Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbc28 View Post
    My terminology might be wrong, but I changed it from having my phone check for email every hour to using the Sprint email program to have a pseudo type of push that uses sms to tell the phone to check when a email is received.
    Just trying to clarify, because i am looking for anything to increase battery life -- So if i set up an email account on the treo and have it check every 1/2 hour. It is pulling. If i switched to different type of account (through sprint or third party w/hosted server) it would be push (to conserve battery by only looking for email if it was told to)
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    Just trying to clarify, because i am looking for anything to increase battery life -- So if i set up an email account on the treo and have it check every 1/2 hour. It is pulling. If i switched to different type of account (through sprint or third party w/hosted server) it would be push (to conserve battery by only looking for email if it was told to)
    Yes... Push email (true push through Exchange ActiveSync is the best) is much more efficient than polling for email at a given interval.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Yes... Push email (true push through Exchange ActiveSync is the best) is much more efficient than polling for email at a given interval.
    Thanks - I've found something else to try
    If you get a lot of emails, push will drain battery more than checking mail once an hour.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    If you get a lot of emails, push will drain battery more than checking mail once an hour.
    Are you sure? You're still remaining connected the same amount of time in terms of downloading them one at a time or all together. It would seem to me that if you had serious amounts of email coming through you would level out but I don't see it draining more?
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    FYI: I was curious about how the bluetooth was affecting the battery, so i tried a little experiment. I have not used the phone at all today.

No bluetooth & No use of phone for three hours = 85% to 71% = Down 14%

Bluetooth On & No use of phone for three hours = 71% to 44% = Down 25%

During this time I also had the following OFF:

GPS, Screen Saver, Wifi & Screen set at 40% (of course the screen was off during this time)

The following was on: Email pulling every 30 minutes

I am now only connected with wifi and will do so for the next 3 hours to compare to above.
    Last edited by bionicman97; 07/27/2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Add content
    what was the status of BT? on/paired; on/not paired; on/visible/paired, etc.

that info is important too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    what was the status of BT? on/paired; on/not paired; on/visible/paired, etc.

that info is important too...
    I turned on my headset and paired them with quick test (10 second phone call).

I thought that would be the most realistic setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    FYI: I was curious about how the bluetooth was affecting the battery, so i tried a little experiment. I have not used the phone at all today.

No bluetooth & No use of phone for three hours = 85% to 71% = Down 14%

Bluetooth On & No use of phone for three hours = 71% to 44% = Down 25%

During this time I also had the following OFF:

GPS, Screen Saver, Wifi & Screen set at 40% (of course the screen was off during this time)

The following was on: Email pulling every 30 minutes

I am now only connected with wifi and will do so for the next 3 hours to compare to above.
    I've had to stop my test on wifi.

In 1 hour with wifi on & connected to home network and nothing else on (same base settings as above) my battery went from 42% to 22% = Down 20%.

I did not access anything during this time, just had it connected.

I need to leave my house and can't let it run any lower :-(
    Adding this to the list

Nothing on but screen saver for 2 hours = 100% to 89% = Down 10%

This is almost identical to when i didn't have the screen saver on (see previous posts), so, on my phone, so far the screen saver has made almost no difference in power useage.
    Are you sure? You're still remaining connected the same amount of time in terms of downloading them one at a time or all together. It would seem to me that if you had serious amounts of email coming through you would level out but I don't see it draining more?
    I wonder about that: if I get 15 emails in an hour, wouldn't it drain more for my email program to get an email every 4 minutes, rather than pull them all at once?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I wonder about that: if I get 15 emails in an hour, wouldn't it drain more for my email program to get an email every 4 minutes, rather than pull them all at once?
    Downloading 15 emails at once would take the same amount of time and network usage as downloading 1 every 4 minutes because you're still downloading the same amount of data, it is just spread out. I honestly don't think it would be any extra drain.

The fact that it is push means you're not using extra data to poll your email account.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

I can only base it on the one hour increments. I have tested it and I get MUCH better battery if I turn off push and have emailed checked once an hour. I don't think it's connected the same amount of time. I think it takes about as long to connect to get one email as it takes to get 5 emails. Yes, it may take longer to download the 5, but to connect and disconnect, I think it's about the same amount of time.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I can only base it on the one hour increments. I have tested it and I get MUCH better battery if I turn off push and have emailed checked once an hour. I don't think it's connected the same amount of time. I think it takes about as long to connect to get one email as it takes to get 5 emails. Yes, it may take longer to download the 5, but to connect and disconnect, I think it's about the same amount of time.
    That's what I would expect - the "logging on / receiving folders, etc." messages seems to take much longer than the email downloads themselves.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I found some tweaks that edit the registry and are supposed to give you must better battery life. So far, it seems it has.. I have bluetooth on and GPS on and I have made a bunch of calls, checked email a few times includes my activesync and also used sprint TV. after a few hours, around 5, I am at 80% which I think is awesome. Here is where I found the tweaks:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168355
    Since the 800 and the Centro are similar in size... does anyone have any photo camparisons of the size difference the extended battery makes on the Centro? Would be a good comparison to see how much it will affect the 800w.
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    I found some tweaks that edit the registry and are supposed to give you must better battery life. So far, it seems it has.. I have bluetooth on and GPS on and I have made a bunch of calls, checked email a few times includes my activesync and also used sprint TV. after a few hours, around 5, I am at 80% which I think is awesome. Here is where I found the tweaks:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=168355

I have had similar results using that tweak. Took mine off the charger at 0500, and at 1100 it's still at 75% after using push email the whole time, calls, and light application use. not too bad!
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    Forgive me for sounding like an *****, but this is my first smartphone. Before this i had a nextel i730. Just wanted to clarify something:

I just open this file on my phone and it installs itself and does it's thing, or is there more to it than that?
    Installs itself and does it's thing (as verified by opening reg editor and checking a couple of the key locations. Basically it changes a bunch of keys all at once vs you having to go in and edit individually)

BTW, went into Sprint Store and they handed me two Centro batteries for backups. NICE!

EDIT: hope the old centro batteries are viable. Device won't turn on after inserting. Plugging in to USB charger took a couple of minutes before the red charge light came on; device still not booting. Going to leave that way for a while to see if they were simply totally drained and needed some juice. Guess I know why he gave me two!
    Last edited by dslunceford; 07/28/2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Downloading 15 emails at once would take the same amount of time and network usage as downloading 1 every 4 minutes because you're still downloading the same amount of data, it is just spread out. I honestly don't think it would be any extra drain.

The fact that it is push means you're not using extra data to poll your email account.
    I would expect that depending on the nature of the push mail, you might have to contend with the extra overhead of either:
    1) If it uses a "secret" text message, each time the phone goes to pick up the mail, it would have to establish a data connection and related actions. This is opposed to it occuring only once
    2) If a constant connection is kept and a "heartbeat" is sent every so often, there's the issue of the power neccessary for the constant connection.
    Siemens A56 > Samsung SGH-X426 > HTC Tornado > HTC Wizard > HTC Wizard + Sony Ericsson K800i > iPhone EDGE + Sony Ericsson K800i > RIM Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve > Palm Treo 800w > HTC Touch Diamond > HTC Touch Diamond + Palm Pre
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast