Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I've been doing some minor research on both the new Htc Touch Pro which is scheduled for release later on in 2008 in the U.S. and the 800w which as most of you probably know is already out. Though most of you in this section like me are probably still using the 700w/wx, I'm assuming that the 800 has caught a lot of attention as it has gotten mine. However, I'm hearing many things about the 800w that are making me "iffy" such as poor battery time, lack of bt voice commands, etc. It seems that the Htc Touch makes up in every area that the 700wx lacks and Palm in general. The Touch has a much better camera and flash, rotating touch screen, higher expansion memory, and a load of other features in which I will not go into but will post a link for any of you interested. I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with HTC and what your experiences have had or heard. Granted I could go on an HTC forum but for right now I'm a loyal Palm user but am curious about this phone. Has anyone else heard anything?

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=49518
    I know what I know. I know what I don't know. I don't know what I know.
    The 800w seems to be optimized for efficiency, while the Touch series seemed to be designed for style. Its a question of priorities.

Surur
    Nothing on the HTC Touch Pro yet, but if you want to read some early feedback on the Diamond, you can check out the CNET asia site. There's also some discussion from UK users as the Diamond rolls out over there. They had just as many problems with the early Diamonds as we do with the 800w. They seem to be resolving some of the major issues like slugishness, poor battery life, and overheating with ROM updates, but I'm glad it wasn't released in the US first. Hopefully, by the time it's released here, most of the major bugs will be fixed.

I've never owned an HTC smartphone or one without a keyboard, but one of the complaints about the Mogul I found interesting was the D-pad was too low which made one-handed operation difficult. Since they're going for max screen size, the Diamond and the Raphael won't address that. I can make do without a keyboard available on the front since I mainly type with both hands, but I frequently use the D-pad for one-handed operation. Perhaps the touch-flo will render it a moot point.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info furiousyellow. That is exactly what I was hoping somebody would post since there's really not much info on it yet. I haven't checked out what you mentioned yet but I will soon. It looks like a really cool phone and I am curious as to how many of the quirks will be worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    one of the complaints about the Mogul I found interesting was the D-pad was too low which made one-handed operation difficult..
    I completely agree with this; can't use my wife's Mogul because it doesn't balance well with the d pad so low. I love my 700wx for that reason, among others. However I am very very interested in the supposed TV out feature of the Touch Pro which I would use with Slingplayer while travelling.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Nothing on the HTC Touch Pro yet, but if you want to read some early feedback on the Diamond, you can check out the CNET asia site. There's also some discussion from UK users as the Diamond rolls out over there. They had just as many problems with the early Diamonds as we do with the 800w. They seem to be resolving some of the major issues like slugishness, poor battery life, and overheating with ROM updates, but I'm glad it wasn't released in the US first. Hopefully, by the time it's released here, most of the major bugs will be fixed.

I've never owned an HTC smartphone or one without a keyboard, but one of the complaints about the Mogul I found interesting was the D-pad was too low which made one-handed operation difficult. Since they're going for max screen size, the Diamond and the Raphael won't address that. I can make do without a keyboard available on the front since I mainly type with both hands, but I frequently use the D-pad for one-handed operation. Perhaps the touch-flo will render it a moot point.
    I have continued to do some research on this phone and for the most part, you are right, there really isn't much info on the Touch Pro. I've read some basic reviews but nothing worth posting a link for on here. All I can gather is that it is slated for release sometime this year whether it be the end of summer or later, I'm not quite sure. It's really got my interest though.
    For me the major differences are:

1) Sliders become a real hassle.

2) Touch Pro has more memory.

3) Touch pro has a bigger, higher resolution screen.

Those are the major issues for me, the biggest issue being the slider issue. I have had a PPC 6700, ATT Tilt and a PPC 6800 and they are just not as convenient as all my treos have been. I get sick to death of sliding the phone open and closed all the time. I am always lured in by the better screen and then always regret it for the next year. I end up spending a ton of time looking for the best on screen keyboard so I can get away with not sliding the dang phone open as much,,,,,,,,,,, but all on-screen keyboards are lousy!