Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Please see the pictures. Look at the MicroUSB connector. The colors are different.

    I put them side by side to compare. I found out that the one with black connector has much better speaker (volume, quality) but the screen color is not as vivid as the other one; the one with a white connector has extremely horrible speaker quality. You just can't turn on speaker when you talk to people. It's gonna kill you. And when you play music the speaker sounds like mono.

    Can somebody start a Poll about this? Sorry I am a newbie here and I don't know how to do it.

    This is my first treo and to tell you the truth I am disappointed. Both of my phones have problem with USB charging. When I first connect them to the computer, they are fine. They are charging. But after I tether for a while, the batteries become really hot and they start draining.

    It seems my mogul and touch can't get retired now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    well mine is definitely the black connector...but i still have the cracking speaker sound at different time.....but i guess i wouldn't know if mine is better then the other one...
  3. lilboi's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #3  
    Mne is white and i still have the issue with the speaker. I think the speaker is a general issue, nothing specific to batch.
  4. #4  
    I got whitey.
  5. #5  
    Sometimes it seems like there are two versions of my own 800w. It's inconsistent on sooo many levels, but still great.
  6. #6  
    I wouldn't say the USB connector color means there are two versions. Different manufacturing plants can use USB ports from different companies. The same plant could've had 2 shipments of USB ports from 2 different places (to make sure they got enough). Could be a number of other reasons. Just means they're not from the same exact line of production. The speaker quality is just a coincidence, imo.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemaverickly View Post
    They are charging. But after I tether for a while, the batteries become really hot and they start draining.
    Anyone knows what's causing this? Mine's the same
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    I got whitey.
    +1
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdps2 View Post
    I wouldn't say the USB connector color means there are two versions. Different manufacturing plants can use USB ports from different companies. The same plant could've had 2 shipments of USB ports from 2 different places (to make sure they got enough). Could be a number of other reasons. Just means they're not from the same exact line of production. The speaker quality is just a coincidence, imo.
    Most logical explanation.

    To prove there were to different versions you'd need to open them up and start pulling numbers off the boards and such.
  10. #10  
    about the tethering and batery drain. I don't have a 800w (yet) but the best explanation is that your 800w needs more power during tethering than the usb trickle charger from your laptop can supply. charging off of a computer usb port is a trickle charge because of the low current and it is a lot less powerful than plugging into the wall or your vehicle. the fact that the 800 has a mini usb jack has nothing to do with it. it is just a connector, period.

    when I tether my palm os treos, I use the sync cable that also allows me to connect my wall or vehicle charger.

    I would hope a solution like that will be available for the 800w so we can tether and charge at the same time.
  11. #11  
  12. #12  
    Stupid theory
  13. #13  
    Maybe the WiFi bug is causing the problem or maybe the GPS bug or maybe just shoddy manufacturing standards.
  14. #14  
    To the OP: can you please post a comparison shot of the difference in the two screens' colors? That's far more interesting than the color of the microUSB connector.

    Todd/Indy
  15.    #15  
    I will try to do it sometime this week. Sorry I have been busy lately.


    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    To the OP: can you please post a comparison shot of the difference in the two screens' colors? That's far more interesting than the color of the microUSB connector.

    Todd/Indy
  16. #16  
    I'm just upset I'm not looking at a mini-usb connector.

    i've got a white one
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    I'm just upset I'm not looking at a mini-usb connector.
    Perhaps you can take comfort in the fact that many giants of the mobile industry got together and decided that MicroUSB should be the standard connector. So while today only certain phones have it, in the future, if all goes well, most accessories will be MicroUSB.

    Sucks being early with new standards though.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Perhaps you can take comfort in the fact that many giants of the mobile industry got together and decided that MicroUSB should be the standard connector. So while today only certain phones have it, in the future, if all goes well, most accessories will be MicroUSB.

    Sucks being early with new standards though.
    I bet the people who complained about having only USB ports on their iMacs in 1997 aren't complaining now!

Posting Permissions