Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    as a long time palm girl, i'm having trouble with all this WM business.

what exactly is live search and is it something i want occupying space on the today screen? or is the google one better?

and then i see the live search on the today screen and then all those other options when you go into the program itself. what's up with that?

can you help a girl out?
    honestly...i have both on my 800.

I use Live more than Google now, due to the GPS locating of business, and gas, and traffic.

And I do not use the Today plugin's, I go into the program. Reason being, I do not use Live search everyday, and I would rather have my today screen filled with things that I use daily.
    I use both as well... when on the road I like to compare... but I do use Live more than google... both are good to have.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I use Google, Live is ok, but I feel google is better and provides more info. I don't have it on my today screen, but I have it mapped to my side button. With Google maps and My Location, it works perfect at finding every thing
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I use both as well. Google is quicker to find businesses near the GPS location. Live search makes you label the location everytime you do a search, which is an extra step in the process.

Live search is great because it gives turn by turn directions. When you center the map on gps and routing, it has a pop up that counts down the distance until your next turn. It then chimes you about 30 seconds before, and then again right at the turn. Pretty good navigation for free. The updated version, available from the menu soft key, also looks up the general weather for that location. Google Maps doesn't follow you in a moving map situation or give you distance countdowns like Live Search.

Edit-Live Search will also ask you if you want to recalculate the route if you go off-route, just like a normal GPS.

Both have their advantages, just depends what you want at the time.
    Last edited by EMB Driver; 07/23/2008 at 07:18 PM.
    After installing the live search update..does anyone have 2 live search icons in there programs folder?
    Yes! I would love to remove the older one "LiveUpdate" versus "Live Update".
    When I access Google maps, it says "Your handset doesn't seem to be compatible with my location (beta)"
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    When I access Google maps, it says "Your handset doesn't seem to be compatible with my location (beta)"
    You have to open the Menu and select "Use GPS". Give it a few seconds, then try it again. It should work.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Yes! I would love to remove the older one "LiveUpdate" versus "Live Update".
    Me too. I tried browsing to the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs on my PC but when I try to remove LiveSearch.lnk it says I don't have the permission to do this. Is there a way around this?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

11. rex
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Me too. I tried browsing to the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs on my PC but when I try to remove LiveSearch.lnk it says I don't have the permission to do this. Is there a way around this?
    I was able to remove the duplicate in the ppc using file explorer.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Delete it from the Treo instead of your PC.
    I installed the new update to Live Search. Unfortunately, it did not uninstall the old version (I have two programs titled Live Search). I tried to remove Live Search completely via remove programs option. But, now all traces are gone except in Windows folder, Live Search is still there. After installing with the newest .cab file, I still find that the Live Search system file in the Windows folder calls up the old version. What can I do to remove this old version and replace it with the new? Anyone else experiencing this issue?
    The old version is in ROM, and cannot be removed.

Simply install the new version, and then delete the shortcut to the old one.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I use both..but google seems faster and I love for the ability to show details and weblinks to like zagat.com when I search for restaurants. It has helped me immensely in the last 4 days while here in NYC. I love the categories on Live Search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The old version is in ROM, and cannot be removed.

Simply install the new version, and then delete the shortcut to the old one.
    Thanks, I searched throughout the phone and deleted the links to the old version and installed the newer one. All is well again.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I like the google interface. It is pretty. I like the traffic thing. It is sooo cool.

I install Live one time but I didnt like the graphic.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post

Live search is great because it gives turn by turn directions. When you center the map on gps and routing, it has a pop up that counts down the distance until your next turn. It then chimes you about 30 seconds before, and then again right at the turn. Pretty good navigation for free. The updated version, available from the menu soft key, also looks up the general weather for that location.

Edit-Live Search will also ask you if you want to recalculate the route if you go off-route, just like a normal GPS.
    How do you make Live search driving directions to notify you of the turn and how do you get those pop ups?
    What I do is:

1) Launch Live search
    2) Tap the Map icon
    3) Right soft key, then Center on GPS. I do this to make sure the map is in the correct area when doing the search.
    4) Once centered, right soft key again and search near here.
    5)(I hate this step) Name the location. I just leave it "Map Location" and keep rewriting over the previous one. I don't feel like typing something new everytime.
    6)This brings you back to the main menu. Type what you're looking for( Ie-Best Buy, Pizza Hut, Lowes, whatever). It will return a list of results.
    7) When you find a result you want, tap it. It brings up a screen with info like address, phone number, etc
    8) In the bottom left, tap "directions to here" on the screen (not the soft key adjacent to it)
    9) This screen is your start and finish points. Tap "route"
    10) Tap "Map". It shows an overview of your route
    11) Finally Hit right soft key once more and reselect "center on gps"

The map will follow you, will alert you with tones of approaching turns and has a popup that remains at the bottom, counting down the distance to your turn.

I realize this is labor intensive, but it becomes second nature, and is great in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    What I do is:

1) Launch Live search
    2) Tap the Map icon
    3) Right soft key, then Center on GPS. I do this to make sure the map is in the correct area when doing the search.
    4) Once centered, right soft key again and search near here.
    5)(I hate this step) Name the location. I just leave it "Map Location" and keep rewriting over the previous one. I don't feel like typing something new everytime.
    6)This brings you back to the main menu. Type what you're looking for( Ie-Best Buy, Pizza Hut, Lowes, whatever). It will return a list of results.
    7) When you find a result you want, tap it. It brings up a screen with info like address, phone number, etc
    8) In the bottom left, tap "directions to here" on the screen (not the soft key adjacent to it)
    9) This screen is your start and finish points. Tap "route"
    10) Tap "Map". It shows an overview of your route
    11) Finally Hit right soft key once more and reselect "center on gps"

The map will follow you, will alert you with tones of approaching turns and has a popup that remains at the bottom, counting down the distance to your turn.

I realize this is labor intensive, but it becomes second nature, and is great in a pinch.

I did exactly this and do not get any audio alerts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast