Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow, I have been reading through posts about people getting horrible battery life. I've seen some of the fixes and even tried them out. My complaint is this. Why should we have to disable the features on the UBER device we purchased it for? I mean, I want my bluetooth on, I want my GPS enabled. OK, so I was about to die at work (battery of course) and decided to apply the "fixes". My battery life still sucked. So, I check the task manager. Ok, had a couple things running. So, I ended those tasks. Whaqt else? Geez, resort back to not using iut like a mobile office? I'm sure I'll get used to it and adapt, but I'm not happy about it.

Any thoughts?
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    My thoughts are simple: if the phone were thicker in order to accommodate a bigger battery, then folks would complain. If it's thinner, then battery life is an issue. The vast majority of users won't use it the way that many of us on the boards do, so the battery life is acceptable.

I think that 2nd batteries are cheap enough, and then you get the high-end functionality and battery life at the same time.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Battery is perfect for me... Using over 12 hours thoughout a day without charging without anything disabled. J consistantly use internet but not many calls. Soon there will be extended battery options offered but will increase the size of the device. Seidoonline.com will be selling them.

Buy them and deal with a bigger device or simply deal with the phone. Or, rather than COMPLAIN, return the device. The worst people are those that keep it then complain about it after their return policy has expired.
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    Battery is perfect for me... Using over 12 hours thoughout a day without charging without anything disabled. J consistantly use internet but not many calls. Soon there will be extended battery options offered but will increase the size of the device. Seidoonline.com will be selling them.

Buy them and deal with a bigger device or simply deal with the phone. Or, rather than COMPLAIN, return the device. The worst people are those that keep it then complain about it after their return policy has expired.
    People that are complaining are not getting 12 hours of battery life. It's more like 4 hours. I believe that anyone who buys a device for several hundered dollars that was ADVERTISED with a 4 hour TALK time has a RIGHT to complain. Sure, they can return it, but they have the RIGHT to be pissed off that they were misled by advertised specs and this board is AN APPROPRIATE PLACE to do it. I do agree, however, that if they keep the phone past the deadline to return the phone, then they have no squawks. But, so far, that hasn't happened as the phone hasn't been out as long enough for anyone to miss the return deadline.
    i agree 4 hours is ridiculous

with that said, ive had mine off the charger since 12pm, its now almost 3am, im at 40%...

i havent talked more than a few minutes on it today and did some browsing earlier, a text or two...but it does seem to be getting better daily.

i havent had an issue at all with the battery, i found a car charger for fairly cheap, also grabbed a 300wep ear piece that works fine

idk if i lucked out or if some of you guys need to talk to palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    People that are complaining are not getting 12 hours of battery life. It's more like 4 hours. I believe that anyone who buys a device for several hundered dollars that was ADVERTISED with a 4 hour TALK time has a RIGHT to complain. Sure, they can return it, but they have the RIGHT to be pissed off that they were misled by advertised specs and this board is AN APPROPRIATE PLACE to do it. I do agree, however, that if they keep the phone past the deadline to return the phone, then they have no squawks. But, so far, that hasn't happened as the phone hasn't been out as long enough for anyone to miss the return deadline.
    I simply don't believe the people who just get 4 hours from charger.

If so, they are constantly using it for 4 hours (in which case, that is the advertised rate), have wifi on, left GPS open and tracking, etc. If they kill it in 4 hours flat, they are treating it like a laptop replacement, not a smartphone.

I go with end-user first when it comes to smartphone problems.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I can easily drain the battery in 4-5 hours with BT on, GPS Location on, Brightness 100%, EVDO on, Beejive logged on, Push Email, Volume 100%, and along vibrating alerts. The only way I can get decent battery life is if I cripple the device by turning off the majority of the features that led me to buying the phone in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone and am planning on keeping it. Having all of these features definitely comes in handy when I'm in a tight spot. The battery is an major issue to me. I'll have to wait for the extended battery and that should solve my problem and make me completely happy. I can't say that I'm not pleased with the form, it's very nice to carry around.
    I charge my phone twice a day. Obviously I am a heavy user. In all my years before this phone I do not recall charging any device once. Could always make it through a day.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    I can easily drain the battery in 4-5 hours with BT on, GPS Location on, Brightness 100%, EVDO on, Beejive logged on, Push Email, Volume 100%, and along vibrating alerts. The only way I can get decent battery life is if I cripple the device by turning off the majority of the features that led me to buying the phone in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone and am planning on keeping it. Having all of these features definitely comes in handy when I'm in a tight spot. The battery is an major issue to me. I'll have to wait for the extended battery and that should solve my problem and make me completely happy. I can't say that I'm not pleased with the form, it's very nice to carry around.
    Welcome to the real world. Do you use a laptop? Have you ever used a laptop? Have you ever wondered why laptops have settings to maximize battery life and why, when set, it disables many, many things? C'mon, batteries only do so much in this day and age. Batteries have not been improved in years. Devices have but batteries haven't. Why would you seriously expect your battery life to be great on a phone when nothing else in this world has a battery that could do all that. That's like turning on every light, appliance, computer, etc in your house, leaving everything on for a month and then expecting your energy bill to stay the same or improve. Of course the more you do with the phone the faster the battery is going to drain.

I'm sorry if I sound pissy but when I see posts like that it makes me laugh and then it makes me want to vent. As someone already said, Palm can't win on this one. A bigger battery means bigger footprint, people complain. Smaller batter for smaller footprint, people complain.

Wait for the bigger batteries to come out. And they will come out. then you can complain how big the batteries are it makes the Treo just way to big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I simply don't believe the people who just get 4 hours from charger.

I go with end-user first when it comes to smartphone problems.
    I don't think that's fair in this case. 4 hours may not be right, but I'm getting nowhere close to 12. There are two different camps here and we haven't been able to identify what those in the low battery camp are doing differently.

I took a flight yesterday and kept the radio off for most of the time obviously. From a full charge at 7AM, the battery went down to empty by the time I landed at 4PM. PTunes was running for part of the time with the screen off. No web connection, no calls, no GPS, and the battery life was still awful.

Then, I used TomTom to get to my hotel, and the battery was only down to 90 pct after 1 hour driving + screen on+GPS+phone. It's been that way since I got this phone- good battery life, not so good battery life.

I'd love to believe that I'm doing something wrong to cause this problem, so that I can fix it. But I looked at my apps list, and unless Ctrl key pro is a hog, I don't know what it could be.
    There is a 2400 mah battery on ebay for the 800w. I just sent them an email to make sure it will work on my 800w and if it needs & comes with a battery cover. I will post answers and results. I will admit i turned GPS off and the life of the battery is great now probably could go 2 days and i do use the net all day.
    You got GPS (though buggy and crippled), you got WiFi, you got BT, you got the 320x320 screen, you got Exchange and you got Rev.A. What more do you want? You mean actually want to be able to use the features that you paid for?

While some fanboys will suggest that using the internet isn't what this phone was made for and that using any "non-business" features is at your own risk, I agree that Palm messed up on the battery. They could have easily made the battery larger without increasing the thickness of the phone. Plenty of phones out there with the same or more features than the 800w that are also thinner but have larger batteries.
  13.    #13  
    Wow, It seems I have stirred up quite a discussion. Let tag in for a minute.

As I said before I know how I can get better battery life, but I didn't buy this phone for the purpose of having to turn each option on and off when I choose to use it. That slows down the using process considerably. I upgraded from the 650 and could use that phone all day on one charge. I'm not asking much really. I don't talk on the phone that often. I actually use the messaging, email, and internet more often than phone.

I love the phone. I enjoy using it. I haven't even started adding programs or making registry changes yet and I still love it. The battery life is my only issue so far. I will buy the bigger battery when it comes out. I can handle a little added girth for the extended use.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    You are right on the laptop settings - I use a Gateway laptop for everything at the house and make use of the settings. When I have lots to do and I do not want to be on the charger I use 1 setting; when I do not have a lot to do and want the performance, I use a higher setting. Same with the 800W - things on/off as needed.

The battery in my 800W starting having problems holding a charge and it was replaced yesterday at the Sprint store. Otherwise the time I get on the battery has been ok with charging in the car between stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    Welcome to the real world. Do you use a laptop? Have you ever used a laptop? Have you ever wondered why laptops have settings to maximize battery life and why, when set, it disables many, many things? C'mon, batteries only do so much in this day and age. Batteries have not been improved in years. Devices have but batteries haven't. Why would you seriously expect your battery life to be great on a phone when nothing else in this world has a battery that could do all that. That's like turning on every light, appliance, computer, etc in your house, leaving everything on for a month and then expecting your energy bill to stay the same or improve. Of course the more you do with the phone the faster the battery is going to drain.

I'm sorry if I sound pissy but when I see posts like that it makes me laugh and then it makes me want to vent. As someone already said, Palm can't win on this one. A bigger battery means bigger footprint, people complain. Smaller batter for smaller footprint, people complain.

Wait for the bigger batteries to come out. And they will come out. then you can complain how big the batteries are it makes the Treo just way to big.
    This discussion happens everytime a new PDA hits the market - EVERY SINGLE TIME. LOL!

Live with it or live without it......
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    This discussion happens everytime a new PDA hits the market - EVERY SINGLE TIME. LOL!

Live with it or live without it......
    Remarkable, isn't it?

It's deja vu every time a "new" device comes out. I'm glad someone appreciates the merry-go-round in the forums about battery life

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yep and all 'cause we want them thinner.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Get a battery charger and carry an extra battery with you. they are quite small and may even fit in a wallet.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Across the board in all categories, batteries are the slugs of technology. You can't really blame the phone mfg'ers - everyone is stuck with the same 'ol technology. A break through in affordable battery technology would/could revolutionize many industries.

Gotta go, the Exxon KGB are at my door......
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I don't think that's fair in this case. 4 hours may not be right, but I'm getting nowhere close to 12. There are two different camps here and we haven't been able to identify what those in the low battery camp are doing differently.

I took a flight yesterday and kept the radio off for most of the time obviously. From a full charge at 7AM, the battery went down to empty by the time I landed at 4PM. PTunes was running for part of the time with the screen off. No web connection, no calls, no GPS, and the battery life was still awful.

Then, I used TomTom to get to my hotel, and the battery was only down to 90 pct after 1 hour driving + screen on+GPS+phone. It's been that way since I got this phone- good battery life, not so good battery life.

I'd love to believe that I'm doing something wrong to cause this problem, so that I can fix it. But I looked at my apps list, and unless Ctrl key pro is a hog, I don't know what it could be.
    Some are saying their battery may be defective.
    I think one guy said he went to a sprint store and they just gave him a different one and it solved his issues.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast