Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    why does gpstoday list my address incorrectly? i live at 5828 and it is listing it as 5856. i'm new to gps but it thought it was a pretty exact thing.

also, does having this on my today page run my battery down?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyosaurus View Post
    why does gpstoday list my address incorrectly? i live at 5828 and it is listing it as 5856. i'm new to gps but it thought it was a pretty exact thing.
    GPS can be accurate or not.

Under the settings, you can set the sensitivity. The more sensitive, the more accurate, but the longer time to fix.

The quicker the fix, the less accurate.

You gotta decide what you want.
    Well...

If it's on and live tracking you, then yes..it'll drain your battery.

If it's off and just sitting there as a today plugin, then no it's not draining your battery.

If you use the "quick fix" setting, then it'll drain your battery for about 10-20 seconds till it gets your position.

That whole "it's green!" "now it's red!" icon thing? Yeah, that tells you if you are on or off.

You skipped over the tutorial on the 1st launch, didn't you?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    GPS is fairly precise, however, it's not so much a problem with positioning as it is a problem with the map addressing that is used. I'm not sure what mapping service GPSToday uses (the two big companies are Navteq and TeleAtlas), but they are responsible for encoding addresses to specific geographic locations. Inevitably they mess up. My house has been here for 50+ years but these mapping programs still think I'm at a different address when I'm here - or when I plug in my address they think it's at the end of the street near the next intersection whereas I'm really in the middle of the block. I've just usually program my home address to be whatever the mapping program thinks it should be...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    GPS can be accurate or not.

Under the settings, you can set the sensitivity. The more sensitive, the more accurate, but the longer time to fix.

The quicker the fix, the less accurate.

You gotta decide what you want.

Well...

If it's on and live tracking you, then yes..it'll drain your battery.

If it's off and just sitting there as a today plugin, then no it's not draining your battery.

If you use the "quick fix" setting, then it'll drain your battery for about 10-20 seconds till it gets your position.

That whole "it's green!" "now it's red!" icon thing? Yeah, that tells you if you are on or off.

You skipped over the tutorial on the 1st launch, didn't you?
    i'm still getting used to WM. sometimes i hit a button and it takes me somewhere i didn't want to go. i was going through the tutuorial and i hit some button and it went away. then i didn't know how to get back to it - i even tried reinstalling it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Today I switched back to the Mogul while my 800w is at sprint getting repaired or replaced. I was hearing way too much static using a wired or wireless headset. Wifi was off.

Anyway, when I loaded GPS Today on the mogul I noticed that the map loaded and had 5 buttons at the bottom that I never saw on the Treo 800w.

They are:
    Zoom In
    Zoom Out
    Center on address
    Refresh
    Close.

How do we get to these buttons on the Treo? They must be cut off. This would make the map way more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    Today I switched back to the Mogul while my 800w is at sprint getting repaired or replaced. I was hearing way too much static using a wired or wireless headset. Wifi was off.

Anyway, when I loaded GPS Today on the mogul I noticed that the map loaded and had 5 buttons at the bottom that I never saw on the Treo 800w.

They are:
    Zoom In
    Zoom Out
    Center on address
    Refresh
    Close.

How do we get to these buttons on the Treo? They must be cut off. This would make the map way more useful.
    You quietly wait over there in the corner with your hands folded til the developer makes it fully 320x320 compatible

I've spoken with the developer already and he's working on it as well as a bunch of other really cool features. No ETA, but they've been pretty consistent with updates and I imagine they'll roll a few fixes/new features into the next one.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    LOL. I will be sitting here in the corner then waiting for an announcement.
    Are you going to be patient with your hands folded? That is what we want to know...........................................
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    maybe... it's inconsistent for your own protection... or protection of the government or political people in general. you know, to help discourage the use of gps guided weapons. if it's inconsistent and inaccurate, then they won't want to use it, right? this was discussed at around the time gps was made available to the public.
    Hi, we just released version 0.9.9.1. Here are the new features:

1.) Now includes GeoTerrestrial GeoWeather. Always see the current weather for your current location on the today screen( US Only). Can even be used to check the current weather for any point on the map!
    2.) Now includes GeoTerrestrial GeoLogger. Can be used to log your position updates to a text file on your device.
    3.) Now works on 320x320 (aka the Treo 800w) and 240x240 resolutions.
    4.) Now save the street address for any point on the map to a contact.
    5.) Now you can remove previously saved geo-positions from a contact.
    6.) And other minor fixes and enhancements.

Please download directly to your device from http://m.geoterrestrial.com/

Thanks!
    Don't know what gpstopday uses but for example garmin, navigon, and many others use navteq maps so you can check what you are getting vs google maps to see if the error is inherent to the underlying maps.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I upgraded to the new version. Mine does not give me altitude on the Treo 800. Anybody getting altitude? I was able to get altitude on the mogul when i tested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    I upgraded to the new version. Mine does not give me altitude on the Treo 800. Anybody getting altitude? I was able to get altitude on the mogul when i tested it.
    I get it -- not too accurate (once it was 44ft, now 226, same place) but it is there on my 800.
    Laissez Faire
    Very cool app! Although it lists my address with the wrong city. The map location is correct at least
    This fricking rocks, and has now made obsolete WeatherBug Direct and/or WeatherPanel on my device.
    installed it yesterday - very up to date maps. Yes I blew through the intro screen. While playing with it yesterday I the maps would not scroll while driving, ie i had to manually move the map to keep up. Is that normal
    I did away with the "extra" weather panel add-ons a while back, just added to screen clutter. I like the weather feature also, a nice touch.

As for manual moving - yes that is still a wonderful feature.
    Hi,
    Please note the intro-screen can be accessed again by choosing the "Help" option in the map menu.

You can make the map follow your movement by tapping on the middle icon in the map screen.

About the altitude not being accurate: GPStoday does not do any calculations for the altitude, it simply displays whatever is reported by the GPS driver. We believe that the GPS hardware/drivers that are built into most WM devices are not really optimized for altitude calculation as they are for latitude/longitude. Also note that the greater the number of GPS satellites in view, the better the altitude reporting will be, and the value will not fluctuate as much.

Please also note that the street-address data used in GPSToday is not as upto-date as some other apps from the big companies.

Thanks
    Visit http://forum.geoterrestrial.com/ for reporting issues/discussing new ideas/feature requests etc.
    Good, I did not notice that while playing yesterday.
    With the assistance of user michaelpule we were able to fix the Geotagger such that it should now work as expected on a Treo 800w.

If you already have the Geotagger installed, please tap on "Check for update" in the GPSToday->Map->Options menu.
    If you don't have the geotagger installed, we encourage you to try it out! Tap on "GeoTag Pictures" in the GPSToday->Map->More menu.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast