Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 164
  1. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #61  
    I switched GPS to 911 only today and was charging the whole day until I left work about 8 hours ago. My phone is now down to 66%, but I've only actually used it for a total of 5-10 minutes, the rest of the time it's just been asleep. Still, that's about 24 hours of minimal use for the battery. I also have wifi off, IR beam accept off but BT is on. The two apps that might be using some power would be Activesync and Oz IM...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  2. #62  
    I whipped up this neat little tool. It will tell you the on/off status of both the GPS service and the GPS driver (hardware) and allow you to turn the service on or off.

    If you turn the service off it will close all GPS connections and turn off the hardware. When you turn the service back on you will note that the hardware does not turn on until your GPS software makes a request to it. If your GPS software was running already when you turn the service back on you may need to close and relaunch it to reopen the connection.

    The program by default will show you the GPS status and prompt you to turn it off or on depending on the current state of the service. It also supports the following command line flags.

    -toggle
    -on
    -off

    The exe is installed at \Windows\GPS_tool.exe
    A shortcut is created in Start->Programs which you can move if desired.

    Let me know how it works for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  3. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #63  
    hannip,

    Cool! Thanks for the tool. I've got it installed and have a little feedback for you. When I first installed it, I had my setting to 911 only. After turning the GPS on and off a couple times with and without 911 only on, I couldn't get a GPS fix in TomTom at all. I rebooted, turned Location On, loaded TomTom, and it got a fix fine. Then I tried using your tool to turn the GPS on and off and tried TomTom. It worked as expected. Then I set it to 911 only, and no matter which way I switched the GPS with your tool, TomTom couldn't get a fix.

    Is this how you expected it to work? As far as I can tell, the 911/location setting has no impact on the GPS being on or off according to what your tool says. However, it definitely has an impact on TomTom being able to get a fix as this is only possible with Location on and your tool reporting GPS on.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I whipped up this neat little tool. It will tell you the on/off status of both the GPS service and the GPS driver (hardware) and allow you to turn the service on or off.

    If you turn the service off it will close all GPS connections and turn off the hardware. When you turn the service back on you will note that the hardware does not turn on until your GPS software makes a request to it. If your GPS software was running already when you turn the service back on you may need to close and relaunch it to reopen the connection.

    The program by default will show you the GPS status and prompt you to turn it off or on depending on the current state of the service. It also supports the following command line flags.

    -toggle
    -on
    -off

    The exe is installed at \Windows\GPS_tool.exe
    A shortcut is created in Start->Programs which you can move if desired.

    Let me know how it works for you.
    Cool....first few minutes seems to be going well, when its on, LiveSearch, GoogleMaps and TeleNav pick me up right away. When its off, takes a little while and frankly I lost patience tonight, so I'd close the app, turn GPS back and instantly got a bead on me. It looks like it is starting the GPS in TeleNav, then hangs up at 10% open for a while....I'll check it out tomorrow more, and see if keeping it off helps battery. Hooked it up with the side button for easy access.

    Good job.
  5.    #65  
    thanks for putting some of your bandwidth to writing this program.

    I've installed it and understand what it does. It does exactly what you said it would do. It does not however disable the location privacy. At least is does not appear to.

    Only time will tell if your app saves battery cosumption. Also because you have to turn on 'Location On' in order for your tool to work, we can find out if that setting also drains our battery or not.
    Last edited by wrecks; 07/23/2008 at 02:01 AM.
  6. #66  
    It's the GPS hardware that eats the battery. The tool doesn't mess with location privacy. Turning that off is not necessary if you use this tool. Jiust another means to the same end.
  7.    #67  
    Hannip
    A bit off topic. I've been messing with Mortscript using your gps_tool and to launch GarminXT. Do you know why when I execute it, the display on GarminXT is a bit off?
  8. #68  
    No idea, the tool doesn't do anything to the display and makes only supported os calls.
  9.    #69  
    Sorry.. Let me rephrase. When using Mortscript to launch GarminXT, it messes up the display a little. Here is the pick of Garmin XT launched by a Mortscript



    Here is a picture of GarminXT and how it suppose to look.


    Utimately what I am trying to do is use your tool and scripts to automatically turn on the gps, then poll if garmin is running, and if not, to shutdown the gps and end the mortscript.
    end if
    end if
  10. #70  
    Could it be that when you launch it normally it uses a shortcut with parameters that aren't being specified using the script?
  11.    #71  
    Coolio. Got it so work.. Had to replace QueSP.exe with QuePPC.exe.

    Thanks for your input.
  12.    #72  
    Hannip, one more question (for tonight )

    Can you give me an example of comand line entry to turn on the gps_tool. I am struggling a bit.
  13. #73  
    Thanks for this post. Tried it and the battery did not die as fast. Survived the work day without charging at the office.
  14. #74  
    I'm still not getting increased usage time when turning the GPS function to 911 only. booooo
  15. #75  
    I have Tom Tom 7 Installed and I use GPSGate to create a virtual com port (com4) and I usually get a quick lock on 8-9 satellites. Anyways my battery life has been horrible. Thanks to setting location privacy to 911 only, my battery actually lasts throughout the day. Thanks so much for this tip. My battery life is almost on par (but not quite) with my 755p. I have not performed any other power saving tips, but this one and I am extremely happy at this point.
  16. #76  
    Has anyone been able to quantify any battery life differences? I'm just curious if there's been any attempt to get beyond anecdotal evidence.

    I'm just worried about the "Rev A effect", in which folks felt there was a big difference in data speed by checking off the Rev A button, but closer examination seems to show that there isn't a difference.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17. gottspd's Avatar
    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    #77  
    Jerz2dc, how do you get TT7? I didn't think it was available yet. I'm assuming you have to switch the setting location back to normal before you can use TT, right?
  18. okashira's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Has anyone been able to quantify any battery life differences? I'm just curious if there's been any attempt to get beyond anecdotal evidence.

    I'm just worried about the "Rev A effect", in which folks felt there was a big difference in data speed by checking off the Rev A button, but closer examination seems to show that there isn't a difference.
    valid concern, and i'm worried about the same thing. I'll try to to a more scientific comparison this weekend. Maybe hannip's new tool will help with that.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by okashira View Post
    valid concern, and i'm worried about the same thing. I'll try to to a more scientific comparison this weekend. Maybe hannip's new tool will help with that.
    Yeah, specifically we need to have softresets with no one running GPS to compare.

    I've always exited/closed my GPS apps which therefore shuts down the GPS on my device. So turning "off" the Location privacy thing has had no discernible difference, especially compared to those who are nearly doubling their battery.

    Since no one described the environment they were running, if they had the Maps plugin on/off, the Maps program running/not running, etc. it's very hard to quantify.

    But even hannip has shown it's not really the Location Privacy that matters, it's the drivers and hardware being called on and activated. If they are no longer being called on, they should turn off and I believe they do...if you actually close the gps apps.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #80  
    I'm trying to test this, but only overnight when I'm not using the Treo. Last night, I turned off all GPS with this tool and set it to 911 only. In about 7 hours, it dropped from 98% to 61%. I'll do the same tonight with all GPS stuff and location on and report in the morning.

Posting Permissions