Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah, specifically we need to have softresets with no one running GPS to compare.

I've always exited/closed my GPS apps which therefore shuts down the GPS on my device. So turning "off" the Location privacy thing has had no discernible difference, especially compared to those who are nearly doubling their battery.
    Yep, you can use my tool to verify that the hardware is off. As long as the driver status shows off then you will be good. Keeping the service running is fine but turning it off ensures that the driver will not get turned on by some gps polling software running (if that was ever an issue). I personally don't see that happening.

Since no one described the environment they were running, if they had the Maps plugin on/off, the Maps program running/not running, etc. it's very hard to quantify.
    I tested out maps last night. It is very well behaved unlike Sprint Navigation. Maps only keeps a gps connection going during data transfer then immediately closes it and you see the hardware being turned off.

Sprint Navigation however keeps an active gps connection going the whole time it's open which leaves the hardware on until the app is closed (not just suspended in the background). This explains why my battery drained the other day when I left Sprint Navigation running by accident.

But even hannip has shown it's not really the Location Privacy that matters, it's the drivers and hardware being called on and activated. If they are no longer being called on, they should turn off and I believe they do...if you actually close the gps apps.
    And I have observed that when all gps connections are closed the hardware is turned off so that is working. No bug with the device itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    Hannip, one more question (for tonight )

Can you give me an example of comand line entry to turn on the gps_tool. I am struggling a bit.
    Sorry wrecks, I had to get *some* sleep. Didn't mean to leave you hanging.

To run the tool in MortScript you would do something like this.

Code:
    RunWait( "\Windows\GPS_tool.exe", "-on" )

RunWait( "\patch to tom tom or other gps prog", "some parameters" )

RunWait( "\Windows\GPS_tool.exe", "-off" )
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Yep, you can use my tool to verify that the hardware is off. As long as the driver status shows off then you will be good. Keeping the service running is fine but turning it off ensures that the driver will not get turned on by some gps polling software running (if that was ever an issue). I personally don't see that happening.

I tested out maps last night. It is very well behaved unlike Sprint Navigation. Maps only keeps a gps connection going during data transfer then immediately closes it and you see the hardware being turned off.

Sprint Navigation however keeps an active gps connection going the whole time it's open which leaves the hardware on until the app is closed (not just suspended in the background). This explains why my battery drained the other day when I left Sprint Navigation running by accident.

And I have observed that when all gps connections are closed the hardware is turned off so that is working. No bug with the device itself.
    lol, well I'm convinced!

I guess we could further test Live Search and Google Maps, but I think a pattern here is emerging.

Still--great little tool we have here now to "guarantee" no accidental gps battery drainage.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Sorry wrecks, I had to get *some* sleep. Didn't mean to leave you hanging.

To run the tool in MortScript you would do something like this.

Code:
    RunWait( "\Windows\GPS_tool.exe", "-on" )

RunWait( "\patch to tom tom or other gps prog", "some parameters" )

RunWait( "\Windows\GPS_tool.exe", "-off" )
    Sleep = Good.

Mahalo for the example code.
    thank you hannip! Going to give this a try. So it is confirmed that the location/911 status does not matter which one is chosen?
  6.    #86  
    I beleive it has to be set to Location On for it to work.
    I beleive it has to be set to Location On for it to work.
    Ok then. Thank you. Location on it is.
    I did not notice any major battery problems, but I use the wisbar lite close button so there are no running apps. Do you think the close button is the major need for preserving battery on the 800w?
  9. rex
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hannip or anyone else??
    When the location services is turned off, shouldnt the GPS polling service also be off? I am seeing that in the list of windows services, GPSpolling is running.
    that comes to the next question. i see a bunch of services running. are these consuming power. the reason I ask is shud the service called "Sync Bluetooth Server" be running when i am not gonna sync thru bluetooth.
    Thanks
    Rex
    P.S. i am seeing the list of windows services running with Dot Freds task manager.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I'm trying to test this, but only overnight when I'm not using the Treo. Last night, I turned off all GPS with this tool and set it to 911 only. In about 7 hours, it dropped from 98% to 61%. I'll do the same tonight with all GPS stuff and location on and report in the morning.
    Update: This time I turned on Location and the GPS with this tool and left it off the charger for about 10 hours. In that time it dropped from 98% to COMPLETELY DRAINED.

In both cases, everything else was set the same and I didn't touch the device during that period of time.
    Update: This time I turned on Location and the GPS with this tool and left it off the charger for about 10 hours.
    Just for the sake of clarity: you just turned GPS to "Location On", but didn't open Sprint Navigation or another GPS-related program? Or was the phone actively connected to a program seeking a GPS fix?

I would expect that an active GPS connection would be a big drain, but I'm curious if simply having "Location On" vs. "911 only" would show a big difference.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Just for the sake of clarity: you just turned GPS to "Location On", but didn't open Sprint Navigation or another GPS-related program? Or was the phone actively connected to a program seeking a GPS fix?
    I did not follow this by opening any GPS software. I just charged it, made the changes to the GPS and Location settings, and took it off the charger for the night.

However, I forgot to check if any GPS sofware was already running in the background; but I don't recall using any mapping software at all yesterday. The only other possible difference in these 2 experiments was other software running. I didn't check to see the list of items in the task manager. Perhaps there was a slight difference in the 2, but I can't check now to see what's running as I came back to find the phone shut down.

There is clearly a difference though unless some totally unexpected app like Pocket Informant is sucking the power.

I'll continue this tonight. Any requests as to how you would like the device configured this time?
    I leave Location services turned on and just use the GPS_tool to turn off the service when I'm not using it. I haven't noticed any excessive draining.
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Hannip or anyone else??
    When the location services is turned off, shouldnt the GPS polling service also be off? I am seeing that in the list of windows services, GPSpolling is running.
    that comes to the next question. i see a bunch of services running. are these consuming power. the reason I ask is shud the service called "Sync Bluetooth Server" be running when i am not gonna sync thru bluetooth.
    Thanks
    Rex
    P.S. i am seeing the list of windows services running with Dot Freds task manager.
    If the GPS service is turned off then nothing will be able to turn on the hardware. You can test turning off GPSpolling service but I don't think it will make much difference one way or the other.
  15.    #95  
    Update: This time I turned on Location and the GPS with this tool and left it off the charger for about 10 hours. In that time it dropped from 98% to COMPLETELY DRAINED.

In both cases, everything else was set the same and I didn't touch the device during that period of time.
    Cool dude. Glad it gave you dramatic difference in battery life. Now tonight turn off the all radios (phone, gps, etc). It will probably just drop 5-10 percents.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Cool dude. Glad it gave you dramatic difference in battery life. Now tonight turn off the all radios (phone, gps, etc). It will probably just drop 5-10 percents.
    Yeah, thanks a lot for starting this thread. Now I hope someone will be able to automatically turn the GPS services on and off when launching mapping software.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    Jerz2dc, how do you get TT7? I didn't think it was available yet. I'm assuming you have to switch the setting location back to normal before you can use TT, right?
    All I can say is Bit Torrent is Your Friend. The following words "TomTom 7 for Windows Mobile" will guide you in the right direction. Yes I do have to switch the setting location back when I want to use Tom Tom.
    Last edited by jerz2dc; 07/25/2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

Update 2: This time I turned Location on and GPS services off. After about 9.5 hours, I dropped from 98% to 24%.

Case 1: 911 only/GPS off - 7 hours - 98% to 61%
    Case 2: Location on/GPS on - 10 hours - 98% to 0%
    Case 3: Location on/GPS off - 9.5 hours - 98% to 24%
    I know I'm being a bit dense, but does turning off GPS with the "On Location" switch do the same as Hannip's tool? Or should you use that tool in place of switching "On Location".

I guess I'm confused about the whole "gps hardware" vs. "gps services" thing.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Update 2: This time I turned Location on and GPS services off. After about 9.5 hours, I dropped from 98% to 24%.

Case 1: 911 only/GPS off - 7 hours - 98% to 61%
    Case 2: Location on/GPS on - 10 hours - 98% to 0%
    Case 3: Location on/GPS off - 9.5 hours - 98% to 24%
    Something very odd with your device nlowhor...

Hannip and I yesterday were comparing numbers and we crush your results (and I had and have always had "My location" on):
    http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show...2&postcount=27

I'm glad this works for some of you but I really think something else is going on...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter