Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Got a new battery. No questions asked if you have a battery issue Sprint stores are replacing them. I was charging my phone 2 times per day. The guy that helped me has had his 800 for a few days. He had 87% left. We both had about the same usage yet I charged mine twice.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Well, this is my first full day using the 800w and I'm coming from a 700wx. I can honestly say the battery longevity is 1/3 less than the 700wx (that's just over a year old). I should note that I had Wifi and GPS disabled so it is a valid comparison (apples to apples)...

With the same usage I had 10% remaining on my 800w where my 700wx would have had 45%.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Palm took a leson from many other industries and decided to streamline product parts. Instead of creating a new battery for the Treo 800w, Palm decided to use the same battery as in the Centro. This made it a cheap part as there are Centros on all the major carriers and they can buy en masse. Do not be surprised if the Treo 850 (or whatever it is), Centro II or other Palm devices use the exact same battery.

Here is my problem. The Treo 800w is a business phone and Palm even toutes the use of Exchange for "push" e-mail. Who at Palm decided that 8 hours of battery life is enough for a phone? I honestly get about 7-8 hours with "push" e-mail and it barely lasts me through the day. Don't know about everyone else, but I leave home around 8:00 am and get back around 7:00pm. This phone will not last that long! I really like the device otherwise and this is the only problem I have. I'm in limbo as to if I should return it. Just a few more hours of battery would have been perfect. Palm should have really created a larger battery and fill up dead space like many other manufacturers do. Look at the amount of space on the left and right of the battery, the sides of the battery compartment. Imagine if the battery took up that extra space. The battery life wouldn't even be an issue.
    Even with light use, there is no way that I can get through a whole day on one battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Some are saying their battery may be defective.
    I think one guy said he went to a sprint store and they just gave him a different one and it solved his issues.
    I have the 800w battery and two Centro batteries. They've ALL had their periods of outperformance and also of disappointing results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    Welcome to the real world. Do you use a laptop? Have you ever used a laptop? Have you ever wondered why laptops have settings to maximize battery life and why, when set, it disables many, many things? C'mon, batteries only do so much in this day and age. Batteries have not been improved in years. Devices have but batteries haven't. Why would you seriously expect your battery life to be great on a phone when nothing else in this world has a battery that could do all that. That's like turning on every light, appliance, computer, etc in your house, leaving everything on for a month and then expecting your energy bill to stay the same or improve. Of course the more you do with the phone the faster the battery is going to drain.

I'm sorry if I sound pissy but when I see posts like that it makes me laugh and then it makes me want to vent. As someone already said, Palm can't win on this one. A bigger battery means bigger footprint, people complain. Smaller batter for smaller footprint, people complain.

Wait for the bigger batteries to come out. And they will come out. then you can complain how big the batteries are it makes the Treo just way to big.

I stated that I would get the extended battery when it would be released and would be happy. Size isn't the issue, the battery life is. I don't even consider myself a heavy user. I have to constantly watch over the battery. That is no fun. I am sure plenty of you guys are doing this and doing it constantly. I do not trust the current battery to last me the entire day whether or not I turn off all the unnecessary features on the device and I wouldn't bet my life on it either. Ever used the curve? Coming from the 8320, I had no trouble getting through the day. I do live in the real world and in the real world I have high expectations for a $600 device. You mean to tell me that I have to heavily tweak and cripple my device in order to get through the day? Hell, I can't even use the screensaver without draining the battery. Laugh all you want... just because you have low expectations for your investment doesn't mean that I should. If I used WIFI and and GPS, then I'd understand the battery draining but I'm not.

Like I said, I'm loving almost everything about the phone. It has a lot of features that will come in handy when I'm in a tight spot. The only issue I have with this phone is the battery imo. That should be fixed once the extended battery is released.
    what a strange post. about 90% of time people work on laptops they are plugged in. half the laptops probably never move from the desk they are on. cellphones are wireless devices. there are in fact many laptops designed for people who used the battery seriously, say in the same way one would use a mobile handset

a bigger battery doesn't mean a bigger foot print. going to 1800 mah would take less than 10% in weight and thickness for close to a 60% in increase in life.

as far as bigger batteries coming out at $50 plus shipping with covers they will cost likely 25% of the net cost many are paying for the device ($200)

I dont know what you mean by "people complaining" if there were a 5 to 10% increase in weight. do you have examples? most of us are coming from treos already. we are not buying the 800w because we want a thin sexy phone! That is the irony, in pursuit of a factor unimportant to the units market a serious deficiency was created -- one which many users and reviewers are noting.

You seem to be unaware that the target market is businesses users, given the way you frame your comments. it has to go up against blackberries, not toys like instinct. the bb has two to three times the life. or are you going to say turn off everything and not get your mail pushed?

Welcome to the real world. Do you use a laptop? Have you ever used a laptop? Have you ever wondered why laptops have settings to maximize battery life and why, when set, it disables many, many things? .....
    I'm sorry if I sound pissy but when I see posts like that it makes me laugh and then it makes me want to vent. As someone already said, Palm can't win on this one. A bigger battery means bigger footprint, people complain. Smaller batter for smaller footprint, people complain.

Wait for the bigger batteries to come out. And they will come out. then you can complain how big the batteries are it makes the Treo just way to big.
    90% of the time, eh? I love when people pull nummbers out of no where.

"a bigger battery doesn't mean a bigger foot print."

lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lmao
    it is an observation from having laptops since they were first invented (I had a kaypro before that). the number is probably conservative.

a bigger battery dies not mean a bigger footprint. it means in increase of less than 8% in thickness and 10% in weight. I am basing that on simple observations of size and mass of actual batteries and cases in the treo line

Speaking of taking numbers out of the hat, your battery life numbers are at great variance with what many people are posting here. I did not call you on that even though it stretched credibility to the extreme.

you have gone out of your way to denigrate the scores of users here who find the battery life stunning. you simply reject their statements out of hand.

Newsflash: laptops are used as desktop replacements by most people. one jhust has to read the industry press to know this.

The comparison to laptop batteries was what was laughable if not spurious. I travel a lot. in every airport around the world you see people charging their laptops. when people visit business offices they ask to plug in their laptop. you dont see people walking aroudn trying to plug their cellphone in because it has been 6 hours since a charge.
    hannip's numbers agree with mine...care to question his validity too?

you and nxsprime should form a club...its quite entertaining!

ps oh and please quote where I "denigrate the scores of users here who find the battery life stunning. you simply reject their statements out of hand.", I must have missed that one, lol
    I think the club of people who think the battery life is fine is smaller.

Again laptops are typically sitting plugged in. Lower capacity in the battery on a mobile handset is going to mean more charge cycles for user meaning shorter liion life compounded on top of the already short life.

Do you understand that an under capacity battery will lose more of its max charge over 6 to 9 months than a higher capacity battery? ie if you start at 1600 you may loss 200 ma hours in nine months but if you start at 1100 you are likely to lose 300 under the same usage?

Your are on all the battery related threads, which included scores of complaints.

** do yourself a favor and get one of the extra batteries sprint is now giving away for free at stores. While you're there ask what the main issue they are hearing from 800w buyers is...they will tell you -- battery life.

It was the comparison to laptops which was uninformed and to which I responded.
    Last edited by aero; 07/26/2008 at 03:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    How exactly does the fact that many laptops sit on desktops have to do with anything being discussed? As well, BB's are crippled compared to the Treo line. They do, essentially, one thing very well and that's it. You don't see people with BB's doing half the things we do with our Winmob devices. Oh and I fly every week and I"m not sure what airports your in but I see people charging phones constantly. By the way, are you saying that for those of us that use laptops that keeping everything turned up and turned on is the best way to get through a 3 - 6 hour wait at the airport? or the 8 - 9 hour flights to Europe?

If your dealing with batteries, you have to know how to use them to your advantage. And yes a 10% increase is definitely noticeable by people. Look at the threads when a device comes out and everyone starts comparing sizes. It's pretty clear size is an important consideration. Truthfully, the size difference between the 700 and 800 is pretty noticeable. I don't know what the percentage of difference is but it's definitely there and it's good. If the 800 hadn't shrunk there would've been a vocal group that would be peeved.

Just read the posts before the device came out. And stop trying to sound smart by insulting people. sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

lmao
    How can a Mogul have an 1800mAh battery and have the same size footprint as an 1150mAh 800w? HTC must be circumventing the laws of Malatesta's little universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    How can a Mogul have an 1800mAh battery and have the same size footprint as an 1150mAh 800w? HTC must be circumventing the laws of Malatesta's little universe.
    It's a whole different form factor. My guess is that the Mogul battery can occupy more horizontal and vertical space because of the form factor, thus allowing for a physically larger battery.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    later!

<plonk>
    went into the sprint store, told them my battery only lasted 4 hours, they gave me a new battery, allowing me to keep the one that came in the treo 800w and guess what? The battery they gave me will last the whole day, with calls, two hours of watching sling tv. not unhappy at all. Took off charger at 9am it is 5:41 pm and i still have 50 percent. I am certain that a whole batch of bad battery were placed in the units that are giving the poor results. Now this battery outlast the extended battery i had in my touch.
    went into the sprint store, told them my battery only lasted 4 hours, they gave me a new battery, allowing me to keep the one that came in the treo 800w and guess what? The battery they gave me will last the whole day, with calls, two hours of watching sling tv. not unhappy at all. Took off charger at 9am it is 5:41 pm and i still have 50 percent. I am certain that a whole batch of bad battery were placed in the units that are giving the poor results. Now this battery outlast the extended battery i had in my touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by texdoctor View Post
    wow, i'm going to give it a try..do you think i can call cs instead of going in store. i think they're sick and tired of seeing me
    How exactly does the fact that many laptops sit on desktops have to do with anything being discussed?
    Because laptops are often inherently tethered -- plugged in all the time. No one serious compares laptop usage nowadays with cell phones. it is a bit silly.

Just read the posts before the device came out. And stop trying to sound smart by insulting people. sheesh.
    Not insulting anyone. the serious reviews all condemn or criticize the battery life. I am just responding to your attempt at an analogy with laptops when the REAL comparison is other business handsets like Blackberry. Perhaps if you read those reviews you would find them insulting as well?

The battery life is in fact the biggest failing of the device, and that is what Sprint is hearing from their buyers. They are giving away free spare batteries as a result.
    The issue is more simple than comparing other devices. rather just check the volume dimensions and weight of 30% to 70% larger batteries and you realize that on the 800W device overall the footprint could easily remain the same and the thickness increased just a bit. so you could have a device that is smaller than a 700p in footprint and no thicker. really the volume and wight increase in the 800W with an adequate battery would be on the order of 5 to 10%.

On my early posts I said it was a big drawback but water under the bridge. I said I was surprised sprint and palm did not include a second battery as they have often with other handsets in this battery life range. (eg Instinct which has an even longer battery life has two batteries in package).

What they have decided to do is give free second batteries on request due to complaints.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast