Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I sometimes have problems with my work laptop (Vista business) as well as my home desktop (Vista Home Premium) connecting to my 800w. I'll sometimes need to plug/unplug it a few times and/or do a soft reset by pulling the battery. Sometimes, though it works right away. Anyone else having a similar problem? Any ideas if it's something that can be solved or is it just some buggy hardware/software on the 800w or something buggy about the Windows drivers?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    i have the same problem with the 800w not reconnecting after disconnect/reconnecting a few times. i have to unplug the usb cable (NOT while it's synchronizing) and take the phone with me every time i walk out of the office (frequently). restarting my HP laptop (2.5ghz core duo w/ Vista Ultimate) fixes the problem, but it's a hassle. sync'ing with bluetooth is more reliable. too bad the new usb cable doesn't have that sync button that came with the previous version Treo's. the "safely unplug" icon in the system tray doesn't show the 800w as something you can "stop" to safely unplug the usb. also tried looking for a way to manually end and reset the usb connection to the 800w, but haven't found a way, yet. any Vista o.s. experts in here?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Im having the same issue on XP
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Me too. It is dificult to get the sync program to detect the 800w.
    so far no problems at all with mine syncing to vista business or my xp pro machines.

only thing i suggest is to not have it plugged into a usb hub.
    700WX -> 800W -> Touch Diamond -> Pre?
    Same issue. Bluetooth works great though.

It seems to be an issue with something running that is accessing things it shouldn't be (or at least that's what the error messages would lead me to believe).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k4mach View Post
    only thing i suggest is to not have it plugged into a usb hub.
    Mine is directly plugged in.
    For me, USB hub or not doesn't matter. If I wiggle the plug in the phone left-to-right it will recognize. I think it's just poor tolerances for the phone's USB plug.
    Same problem here. VERY inconsistent.
    Ditto - thought it was just me.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    It's funny, because I've always had a similar problem with other Treos having a flaky connection to either a power supply or the syc cable/power supply. It was really annoying. I also don't understand why this should happen for so many years - you would think if it's a design flaw, they would have fixed it by now! But I really thought with this kind of standard cable, that it would be more reliable. I guess not! I suppose I'll have to start using USB and just plug the phone into the wall to charge (I plugged it into my laptop this morning and by the time I went to check on it an hour or so later not only had it not recognized it, but it wasn't even charging it!).

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    did you check the advanced featurs box under settings/connections/usb to pc
    many people (inlcuding me) have had issues with this setting being checked and usb sync.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    did you check the advanced featurs box under settings/connections/usb to pc
    many people (inlcuding me) have had issues with this setting being checked and usb sync.
    Hmmm, this is looking promising, thanks for the tip. I unchecked it and so far it's being a lot more reliable! And the safe unplug option now comes up as well.

If you notice that the phone doesnt power off when connected to a pc, the screen just dims. I noticed I start having problems when I press the power button on the phone, you can hear the usb device being dissconnected in windows.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Anyone seeing this happen when charging? Mine is on its way and I just read a review that said the device will sometimes not recognize the charger when plugged in.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    I sometimes have problems with my work laptop (Vista business) as well as my home desktop (Vista Home Premium) connecting to my 800w. I'll sometimes need to plug/unplug it a few times and/or do a soft reset by pulling the battery. Sometimes, though it works right away. Anyone else having a similar problem? Any ideas if it's something that can be solved or is it just some buggy hardware/software on the 800w or something buggy about the Windows drivers?
    I have the same problem. It looks like a driver issue, but I want to point out that it is not an issue with Windows drivers. Windows is running fine correct?

This is a common misconception about Vista and driver issues. It is up to Palm and other hardware manufactures to get their drivers working on the OS they choose to support.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    I have the same problem. It looks like a driver issue, but I want to point out that it is not an issue with Windows drivers. Windows is running fine correct?

This is a common misconception about Vista and driver issues. It is up to Palm and other hardware manufactures to get their drivers working on the OS they choose to support.

I wasn't blaming MS, if that's what your post was inferring. I mainly meant the drivers that are for the Windows OS, weather they were created by Palm or MS, I don't really care...

I have same problem on my laptop which has no other problems with usb devices and sync. vista home prem.
    It has nothing to do with computer drivers as I've had problems with the connector working on OS X, XP, and Vista. Including 2 OS X machines, 2 XP machines.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure its a software on device issue or a hardware problem with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    It has nothing to do with computer drivers as I've had problems with the connector working on OS X, XP, and Vista. Including 2 OS X machines, 2 XP machines.
    It could very well be drivers. Just because drivers work for you or specific machines doesn't mean they work for everyone.

My Mogul, 700wx and other phones always connect correctly on the first try. My 800w, dispite being fresh with no additional software has connection issues.

I don't think it's a hardware issue because you can change settings on the phone, such as toggling advanced usb networking, and it will work (if it was a hardware issue, it would not work regardless of software options).

I'd be willing to bet it's a driver issue either the one the 800w installs (since all phones have their own drivers) or a driver issue on the phone itself.

Fyi, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
    I think I've figured it out (or at least my problem).

ActiveSync will not connect when you are in "screen saver" mode. The home screen needs to be live for it to connect and even then, it may take a few seconds to connect. If you connect in screen saver mode then hit the end key to wake it, it still won't connect. The USB connection must be made while home screen is active. Also, it seems as though it doesn't like connecting after immediately being woken up from the screen saver. Waiting about 5 seconds seemed to do the trick.

Try this and report back.

One last thing - Hello, I'm new here. Great board you've got.
    cup & string
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast