Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Installs itself and does it's thing (as verified by opening reg editor and checking a couple of the key locations. Basically it changes a bunch of keys all at once vs you having to go in and edit individually)

BTW, went into Sprint Store and they handed me two Centro batteries for backups. NICE!
    Thanks

I've got to take a swing by my sprint store, see if i can get a spare
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    For those who have went into the store to get batteries - was it the store you bought it from or did by chance you get it from Telesales?
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    For those who have went into the store to get batteries - was it the store you bought it from or did by chance you get it from Telesales?
    Good question, I should have asked. I ordered mine online. My store's friendliness depends (significantly) on what sales rep you get.
    I think turning off the GPS made a great improvment in my battery life. I just want it to get a little over 12 hrs of life with medium usage. At work I can plug it in like the Mogul, but on travel days I need it to last in case there aren't any outlets available at the airport..

First day I think I left my phone on discoverable (BT). Oops.
    Last edited by chrisngrod; 07/28/2008 at 09:24 PM.
    Just email eCare. I did and they offered to refund me back the cost of a spare battery.
    Random store (I won my 800W here/WMExperts in contest; it was ordered directly from Palm). Just mentioned I thought there may be a battery issue as it's good some days, bad others and the person helping me said he had a couple of Centro batteries I could try.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Nice! thanks for the response.

I called a local store and told your story. She talked to a tech who said the phone is so new that they don't have any batteries. Nice tech!? He didn't even know it's a Centro battery!?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, then I called customer care who checked with telesales and they wanted to replace my phone and said they hadn't heard ANY battery complaints. I told them to visit TC!
    Oh yeah, then I called customer care who checked with telesales and they wanted to replace my phone and said they hadn't heard ANY battery complaints. I told them to visit TC!
    The tech I spoke to said I should replace the device and I told him I'd rather not, that I'd like to see if a different battery helped instead...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    If the GPS could automatically be turned on and off when you load SAY GOOGLE MAPS or something.. AWESOME...

As far as battery life. I Called sprint tech and also emailed them and they tell me this:

I would like to share with you that as per our records; there are no
    issues with the battery of TREO 800 W handset. The battery life depends
    upon the following factors:

- Battery life depends on individual use
    - Consumption factors include signal strength, Speakerphone use, and use
    of wireless features.
    - Digital mode continuous talk time: 4.0 hours.
    - Digital mode standby time: 200 hours

Thus, we have no known issues with the battery of TREO 800 W and it
    depends upon the usage of an individual.

... I saw people getting a 2nd battery and they told me they never heard about this...
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    If . . .

- Digital mode standby time: 200 hours
    In somebody's dreams
    sorry not adding to much to this thread but i just recently got my very 1st treo and even my very first smartphone. i love this phone but so much hassle to get a good battery life. the suggestions on here the gps tool has been working for me. now, battery life isnt so much of a concern. just wanted to thank everyone for helping out.

on a side note, can anyone direct me to a good link about this push (exchange activesync)? it could save me from going through alot of search links. TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I whipped up this neat little tool. It will tell you the on/off status of both the GPS service and the GPS driver (hardware) and allow you to turn the service on or off.

If you turn the service off it will close all GPS connections and turn off the hardware. When you turn the service back on you will note that the hardware does not turn on until your GPS software makes a request to it. If your GPS software was running already when you turn the service back on you may need to close and relaunch it to reopen the connection.

The program by default will show you the GPS status and prompt you to turn it off or on depending on the current state of the service. It also supports the following command line flags.

-toggle
    -on
    -off

The exe is installed at \Windows\GPS_tool.exe
    A shortcut is created in Start->Programs which you can move if desired.

Let me know how it works for you.

Hi Hannip,

I created a second shortcut to with the intention of adding the "-off" parameter. I'm using Resco's Explorer to edit the shortcut I see the following:

\\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe?shellres.dll,-13997

I not quite sure where to add the parameter.. I've tried various formats

\\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe?shellres.dll,-13997,-off
    "\\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe -off"?shellres.dll

Can you shed some light?

Thanks
    --MM

Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Palm i705 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    just used my GPS for the first time last night and this morning the 800's LED blinking red...and died. After wall charger it came back to live, that was when I found this post.

Just wondering, if I use this GPS tool to turn off GPS does it reflect the Location Privacy 911 only?

or should I still check off "911 Only" at the same time GPS tool. Or just one or the other??

thanks,
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2 View Post
    just used my GPS for the first time last night and this morning the 800's LED blinking red...and died. After wall charger it came back to live, that was when I found this post.

Just wondering, if I use this GPS tool to turn off GPS does it reflect the Location Privacy 911 only?

or should I still check off "911 Only" at the same time GPS tool. Or just one or the other??

thanks,
    really what you should do is "exit" out of any apps that are using GPS (e.g. Sprint TeleNav), not just hitting "ok" and minimizing.

Holding down "Ok" will bring up the Task Manager where you can not only see what is still running, but close out directly any GPS app that still is.

Turning off GPS using the switcher tool or going "911 only" really is overkill if you just close out your GPS apps.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    really what you should do is "exit" out of any apps that are using GPS (e.g. Sprint TeleNav), not just hitting "ok" and minimizing.

Holding down "Ok" will bring up the Task Manager where you can not only see what is still running, but close out directly any GPS app that still is.

Turning off GPS using the switcher tool or going "911 only" really is overkill if you just close out your GPS apps.
    I agree. I didn't find any measurable difference in battery life by switching to "911 only" or using the GPS tool. The main thing I did to make battery life MUCH better was to change email settings:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=169703
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmadness View Post
    Hi Hannip,

I created a second shortcut to with the intention of adding the "-off" parameter. I'm using Resco's Explorer to edit the shortcut I see the following:

\\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe?shellres.dll,-13997

I not quite sure where to add the parameter.. I've tried various formats

\\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe?shellres.dll,-13997,-off
    "\\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe -off"?shellres.dll

Can you shed some light?

Thanks
    "\Windows\GPS_Tool.exe" -off?shellres.dll,-13997
    I'm on my second 800w. The first one had no battery issues whatsoever. The second one not so good but I think I found what the issue is and it's not the GPS.

I have the new phone set up just like the first one but I noticed that my bluetooth headset would wake up every few minutes. Overnight, the battery would drain down to 10% or less. I didn't have to turn off bluetooth on my old one so I don't know where the fault is. I was able to get the headset to stop waking up by making a call to the phone which popped up on the headset. After that call, it hasn't been doing it and so far the battery is holding steady like the old one. I'll just have to pay attention to the headset to see if it starts doing that again.

Might be a clue for others having this issue.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    wrecks and hannip,

THANKS A LOT, guys! The GPS trick works for me... and I'm not "dreaming" or anything.

After a full 1.5 days of usage (about 90 mins on the phone and 45-50 mins using wifi), my 800w's battery still has 51% charge left... one word to describe this... AWESOME !
    Last edited by devil24; 09/04/2008 at 03:20 PM.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    GUYS
    thanks you "wrecks" for finding this. I was on a 10 hour drive and plugged the phone to car charger. I was using the GPS all along. I wonder why on earth my phone was not getting charged. Now we all know the culprit.
    IT must be the GPS chip thats eating the power all the time.

THANKS "wrecks" AGAIN.

PALM should fix this issue.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast