1.    #1  
    Coming from Palm OS, I'm confused about applications staying open on the 800w. Some applications have an exit option in their menu and others don't. Apparently, clicking the X in the top right corner only closes the window but leaves the application open and using memory.

It is interesting to go into Task Manager and see the programs that I used and thought that I had quit are still using up memory. Task Manager has an "end all tasks" option that I've been using to get back to a clean slate but it seems strange that staying open is often the default behavior when clicking the X.

Is that how it is supposed to work? Will the 800w slow to a crawl if all of the one time use programs such as help, activesync, wireless manager, etc stay open once I'm done with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Coming from Palm OS, I'm confused about applications staying open on the 800w. Some applications have an exit option in their menu and others don't. Apparently, clicking the X in the top right corner only closes the window but leaves the application open and using memory.

It is interesting to go into Task Manager and see the programs that I used and thought that I had quit are still using up memory. Task Manager has an "end all tasks" option that I've been using to get back to a clean slate but it seems strange that staying open is often the default behavior when clicking the X.

Is that how it is supposed to work? Will the 800w slow to a crawl if all of the one time use programs such as help, activesync, wireless manager, etc stay open once I'm done with them?
    This is typical of all Winows Mobile phones. You can search this forum for apps that provide true exit functionality when you close them rather than just minimizing them. Personally I have found that I like Wisbar Lite...but you can look to see what app would work best for you.
    I just leave them all open then close stuff before I go to bed. The treo has plenty of memory, and it has never been a problem for me. Plus, it makes switching between programs better (faster, more convinient to stay at one place) because they stay open like multiple programs on a computer.
    I would suggest only closing heavy programs that are likely to use background processor cycles (like Opera Mobile for example), but small apps like calender, activesync,file manager, pocket IE etc doesn't really cause any slowdown or excess battery use if left open.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder how these open programs influence battery life.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    look for "Magic Button", it's freeware and works great. has some very handy features built-in....