Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I've spent hours in the last week playing with my new toy, excited at first, then more and more anoyed in the process.

1) half-broken GPS
    2) small battery
    3) no way to record phone calls
    4) no accessories/car kit
    5) no dedicated headset jack - no way to listen through wired headset/connect to car stereo and charge at the same time
    6) screen is too small for WM
    7) lack of applications supporting 320x320 without glitches

I'm going back to 755p, will give WM another chance when HTC Diamond/Raphael comes out or Palm comes out with a really god ROM update for 800w
    My phone is completely hooked up more than any palm could ever be. took a little patients but everythings running better than ever, nice and neat, and completely customized.

wired headset jack? hah..
    I'm going to have to burst your bubble and say WM is alway a work in progress. That is the beauty of it.

I do not blame you switching back to what you are comfortable with. I would be the same way using a palm OS or other OS like a Black Berry. It's kind of like switching from a Mac OS to Windows. It takes some time to get use to.

From what I have seen, not alot of people switch from PalmOS to WM. Same goes with people trying to go to WM to PalmOS.

I can't wait for HTC Pro to come out too. I am getting one of those when it release later this year. I am pretty sure though it will not beat palms keyboard or one handed godness, but it is sure pretty.
    fyi,

2,3,4 & 5 will also apply to the Diamond/Raphael.

actually, 5 can be solved with an adapter to dual charge & listen on all three devices

Diamond also has no expansion slot for memory--just 4gb.

7 will apply somewhat too as VGA is less common than qvga.
    Half broke GPS?

Assisted GPS is allot faster. I have a separate GPS BT receiver that I used to use on my 700wx. It takes about 30 seconds for it to (cold start) boot up and and more to acquire my position, which I can check via the LEDs on it. I can then startup my GPS program (Garmin or TomTom). With my 800w, I can pretty much startup my GPS program and it will acquire my position withing a few seconds.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    peace
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootup View Post
    peace
    The 800w is a nice snappy device and I wanted it to work but I'm considering going back to my Q9c. I prefer the Q9c sound quality, bright screen and keyboard over the 800w.
    Im giving mine another week. So far I can deal with everything but the battery life. Yesterday I had to charge it twice after pulling it off the charger at 8am. This is just sad.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    The only practical drawback of PalmOs compared to WM for me is that WM has much more software available. Psychologically PalmOS is no longer developed and is kind of dead in the long term, however right now it does pretty much everything it has to. I love my 755p, it's stable, reliable and fun so I have no problem waiting a little bit longer for a better WM device. HTC looks more attractive because of the effort they did to make the custom phone interface so device fills like a phone when you need it to be. I'm sure 800w can probably customized to do this too one day. For now i didn't find a way to make a green button take me to a real phone application even with "diamond minimal dialpad" it only works 2 out of 10 times. I love my 755p, it's stable, reliable and fun so I have no problem waiting a little bit longer for a better WM device
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    The 800w is a nice snappy device and I wanted it to work but I'm considering going back to my Q9c. I prefer the Q9c sound quality, bright screen and keyboard over the 800w.
    I'm fighting this mental battle, too. If the 800w weren't so much faster (data throughput) I'd stay with the Q9c... Decisions, decisions...

Todd/Indy
    I too am wanting to go back to the Q9c! Its the battery thats killing me! Please tell me that someone will bring out an extended battery with the twice the power.. because if thats not the case. I have to go back to the Q9c
    Sprint Palm Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    1) half-broken GPS
    Agreed. We shouldn't have to be using 3rd party apps to access the GPS.
    2) small battery
    Agreed. There's no reason they couldn't have shrunk the device a bit more to accommodate a ~1500mah battery.
    3) no way to record phone calls
    You can't do this natively on any WM or Palm device.
    4) no accessories/car kit
    Do you mean they aren't included or they aren't available for purchase? It does come with a headset. I wouldn't expect it to come with a car charger; what phone does nowadays? There are plenty of accessories available for purchase, however.
    5) no dedicated headset jack - no way to listen through wired headset/connect to car stereo and charge at the same time
    Agreed. An adapter should have been bundled.
    6) screen is too small for WM
    How? Everything fits on the screen perfectly. You have just as much space on the screen vertically as you do on a QVGA WM device (not factoring in the scaled-up GUI components), and even more horizontally. As far as readability is concerned, it's not much different than the landscape 320x240 screen found on many other devices; increase or decrease your font size accordingly.
    7) lack of applications supporting 320x320 without glitches
    True, although most of the major apps appear work fine. Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, Resco, etc. There's not much Palm can do about this, unfortunately; compatibility will come with time.
    I'm going back to 755p
    The 755p has a basically identical screen, and with Palm OS, you end up with less usable screen space anyway. And no GPS. And no WiFi.
    will give WM another chance when HTC Diamond/Raphael comes out or Palm comes out with a really god ROM update for 800w
    Other than the GPS issues, a ROM update can't fix any of the things you listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Agreed. We shouldn't have to be using 3rd party apps to access the GPS.
    I agree. Thankfully we don't have to use 3rd party applications to access the GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I agree. Thankfully we don't have to use 3rd party applications to access the GPS.
    He's referring to apps like TomTom and Garmin Mobile XT, which according to most people on this forum, cannot access with built in GPS without GPSgate, or some other 3rd party app.

don't know who posted about aGPS being superior, but the point being made is that only being able to use aGPS is not as good as being able to use standalone GPS. when you don't have signal or if your phone is off, aGPS is useless. the other point is that Palm advertises the 800w as having standalone GPS, yet we have no way of using it, which may be considered false advertising by some.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    To each his own, but I wanted to make a few points here:

1 is definitely a concern for all of us and we will all be trying to resolve it. Practically speaking though, while I want stand-alone GPS, I also realize that 99.9% of my GPS usage will be fine with just a-GPS.

2, 3, and 5 could have easily been discovered by looking at the spec sheets, manuals, etc. online or at your Sprint store before buying it.

On 3, do other phones have this capability? You could always try a 3rd-party tool/service, like grandcentral.com. There might be some WM software to do this but I'm not sure. Is there PalmOS software to do this on the 755P?

On 4 and 7, I think you're being a little harsh. First of all, there ARE accessories available, as both the Sprint, Palm, and Treocentral stores will show, but aside from these sources, there are many other accessories that will work for the 800w but just aren't made specifically for that model. You have chargers and sync cables for RAZR phones that will work, as well as a huge range of BT devices - stereo headsets, hands-free headsets, units to stream to you car stereo and other BT car-kits, etc.

Also, this phone just came out a week ago! Manufacturers are already scrambling to get accessories out to consumers but we'll just have to wait a few weeks. If that's too long for you to wait for a selection of 60 accessories vs. the current 25 (wild approximations, I know!), then I guess you can go back to Palm since all of their units use the same connectors at this point.

Back to the battery, people have posted here that turning off GPS (except for 911) drastically improves battery, as does turning off wifi. I find that I'm not using either except for a tiny fraction of my time, so I've done both, but I also charge at work and at home, so it's hard to tell whether that is making a big difference yet.

What programs specifically are you wanting to run that don't work with 320x320? Are there many? I haven't installed much yet, so I don't know what percentage work with the new resolution. But I'd bet you if you contact the developer for an app that doesn't work, you'll see that they are working on a new screen layout for the 800w, or if not then your request will get them to do so.

In general, though, we're talking about a brand new phone. Let's face it, those of us who have this phone now, unless we just randomly picked it up when we saw it in the store and then came across this board (probably not a common occurence!), are all early adopters. Being such, you need to keep an open mind or you will go a little nuts. In a sense we are guinea pigs. If you want something that is 100% solid, stable, no glitches, with tons of mature software that works right away and a huge accessory range, well, you can buy a phone that's been out a year or more, and even then there's no guarantee. The 800w, I think, is a great phone. Does it have problems? Sure? Is it perfect? By no means! Is it sometimes annoying to deal with various things when we just want it to work? Yes! But even the iPhone, the phone that's supposed to have ease-of-use as one of it's top goals, has had issues along the way. We can and should demand as much as we can from Palm, but at the same time, I think it's a little unfair for us to drop the phone after playing with it for the first week of its existence.

Some people will be new to Windows Mobile and after trying it may just not like it, and others may never have had a Treo before and they find they don't like the form factor, screen size, keyboard, etc. All of that is fair and you do have to play with a phone a little and use it in real-world applications for a week or so. If doing so causes you to judge the phone poorly, then of course you have every right to return it for something else, but many of the points listed above are things that either were discoverable before buying the phone, or simply are the result of a very new product...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    He's referring to apps like TomTom and Garmin Mobile XT, which according to most people on this forum, cannot access with built in GPS without GPSgate, or some other 3rd party app.
    Some people have issues. This occurs across all industries with new products. You are ignoring the many posts from users like myself who have no issue getting GPS to work in any third party application without any additional software such as GPSgate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    don't know who posted about aGPS being superior, but the point being made is that only being able to use aGPS is not as good as being able to use standalone GPS. when you don't have signal or if your phone is off, aGPS is useless. the other point is that Palm advertises the 800w as having standalone GPS, yet we have no way of using it, which may be considered false advertising by some.
    Here you're ignoring other posts as well. Several users tested using applications such as TeleNav with the radio off. Once TeleNav plotted and downloaded your route, one user turned off his radio for 100 miles and it kept up and was completely accurate.

Just like the Mogul, the 800w requires the radio to be one just to "kick it off". After that you can constantly use it with the radio off. Perhaps, like the Mogul, this can be changed via a registry edit?

It also works when you lose your signal so it is a standalone GPS unit, it just requires aGPS to kick it off it would seem. I'm sure this issue could be fixed in the future. For me it's not a big deal so I don't really care but I know many of you want this to kickoff with the radio off (as is advertised by Palm seemingly).

To be perfectly honest, I would sooner trust a standalone GPS unit than a cell phone while in the wilderness. While antenna size does not matter with GPS, certain models just plain have better receives and typically that suffers in a cell phone (why many have aGPS).
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    fyi,

2,3,4 & 5 will also apply to the Diamond/Raphael.

actually, 5 can be solved with an adapter to dual charge & listen on all three devices

Diamond also has no expansion slot for memory--just 4gb.

7 will apply somewhat too as VGA is less common than qvga.
    5 is a non issue because you can get said adapter, In fact, HTC is kind enough to supply that very adapter with every Touch sold.

The lack of an expansion slot is a negative of the diamond, but Im hoping against hope that the cdma variety will have one (and not have wifi stripped out)

IMO 7 wont apply to VGA screens as they can simply double pixel everything to get 320x240 resolution. VGA Axim runs everything I throw at it (although pretty crappily since it really doesnt run WM6 as well as I would like.)
    Didn't the Treo 650 have major sound quality issues? I think I remember people had to use a app (Volume Care) to make it sound ok. I'm not sure if the 700wx, 755 or Centro had any sound issues but it kind of blows my mind that Treo still can't get that right with the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    5 is a non issue because you can get said adapter,
    You shouldn't have to (get it or keep up with it). That's what makes it an issue.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast