Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Just wondering if anyone's successfully (or unsuccessfully!) tried to splice the packaged headphones (micro usb and mic part) to a pair of standard headphones. It LOOKS like it would work, but just in case I take it back, I'm hesitant. Anyone??
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I have done it an tested the spliced ends with regular stereo speakers (the straight wire kind). It works. I got a bit involved before I could finish and solder on a regular headphone audio female connector -- but will get to it today or tomorrow.
    Good news. Seems like it would be easy enough for someone to market an adapter.
    take a look at one of my threads titled
    "hmm.. an idea from the past"

the same concept (i believe) was done with the iphone earpieces.

i plan on doing it when the jvc marshmallows go on sale again for $10, since one side of the thing came broken from the factory.

if i have time i will post the link
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    As promised here are the pics of my hack... total cost about $5 and about 30 minutes. It works well -- just need the Palm audio/charge adapter to be complete, but at least I have my music and nav back in my car again. Sometimes it sux to be an early adopter

Seidio has a manufactured cable/adapter coming out in 2-3 weeks from their post here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1469724

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    On how to make this cable out of the stock 800w headset? Pinouts and/or color mapping of wires would be great. I want to make the same cable to be able to finally use my Bose headphones with my 800w!

Thank you,

Robert
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yes, please do post instructions....I tried it thinking the wires would be the normal two copper wire setup found in many regular headphones, but when I cut the wires I saw that it's got the fibrous wires that I have no idea how to splice! Guess I need to learn how to solder! :-p

Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    On how to make this cable out of the stock 800w headset? Pinouts and/or color mapping of wires would be great. I want to make the same cable to be able to finally use my Bose headphones with my 800w!

Thank you,

Robert
    It's just plain stupid that we would have to do this.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yeah...I just got out of an internet chat with one of their tech support people...he referred me to a list of bluetooth headphones...but they would drain the battery and don't sound anywhere near as good as my corded sets...just getting annoyed at this point. Maybe I'll just sell my 800w when the Pro comes out :-p That's a lot of loot to spend just to get what I should have been able to do out of the box though...too bad they have the best phones on the market haha ;-)
    i'm one step away from doing this if something doesn't come out soon.

So what are the instructions?
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    As promised here are the pics of my hack... total cost about $5 and about 30 minutes. It works well -- just need the Palm audio/charge adapter to be complete, but at least I have my music and nav back in my car again. Sometimes it sux to be an early adopter

Seidio has a manufactured cable/adapter coming out in 2-3 weeks from their post here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1469724

if i send you my palm headphones how much would you charge me for this? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonedtseller View Post
    if i send you my palm headphones how much would you charge me for this? thanks
    you need an 8 to 20 watt iron, some shrink tubing, and depending on what you want on the end a 3.5mm 3pole female , 3.5 four pole female, 2.5 female. you can get all at radio shack. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes one you have the stuff
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    What wires from the headset go to what solder points on the female adapter? (3.5mm stereo)...

Thank you,

Robert
    Yes, if someone could do a write up or like some more pointers that would be very helpful. I'm tired of waiting for the JVC marshmallows to go on sale, so this would be a better alternative since it is so versatile.

By the way. whats the difference between those connectors and what are we looking at for a price range?

So this would be great, since my headphones are just sitting in a drawer because one side came broken.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    What wires from the headset go to what solder points on the female adapter? (3.5mm stereo)...

Thank you,

Robert
    In fact you can pry apart the Palm Microphone case (the square block in the center of the cords). There are terminals in there that would make a nice clean look. Rather than take Aero's approach too (using a 3.5mm terminal -- I did consider doing this but it was OOS at my radio shack), I bought a 3.5mm adapter (like this one) and just cut the wires. Inside the black covering, you will find 4 wires (2 colored and 2 copper, one pair for each channel L/R). Some adapters may share the ground (copper wire), in this case you will see 3 wires: Left and Right (colored wires) and 1 copper wire.

After cutting the palm crapsets off the end of the Palm adapter, I stripped those wires (again 4 wires - 2 colored and 2 copper -- one pair in each black casing). Since those thin headphone wires are coated, you have to burn them to remove the insulation (not the thick black outer shell, the colored/copper wires). You can use a soldering iron or as I did, a cigarette lighter (don't burn them too much). There may also be a white thread, this is just to add strength to the cable-- you can ignore/cut it. Once all the wires are stripped I soldered the two adapters together by the wires: color to color and copper to copper. I also used piece of shrink tubing to wrap up my solder job so it was finished and insulated.

All said, it cost me less than $10 although I have solder/soldering iron already -- however if you need to buy one, they are about $8. Depending on your local radio shack you might be able to get someone in the store to solder it for you. It took me longer to go get the 3.5mm adapter than it did to put everything together.

Items needed and cost (plus tax):
    Palm Headsets - $0.00 if you have a 800w
    Soldering iron - $7.99
    Solder - $4.99
    3.5mm Adapter - $6.99
    Shrink tubing -$3.49

Aero do you have pictures of the adapter you made that you can post?
    Last edited by insol; 08/31/2008 at 05:20 PM.
    In fact you can pry apart the Palm Microphone case (the square block in the center of the cords). There are terminals in there that would make a nice clean look. Rather than take Aero's approach too (using a 3.5mm terminal -- I did consider doing this but it was hard to find at my radio shack), I bought a 3.5mm adapter (like this one) and just cut the wires. Inside the black covering, you will find 4 wires (2 colored and 2 copper, one pair for each channel L/R). Some adapters may share the ground (copper wire), in this case you will see 3 wires: Left and Right (colored wires) and 1 copper wire.

After cutting the palm crapsets off the end of the Palm adapter, I stripped those wires (again 4 wires - 2 colored and 2 copper -- one pair in each black casing). Since those thin headphone wires are coated, you have to burn them to remove the insulation (not the thick black outer shell, the colored/copper wires). You can use a soldering iron or as I did, a cigarette lighter (don't burn them too much). There may also be a white thread, this is just to add strength to the cable-- you can ignore/cut it. Once all the wires are stripped I soldered the two adapters together by the wires: color to color and copper to copper. I also used piece of shrink tubing to wrap up my solder job so it was finished and insulated.

All said, it cost me less than $10 although I have solder/soldering iron already -- however if you need to buy one, they are about $8. Depending on your local radio shack you might be able to get someone in the store to solder it for you. It took me longer to go get the 3.5mm adapter than it did to put everything together.

Soldering iron - $7.99
    Solder - $4.99
    3.5mm Adapter - $6.99
    Shrink tubing -$3.49

And this is hard for Seidio and Palm because ??

BigMots
    Insol has the best method.
    You have to leave the small switch box because the wiring by palm is proprietary between the usb and through the switch box.
    It is neater to direct connect your headphones, but leaving a 3.5 female give you the options of different headphones. just find the cheapest easiest way to get the female end

As far as Seidio keep in mind the 800w appears to be a one time use of this scheme by Palm. they had separate jacks before the 800w and went back to them right after (pro). The body size is a one time deal too. With verizon reportedly deciding against picking up the 800w we are an even smaller customer set with a unique need that will remain unique. we are lucky zagg and sena put their items, and seidio committed to a battery back, before the apparent verizon decsion and and pro news .
    Last edited by aero; 08/31/2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    As far as Seidio keep in mind the 800w appears to be a one time use of this scheme by Palm. they had separate jacks before the 800w and went back to them right after (pro).
    What do you mean? My 700wx certainly did no have a 3.5mm jack. It had a 2.5mm. What Palm phone included a 3.5mm jack?

Also, the Treo Pro was completely designed and done by HTC where as the 800w was mostly done by Palm (HTC may have done some of the hardware; I don't know). I don't know if Palm will continue with this trend.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    In fact you can pry apart the Palm Microphone case (the square block in the center of the cords). There are terminals in there that would make a nice clean look. Rather than take Aero's approach too (using a 3.5mm terminal -- I did consider doing this but it was OOS at my radio shack), I bought a 3.5mm adapter (like this one) and just cut the wires. Inside the black covering, you will find 4 wires (2 colored and 2 copper, one pair for each channel L/R). Some adapters may share the ground (copper wire), in this case you will see 3 wires: Left and Right (colored wires) and 1 copper wire.

Soldering iron - $7.99
    Solder - $4.99
    3.5mm Adapter - $6.99
    Shrink tubing -$3.49

Rats...I cut the earbuds off my stock 800w headset just below the buds and the pair twisted wires aren't insulated, so looks like a few red strands are mixed with the silver. The radio shack stereo y-adaptor has 3 wires; 1 red, 1 black and uninsulated silver. I soldered the 3 reds and 3 silvers and got sound but I'm missing something. If I hold the uninsulated silver from the RS adaptor to either the red or silver from the stock headset it improves in that one channel, but not both.

Any ideas?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast