Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Something very odd with your device nlowhor...

Hannip and I yesterday were comparing numbers and we crush your results (and I had and have always had "My location" on):
    http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...2&postcount=27

I'm glad this works for some of you but I really think something else is going on...
    Well I'm sure the actual numbers will be different as we have different apps running and checking email etc. I'm just trying to compare the relative changes by adjusting the GPS related settings. In all 3 of my tests, I did not touch the device so there were no phone calls or backlight usage or anything. Just whatever my typical baseline usage is(exchange, weather updates, IMAP checks, etc). Do you see these different results by changing the GPS settings?

I'm actually not complaining about the battery life. As long as I leave all the GPS stuff off, it does quite well. No problems getting through a normal day. I'm just trying to prove that there is something GPS related that's draining the battery at least in my device, and that it would be great to have an automatic tool to control this when launching and closing TomTom, etc.

Just for comparison, could you try the same tests overnight when you are using the device? I would like to know if this is perhaps something wrong with my particular unit. Overall though, I am THRILLED with the 800w.

Thanks for the help! If anyone else out there wants to try the same overnight "handsoff" testing, let's see the results!
    I believe that my battery life has been extended but I do not have any stats to show.

By the way, Sprint stores are handing out new batteries to treo 800w users or was this only a single case/experience?
    When I got my Centro a few months back as part of TEP swap, the clerk told me that they had tons of Centro batteries in the back and gave me an extra. Not sure if that is SOP.
    Well, I'm not certain if GPS location off/911 only has helped for me. Yesterday I unplugged at 8:30 am, had 40 min BT call, about 60 push emails, couple of other <5 calls and was down to 20% by 3pm

Today unplugged at 7:45 am, BT/WiFi off, 3 calls all <5 minutes, no internet surfing, about 65 push emails and I'm at 5% battery at 3:55pm. I'm definitely going to need a second battery...

BTW, it charges pretty fast...back up to 45% in one hour of charge.
    Last edited by dslunceford; 07/25/2008 at 04:09 PM.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    When I got my Centro a few months back as part of TEP swap, the clerk told me that they had tons of Centro batteries in the back and gave me an extra. Not sure if that is SOP.

Hey I might give it a shot and see if they are willing to give me an extra battery. Nothing wrong with asking

Mall kiosks or actual sprint retail stores?
    Question about Sprint Nav. I have SERO and no Nav included, it would be upcharge. I downloaded to try, but want to remove. It's not an option under "remove programs" Why is that? Anyway to remove with Resco FE?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    Hey I might give it a shot and see if they are willing to give me an extra battery. Nothing wrong with asking

Mall kiosks or actual sprint retail stores?

I got it at a full service Sprint store.
    I'm going to have to try a new battery. turned off GPS, Beam, screen saver.

I've done 15 text messages, one 3 minute phone call, 5 minutes surfing the web and my battery has gone from 93% to 17% in six hours.

Love the phone, but hate monitoring the battery all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    I'm going to have to try a new battery. turned off GPS, Beam, screen saver.

I've done 15 text messages, one 3 minute phone call, 5 minutes surfing the web and my battery has gone from 93% to 17% in six hours.

Love the phone, but hate monitoring the battery all the time.
    That isn't even close to normal for me....something is very wrong there.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I think something is definitely wrong with my battery, but my wife's isn't much better. About the same use, same things turned off, and in the same amount of time it (6 hours) it went from 85% to 13%. (I am trying to compare her's to mine to see what's up)

CORRECTED ======>

Ok, I'm a moron, I looked at my phone again, not my wife's. In the same amount of time and useage, her's went from 85% to 56%. I am going to swap batteries while she is asleep :-)

Think i'll just buy a new battery, if it fixes it, great, if not, at least i have a spare
    Last edited by bionicman97; 07/25/2008 at 08:57 PM.
    Treo 800w - Love the Phone Can Tolerate the Battery
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Update 2: This time I turned Location on and GPS services off. After about 9.5 hours, I dropped from 98% to 24%.

Case 1: 911 only/GPS off - 7 hours - 98% to 61%
    Case 2: Location on/GPS on - 10 hours - 98% to 0%
    Case 3: Location on/GPS off - 9.5 hours - 98% to 24%
    I am getting very similar numbers
    I switched location off and have had much better battery life. No exact numbers to prove it though. However, I also went to task manager and turned off most of the extra programs. I noticed if I don't specifically select exit, the programs don't stop, including google maps. Pressing the "ok" button or the "X" in the corner is not sufficient. The problem is that not all applications have an exit menu option. I'm new to WM is this standard?
    So, assuming that the GPS does drain the battery, is turning "Location Off" sufficient, or do you need to turn GPS off with hannip's tool?

Also, is there any difference if you have the Maps tool on your Today screen vs. not?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That isn't even close to normal for me....something is very wrong there.
    I've had decent and awful battery life results from the same battery on the same day. I still haven't identified what the difference maker is.

I've turned on acbtaskman to track power usage. Hopefully I will be able to pinpoint the problem app soon.
    Last edited by skfny; 07/26/2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I've had decent and awful battery life results from the same battery on the same day. I still haven't identified what the difference maker is.

I've turned on acbtaskman to track power usage. Hopefully I will be able to pinpoint the problem app soon.
    Me too. This morning in 7 hours my power went from 100% to 56%, I recharged, used approx the same, and it went from 96% to 26% in 5 hours. This with GPS off, Wifi Off, Screen 40%, Screen saver off and going into task manager to turn off each program after use (just to make sure)
    Since I turned the GPS off, I've had consistently good battery life except for today. This morning I unplugged the 800w from the charger with a full battery. I did not use the device all day but when I picked it up at about 5pm, the battery was drained down to almost nothing. Something else was going on that drained the battery.
    Well, while we are on the subject of GPS and battries:
    I was driving yesterday with the GPS gate+TT fired up with voice directions to my BT headset. I also had the Treo plugged into my car charger. Guess what? The battery was actually discharging. The apps use more juice than the charger was able to charge.
    This will need more trials. I will be going out today and do the same.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I switched from polling email to push, turned off the screen saver, and switched the gps to 911 only. I also don't use bluetooth. I am getting great battery life. Yesterday, I took the phone off charge at 8am, sent about 40 texts throughout the day, talked on the phone about 20 min., used IE explorer about 30 minutes, and probably played around with different apps and games for about 1hr. At midnight I still had 65% left on the batt when I plugged it in to the charger.

Battery life before the changes was horrible. Now, I am quite pleased, and I don't think a second battery will be necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbc28 View Post
    I switched from polling email to push, turned off the screen saver, and switched the gps to 911 only. I also don't use bluetooth. I am getting great battery life. Yesterday, I took the phone off charge at 8am, sent about 40 texts throughout the day, talked on the phone about 20 min., used IE explorer about 30 minutes, and probably played around with different apps and games for about 1hr. At midnight I still had 65% left on the batt when I plugged it in to the charger.

Battery life before the changes was horrible. Now, I am quite pleased, and I don't think a second battery will be necessary.

I'm jealous , I can only dream of that kind of battery life

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but what do you mean switching from polling email to push?
    Last edited by bionicman97; 07/27/2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add question
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman97 View Post
    I'm jealous , I can only dream of that kind of battery life

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but what do you mean switching from polling email to push?
    My terminology might be wrong, but I changed it from having my phone check for email every hour to using the Sprint email program to have a pseudo type of push that uses sms to tell the phone to check when a email is received.