Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    It also works when you lose your signal so it is a standalone GPS unit, it just requires aGPS to kick it off it would seem.
    I don't want to HAVE to have a mobile signal to use my gps unit. I wouldn't have known this just from the store and ads. If I'd bought this unit and then found out, I'd have been pretty p.o.'ed.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Some people have issues. This occurs across all industries with new products. You are ignoring the many posts from users like myself who have no issue getting GPS to work in any third party application without any additional software such as GPSgate.
    I'm sorry if I managed to read hundreds of other posts except for yours, or if I don't remember your specific post from the top of my head. I didn't realize that your post (would you mind linking to it?) was stickied, in big red capital letters and that I (and I guess everyone else?) should have seen it.

Secondly, if you and few other people are the only ones able to achieve those results (that is, running TomTom, Garmin, Iguidance, and other standalone GPS programs without any 3rd party programs), then what does it matter to the others who can't? I hope you realize I'm talking about standalone navigation software, not Google Maps, Live Search or anything of the sort.

Somehow you have the magic Treo an that means that everyone else either has a faulty device or is doing something wrong? Until every 800w user can turn their phone on from a fresh hard reset/factory state and use their GPS with standalone navigation programs (TomTom and Garmin Mobile XT to be specific), the 800w's GPS is pretty much half of what it's supposed to be IMO.

You can say it occurs with all new products, but why didn't I have to do anything special on my Mogul? I went to the built in Windows Mobile GPS options, set it to COM4, selected COM4 in TomTom and I was up and rolling. Garmin didn't even ask, it just found it by itself. Why should I have to do anything different if I want to get an 800w?

Here you're ignoring other posts as well. Several users tested using applications such as TeleNav with the radio off. Once TeleNav plotted and downloaded your route, one user turned off his radio for 100 miles and it kept up and was completely accurate.
    Please link me to these posts.

Once again, I'm talking about standalone navigation software. When I say standalone, I mean that the software is independent of everything else and only needs a GPS signal to function. Telenav, Maps, Google Maps, Live Search, and anything else like it that happens to already work with the 800w require data connections.

So let's say you're navigating in Telenav with your phone turned off. You drive off route and you don't have the maps for that area downloaded. How are you going to get those maps? You have to turn your phone back on so you can download them, or you'll get lost. But wait, you don't have signal in this area, what do you do now?

Of course it stayed accurate for those 100 miles because it downloaded the map data necessary for the whole 100 mile trip. But I believe it would be a different story if he strayed off course and needed to download new maps.

Just like the Mogul, the 800w requires the radio to be one just to "kick it off". After that you can constantly use it with the radio off. Perhaps, like the Mogul, this can be changed via a registry edit?
    Maybe, but I don't think anyone's found such a registry edit for the 800w yet. The bigger issue is the ability to use the standalone GPS. With the Mogul, if you turn on the radio and you have no signal, it will use the standalone GPS. Can't remember if the 800w will do the same, but I'm thinking it doesn't. Have to look into that one.

To be perfectly honest, I would sooner trust a standalone GPS unit than a cell phone while in the wilderness. While antenna size does not matter with GPS, certain models just plain have better receives and typically that suffers in a cell phone (why many have aGPS).
    I don't think most of us expect to use our cell phone GPS in the wilderness, it's just that we don't like having to be tied to Sprint/signal to get our GPS to work, and that people aren't able to get certain GPS apps running without buying GPSGate or some other software. To me, that's like crippling/Verizonizing an important feature that they advertise as a major selling point of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    5 is a non issue because you can get said adapter, In fact, HTC is kind enough to supply that very adapter with every Touch sold.
    Why couldn't Palm do the same though? HTC even bundles a 512MB MicroSD with the Mogul (don't know about the Touch, but I'm sure it's the same), which could be more than enough for most general users.

Sometimes I really wish Palm and HTC would get together and make a phone or two. HTC could get the hardware done right and on time, and Palm could do the software customizations that makes their WM products more user friendly. Then I wouldn't be stuck in between a Mogul and a 700wx...
    What was th subsidized price of the Mogul came out?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't want to HAVE to have a mobile signal to use my gps unit. I wouldn't have known this just from the store and ads. If I'd bought this unit and then found out, I'd have been pretty p.o.'ed.
    You said you have to have a signal?

Though I'd love to know what ads you saw that actually said this. The only place I found it to say standalone GPS was under the specs on Palm's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I'm sorry if I managed to read hundreds of other posts except for yours, or if I don't remember your specific post from the top of my head. I didn't realize that your post (would you mind linking to it?) was stickied, in big red capital letters and that I (and I guess everyone else?) should have seen it.
    Holy Jesus. Calm down dude...
    Secondly, if you and few other people are the only ones able to achieve those results (that is, running TomTom, Garmin, Iguidance, and other standalone GPS programs without any 3rd party programs), then what does it matter to the others who can't? I hope you realize I'm talking about standalone navigation software, not Google Maps, Live Search or anything of the sort.
    Few other people? You don't know how the internet works. Most people who post on web forums like this either love the device, are interested in it, or have a problem. We are a minority but for some reason you seem to think that we respresent the majority of people and their issues.

I highly doubt many people are having such issues.

Also, fyi, many are able to use TomTom just fine. I tried a version that I had installed on my Mogul that didn't have any issues but I do have to say the TomTom software was buggy (I'm pretty sure it was a bad install when I had it on my Mogul and I just grabbed it to test on my 800w).
    Somehow you have the magic Treo an that means that everyone else either has a faulty device or is doing something wrong? Until every 800w user can turn their phone on from a fresh hard reset/factory state and use their GPS with standalone navigation programs (TomTom and Garmin Mobile XT to be specific), the 800w's GPS is pretty much half of what it's supposed to be IMO.
    everyone? Again, you're assuming we're the majority when we're the minority.
    You can say it occurs with all new products, but why didn't I have to do anything special on my Mogul? I went to the built in Windows Mobile GPS options, set it to COM4, selected COM4 in TomTom and I was up and rolling. Garmin didn't even ask, it just found it by itself. Why should I have to do anything different if I want to get an 800w?
    You don't have to do anything different in the 800w... (at least I didn't). The GPS seems to work exactly the same as the Moguls from everything I've seen and tested.
    Please link me to these posts.
    No. If you care enough then look through the threads. If you don't then who cares? I have nothing to prove to you. Besides, judging by your replies thus far, you are pissed anyway so there isn't any point in furthering this.

So let's say you're navigating in Telenav with your phone turned off. You drive off route and you don't have the maps for that area downloaded. How are you going to get those maps? You have to turn your phone back on so you can download them, or you'll get lost. But wait, you don't have signal in this area, what do you do now?

Of course it stayed accurate for those 100 miles because it downloaded the map data necessary for the whole 100 mile trip. But I believe it would be a different story if he strayed off course and needed to download new maps.
    No **** sherlock. TeleNav downloads the route and some additional information for slight variations. Anything different and of course it's not going to work. Your point has nothing to do with standalone GPS. My point was that even without a signal, the GPS would still function well for a long time which means it will work in a standalone mode.

If you need something that will keep maps offline then you should use TomTom or Garmin or another better GPS application.
    I don't think most of us expect to use our cell phone GPS in the wilderness, it's just that we don't like having to be tied to Sprint/signal to get our GPS to work, and that people aren't able to get certain GPS apps running without buying GPSGate or some other software. To me, that's like crippling/Verizonizing an important feature that they advertise as a major selling point of the phone.
    From what I've read people were able to get it working without a signal just as long as the radio is on so I don't think you absolutely need to have a connection to Sprint.

But you bought a Sprint phone that's already tied to the CDMA network and you're worried about being tied to their signal for a feature of the phone? Seems a little backwards to me.

-------

I have a feeling this thread is going to get locked, heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    What was th subsidized price of the Mogul came out?
    Same price as it is now I believe. $299. Yet the full price is $549 (or, at least that's what I paid for it when I was an *****).
    You said you have to have a signal?

Though I'd love to know what ads you saw that actually said this. The only place I found it to say standalone GPS was under the specs on Palm's website.
    Heh. That's not what I was saying. In fact, I thought you were.

Oh well. Nevermind.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Heh. That's not what I was saying. In fact, I thought you were.

Oh well. Nevermind.
    Do'h!

Lets all get along
    For those dumping the 800w you need to come to the dark side lol
    We just got new theme builder app that needs attention.
    With the Mogul, if you turn on the radio and you have no signal, it will use the standalone GPS.
    Well, GPS with the Mogul actually works like this:

First you have to wait 9 months from the release date for HTC to officially enable GPS on the device--even though it was always there to begin with.

All things come in time.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well, GPS with the Mogul actually works like this:

First you have to wait 9 months from the release date for HTC to officially enable GPS on the device--even though it was always there to begin with.

All things come in time.
    Tsk Tsk. the Mogul was released a full year before, The Touch was released a full 7 months before the Palm 800w. We wouldn't have all these mogul and touch users if Palm would just upgrade their hardware everynow and then... They finally do, and its more of a sidegrade to a Mogul/Touch as opposed to an upgrade.
    But you bought a Sprint phone that's already tied to the CDMA network and you're worried about being tied to their signal for a feature of the phone? Seems a little backwards to me.
    What he said, 100x. Best GPS device I've ever owned. Always locks in 5 seconds or less, never fails. Love it.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    What he said, 100x. Best GPS device I've ever owned. Always locks in 5 seconds or less, never fails. Love it.

Todd/Indy
    You must not have owned many GPS devices...No phone GPS is as good as a standalone model, if for no other reason, then battery life. I have a GPS that will run 15 hours on AA batteries and is waterproof, shock proof etc.
    akunamatada
    You must not have owned many GPS devices...No phone GPS is as good as a standalone model, if for no other reason, then battery life. I have a GPS that will run 15 hours on AA batteries and is waterproof, shock proof etc.
    Yes, I agree. Many people are expecting too much from our phones. Next thing you know, people will complain about the video recording on the phone not being able to record in HD. And the camera not having a 12mp camera with 10x optical zoom.

The GPS on the 800w is fine. If you want to complaing about 3rd party apps accessing the GPS, it's not Palm's fault, contact the developers of those software. But as far as I know, I installed Garmin on the phone, which was the 2nd app I installed. Ran it just fine, using the internal GPS. If people are having to use 3rd party apps to access Garmin, then they need to look at the config again, since it works using the built in GPS. As far as TomTom, TomTom6 isn't designed to use internal GPS, which is why you need GPSGate. TomTom7 was ripped from an HTC device, so if you want to complain to them why it doesn't work, then do so. But I don't think you're going to get far, since it was designed for an HTC device and somehow you installed it on a Treo 800w.

I've also use Live Search, Google Maps, TrackyPro on the Treo 800w without having to resort to use any other app to access the GPS.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried CoPilot 7 yet? Copilot won't find the internal GPS but using an internal gps is an option. It seems to be that Copilot only looks for com ports and doesn't look at the GPD ports. Are the GPD ports normal for Windows mobile gps devices?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    Has anyone tried CoPilot 7 yet? Copilot won't find the internal GPS but using an internal gps is an option. It seems to be that Copilot only looks for com ports and doesn't look at the GPD ports. Are the GPD ports normal for Windows mobile gps devices?
    DOH! of course right after I post I see you can change it over to a com port. Does changing it to a com port affect anything?
    Yeah, but standalone blows in the city where getting a lock with all the buildings can take minutes, even with sirfIII

The trade off for having internal aGPS (battery consumption, need the network) is offset by not having to carry around an extra device, pairing, recharging and slower signal acquisition.

I hated having an extra device with me just to find a Chinese restaurant in the area, or waiting for my sat fix. It was far from convenient.

Others are free to disagree as well as to no use their built in and just go with a standalone.

Put it another way: I'd be way more disappointed with this device if it were only standalone. If I need off-network GPS, hiking, boating, etc. I'll gladly pick up a larger screened, dedicated GPS system for that task--especially since they're as cheap as $100 now.
    Tsk Tsk. the Mogul was released a full year before, The Touch was released a full 7 months before the Palm 800w. We wouldn't have all these mogul and touch users if Palm would just upgrade their hardware everynow and then... They finally do, and its more of a sidegrade to a Mogul/Touch as opposed to an upgrade.
    And the fact that they both had their GPS disabled on release for months is justified how?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Schump939 View Post
    DOH! of course right after I post I see you can change it over to a com port. Does changing it to a com port affect anything?

No. It's just you need to make sure the Com port is open and no other device/driver isn't going to use it anytime soon/future.
    Yeah, but standalone blows in the city where getting a lock with all the buildings can take minutes, even with sirfIII

The trade off for having internal aGPS (battery consumption, need the network) is offset by not having to carry around an extra device, pairing, recharging and slower signal acquisition.

I hated having an extra device with me just to find a Chinese restaurant in the area, or waiting for my sat fix. It was far from convenient.

Others are free to disagree as well as to no use their built in and just go with a standalone.
    Actually thats a very good point, although my vista hcx locks within a minute always. Granted I havent flown 500 miles and tried to turn it on in a major city such as NYC. Also I was able to receive signal in a plane with my standalone whereas I just couldnt get as good a lock with my Touch. So under dense conditions, my standalone blows away my Touch for signal strength, but generally that is not an issue.

I also use my standalone for long trips usually and my Touch for backup. Also there are various programs out there that let you calibrate/install raster topo maps or any other maps for the PPC that are pretty cool that are alot harder to do with a standalone. As you correctly point out, I dont always have my standalone with me so it is nice have one in my touch (though I better have a charger nearby).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast