Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, having Wifi and BT off is a given, but my greatest battery saver is just turning off the GPS by swithing the Location Privacy to 911 Only. I would say it increased 100% the last few days. I still have exchange push as they arrive and average about 80-100 emails a day.

Keep in mind you have to turn Location Privacy back to Location on when you use anything GPS related such as maps, garmin, etc.

Curious if you folks get the same results. Let us know.

Update:
    The consensus by turning off the gps can potentionally 2x your battery life.
    There are two methods to turn your gps off
    1. Set your Location Privacy to 911 only
    2. Use Hannip's GPS_TOOL he wrote up for us. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=62
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wrecks; 07/23/2008 at 08:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Interesting find. I have had a hunch that the GPS on the phone 'stays on' eating away at battery life.

Someone could even make a program that automatically switches back to "Location On" when the GPS is accessed for the first time. thus saving battery life and keeping the transparency of use.
  3.    #3  
    I've tested it out for 2 days, and I haven't had to use my spare battery that is in my wallet yet since I did this.

I really want other people to try this out for a day on a full charge, to see if this really helps or not.

Having a script or something to turn and turn off GPS when launching GPS type application would be sweeeeet.
    Hmm I shall give this a try starting in the morning and report back my findings. Thanks for the tip.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Someone did a test using the battery MaH charge display to prove that the screen saver option used more power. Maybe the same could be done for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    I've tested it out for 2 days, and I haven't had to use my spare battery that is in my wallet yet since I did this.

I really want other people to try this out for a day on a full charge, to see if this really helps or not.

Having a script or something to turn and turn off GPS when launching GPS type application would be sweeeeet.
    It doesn't even need to be done. I just did it and google maps used gps with no problems. It just must stop programs from using GPS in the background maybe. I don't know. The speil says it just stops Sprint PCS services from using it. So the phone still knows your location, but Sprint's network doesn't. hell, I want that off for privacy reasons!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    It doesn't even need to be done. I just did it and google maps used gps with no problems. It just must stop programs from using GPS in the background maybe. I don't know. The speil says it just stops Sprint PCS services from using it. So the phone still knows your location, but Sprint's network doesn't. hell, I want that off for privacy reasons!
    I think if you restart the phone you'll find that GPS won't lock until you turn on location again.
    This is a program that shuts off the GPS, looks nice but I can't get it to work on the 800w, it will install but doesn't look like it does anything.

http://www.baf.cc/gpstoggle
    So will this make the GPS a standalone?
    Where do you check this off, now? I know I have been there, but cant find my way there. ( I am still new to WM)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    so far this has proven to be correct...major battery saver...MAJOR!
    Can't seem to find where one can set up the privacy feature for the GPS?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Click on the 'crosshair' icon to the left of the BT icon on the today screen
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mintedcoin View Post
    Can't seem to find where one can set up the privacy feature for the GPS?
    On the Today screen, there's a little GPS button - if you click that, it'll open up a "Location Privacy" screen. Just select "911 only" or "Location On".

I turned it off and tried to use the "Find ___" on the Today Screen, and it said it couldn't find a GPS location. Google Maps didn't work either.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Thanks, Bujin.

I'll be reporting my experience tomorrow.

Today I got about 8-9 hours with minimal activity.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by arh1000 View Post
    so far this has proven to be correct...major battery saver...MAJOR!
    LOL, I didn't want to set peoples expectations to high, but it was major for me also.

From 8am-5pm my battery would be at 15-20 percent with the location privacy set to "location on".

Now with location privacy set to "911 Only" my battery is reporting 62 percent. So the improvement is not to shabby.
    Yeah, this is probably the case...

Good thing it's easy to toggle on/off. I don't use the GPS that much currently (mostly just goofing around) so it might be a good idea to just switch it on when needed.

I don't see a delay in doing this toggle method either, so no real downside.

Hmmm...

Perhaps Hannip or someone could write up a script for Mort to allow a single-click toggle (i.e. it would also dismiss that notice screen)?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I don't know if it's because my battery is "conditioned" now that I've had it for a week but my battery did pretty well today. I'm excited to see the results tomorrow with this tweak!
    Kash76

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Perhaps Hannip or someone could write up a script for Mort to allow a single-click toggle (i.e. it would also dismiss that notice screen)?
    How hard would it be to take that to the next level and make it change the setting when loading software that uses the GPS and back off after? Now THAT would be awesome.

I just changed the setting...lets see how great this change is!
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    on another note, I was looking at the 2600 mah battery for the Centro on seidio.com today. Once they put out a battery cover for my 800w I'm game. that will be well worth the bulk for me.
    Kash76

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I have not yet tried it... but this might make things simpler for folks. It puts an on/off icon on the today screen.

http://www.baf.cc/gpstoggle

EDIT: sorry for the double post....
    Last edited by insol; 07/22/2008 at 09:48 PM.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast