Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    Isn't that 2.5mm? Aren't standard headphones 3.5mm?
    And its mono!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    Isn't that 2.5mm? Aren't standard headphones 3.5mm?
    ok...that plus this $1.50 adapter, available at Radio Shack...

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/fr...fdate=9_3_2008
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Again, thanks to all who did this previously. Here are the pictures from my mod. I shortened the lead cable so there wasn't so much extra hanging around. I also reused both cable stress releivers.

Nice mod mabmarc!!! And you guys wonder why Seidio will not sell their own adapter, when guys like mabmarc can mod our current one for only a few bucks.
    That's pretty munny bag$ i gotta say. Makes me want to redo mine except I hacked my 3.5mm too short I think I have another one laying around tho so maybe some day I will go pro-style like you haha.

Only thing is you can't really use the mic too well with the phone in your pocket or holster with your shortened design. I also hacked the leads on the other end pretty close to the mic since i muffed up so many times soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    Again, thanks to all who did this previously. Here are the pictures from my mod. I shortened the lead cable so there wasn't so much extra hanging around. I also reused both cable stress releivers.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    Only thing is you can't really use the mic too well with the phone in your pocket or holster with your shortened design.
    True. I mainly use it in the car where it hangs on the dash. So I think I will be close enough to the mic that the other person can hear me.
    True. I mainly use it in the car where it hangs on the dash. So I think I will be close enough to the mic that the other person can hear me.
    How is the talk quality with this setup? Can people at other end hear you well and clearly? Any noise/interference?
    Yes, it is 2.5mm. And it works perfectly for existing cell phone style mono headsets w/ microphone. It does not work for either stereo nor 3.5 mm.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    That's very nice work. Any tricks to popping open the little box? I always seem to destroy them during the process.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    How is the talk quality with this setup? Can people at other end hear you well and clearly? Any noise/interference?
    The talk quality is as good as the regular connected Palm headset. I made a few calls this morning and nobody complained.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    That's very nice work. Any tricks to popping open the little box? I always seem to destroy them during the process.
    I took a tip from the earlier post and put the screw drive into the hole under the stress reliever. It caused a little damage but still fit back together well and no damage visible on the outside. I think they use glue on the casing to hold it together.
    After more testing I am certain that the sound quality with my hacked Palm headset in combo with my ER4's is not nearly as good as the Jabra BT3030 adapter with my ER4's and hannips script. Volume is lower and dynamic range is much less. It really does not sound any better than it did with the Palm ear buds on it.

Also my mic / phone control box heats up a little when I use my hacked adapter. This makes me think that I might have screwed up the soldering a bit? What do others think? Can anyone confirm that there's heats up as well?

TIA
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Nice mod mabmarc!!! And you guys wonder why Seidio will not sell their own adapter, when guys like mabmarc can mod our current one for only a few bucks.
    There's obviously a great deal of circuitry in the box. Which means they would either have to duplicate it on their own (with or without microphone and button functionality) or get a cut rate deal on a whole slew of the Palm boxes and re-work them. If we were talking about user numbers in the iPhone range, then maybe, but I can see why they may decide this simply isn't worth it. On the other hand, since Palm already has most of this "product" built, I wonder if they would ever offer an altered version, without the mic/button, for stereo 3.5" output.

Mabmarc, I'm still gaga over your work. You must have a very good soldering hand, those points look ridiculously small. I'm thinking I might just do a splice outside the box and cover it with heat shrink tubing, because I can't really see myself soldering on that board with any real accuracy.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Can this be done direct, bypassing the "talk box"?
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    Can this be done direct, bypassing the "talk box"?
    No since Audio data (in USB protocol format) being carried over USB data wires (D+/D-) need to be converted into AUDIO signals. Hence the chip in the talk box.

I have not opened up the 'talk box' on my headset. I am curious to know the chip manufacturer, id,etc. If somebody noted it down, please share.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    The chip says:

CM108
    MPY4P
    UYD1PC-GS
    U808

I don't recognize the "c"-like logo (inside a square).

Incidentally, the box is ridiculously easy to split open - there are no clips holding it together, just glue. So put a tiny (2-3mm wide) screwdriver in there and twist, then move to a new spot a few mm away and do it again. Repeat until you go all the way around and the box just comes apart like it's made of corn flakes.
    The chip says:

CM108
    MPY4P
    UYD1PC-GS
    U808

I don't recognize the "c"-like logo (inside a square).
    Thanks. Probably this is the chip. Datasheet on this page could probably give some idea of audio quality coming out of the "talk box".
    One of the line in there says "48K / 44.1KHz Sampling Rate for Both Playback and Recording".

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/USB/CM108
    Last edited by bkdude; 09/05/2008 at 08:48 PM.
    yeah it all makes sense now why seidio took a pass. shame on palm tho for not releasing an adapter. well i am happy with my spliced adapter and my qc2's sound excellent. only distorion i get is if i raise the low frequency gain on the eq in pocket tunes too high. but my q did the same thing with the seidio adapter so i think its normal. i am a happy camper but i would have rather spent 10 bucks on something premade. it is kind of cool to have the mic box but it must look wierd talking on it with headphones on. i know it works well cuz i called goog411 and it knows what i am saying.
    Performed the operation with a little help this afternoon. Took all of 20 minutes, including the part where the button fell out of the box and we had to rescue it back from the cats.

The sound quality with good headphones is pretty incredible!

To all of you who did the legwork on this - THANK YOU!!!

(I left the lead long so I could use the mic if necessary, and will find a cord winder.)
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Mabmarc, I'm still gaga over your work. You must have a very good soldering hand, those points look ridiculously small. I'm thinking I might just do a splice outside the box and cover it with heat shrink tubing, because I can't really see myself soldering on that board with any real accuracy.
    When I did my mod I cut all the old wires so just the ends hung off the board. Then I used tweezers to pull each wire one by one using the solder iron to heat the solder points. Once they were removed I prepped the new wires to be soldered by stripping 1/8 of the housing off the end of each little wire. To solder the wires to the little contacts I used a small jewelers screwdriver to hold the end of the wire just past the solder point so the wire was over top of the solder point. Then I used the solder iron to heat the wire over the solder point and let the old solder begin to melt then release the solder gun so it would harden. The solder iron was the $8 wand from radio shack with a point on the end. I didn't have to add any extra solder to any point on the device.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast