Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    glad to see you're on the case

I wonder if...
    • The "Maps" plugin is constantly calling GPSOpenDevice? (or the palm .dll that handles it, forgot the name)
    • If people leave open an app (Maps, Live Search, GMaps), does it still make calls GPSOpenDevice?

This gets back to the discussion "Should I close my GPS app when finished?" we had a few threads ago where I suggested yeah, people definitely should.

I would think that if you soft-reset the device and don't touch GPS at all, it won't ever call on GPSOpenDevice and you won't have any battery drain, but perhaps if you used it and left it in the background, you would.

It just seems odd that Palm would leave such a loop hole in battery life by leaving the GPS function open all the time, killing battery life....
    Yep. If you leave a gps app running the app may leave the gps connection open and thereby leaving the gps hardware on. I noticed this during my trip the other day. I had opened sprint navigation and forgot to close it. A few hours later my phone was warning me of low battery.

One of the IOCTL commands can get the gps hardware status. It'll be interesting to check the state under different conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    One of the IOCTL commands can get the gps hardware status. It'll be interesting to check the state under different conditions.
    Definitely.

One of the reasons I think I won't be as affected by this as others (possibly, we'll see) is that I primarily have been using GPSToday.

When I use the "quick fix" option, it looks to me as if it's turning on GPS, pulling your coordinates (plus actual street address) and then turning off the GPS. This all happens within about 30 seconds.

Other dedicated mapping apps (maps, live search, gmaps, etc.) would seem more likely to leave open the connection so long as they are open.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerx View Post
    Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are off. I've also turned off the "receive all incoming IR beams" feature. I did all three of these when I first got the phone.
    check to see if your connected to the internet. Also go to settings ->GPS manager and unclick the option that allows programs to use ur GPS automatically
    Quote Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 View Post
    check to see if your connected to the internet. Also go to settings ->GPS manager and unclick the option that allows programs to use ur GPS automatically
    Nope...not connected to the internet.

However, I did just go in and uncheck the option for automatic GPS management.

I'm at 70% power after less than 3 1/2 hours of basically idling (except for the Activesync/push e-mail and performing checks of the items mentioned in previous posts.
    sorry i'm a noob to wm os. how do you turn off internet connections? I wake up and my phones been connected for 6 hours.
    Wait a minute...by connected to the internet do you mean connected to the EVDO network at the top? If that's the case then yes...but all my Sprint PDA phones have always been like that (including my Mogul which had awesome battery life). It's how it's connected for the Direct Push/Activesync over Exchange servers correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    glad to see you're on the case

I wonder if...
    • The "Maps" plugin is constantly calling GPSOpenDevice? (or the palm .dll that handles it, forgot the name)
    • If people leave open an app (Maps, Live Search, GMaps), does it still make calls GPSOpenDevice?
    That's a good point...I wonder if disabling the Maps entry on the today screen would have an effect on battery life. I do not run the Maps plugin on my 800w and do not see the drain being described. If I do not charge the device overnight (8-10 hours), I might lose about 10-15% charge.

In addition, I am not running bluetooth or WI-FI (I have also set the button to connect only when pressed). I am running Exchange Activesync (always connected).
    Quote Originally Posted by VTTony View Post
    That's a good point...I wonder if disabling the Maps entry on the today screen would have an effect on battery life. I do not run the Maps plugin on my 800w and do not see the drain being described. If I do not charge the device overnight (8-10 hours), I might lose about 10-15% charge.

In addition, I am not running bluetooth or WI-FI (I have also set the button to connect only when pressed). I am running Exchange Activesync (always connected).
    yeah, same here...I'm not noticing a difference yet either.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Another note, I also use the Exit (right soft menu) options when exiting Google Maps and Live Search, including after using GPS. I also have not disabled the Location On option.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTTony View Post

I have the same setup - the only things going at night are ActiveSync and hourly email updates. Maps plug-in has been off since day 1. But I typically wake up to a half-full battery if I leave it off the charger overnight...

I even turned off all today plug-ins, thinking that maybe XCast or the meters on Resco's today plug-in may have been draining the battery.
    I really haven't noticed a difference in battery life since I changed this either. I also removed the Maps plugin.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I would normally drain my battery by 20% after 3 hours of standby with light apps such as messages open in the task manager. By setting the GPS to 911 only when GPS is unnecessary I am down to 11% battery drain after the same amount of time. Thank you OP for sharing this find!
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I noticed battery extension after turning off GPS.
    Mine battery seems much better too now. Wow I wonder if the gps is polling constantly. Seems like it should only be doing it when a program requests it. I would not mind even if it took a little longer.
    I have noticed a significant positive difference in battery drain today with GPS set to 911 only vs. previous days. Typically by this time I am down to ~30%, but today I am at 59% still. Usage has been pretty typical.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Looks like we have a decent concensus here. Have you found that you need to restart the device in order to take advantage of the power loss?
  17.    #57  
    no need to restart, but probably doesn't hurt to.
    So is this another serious 800w bug? There's no reason that the GPS chip should be using this much power just sitting there. Sprint's other WM GPS phones don't have that problem.
    Oh good lord, the troll is back. Shoo!
    Jeff Kirvin
    Author of Between Heaven and Hell, a different kind of SF novel.
    Get it at eReader http://www.ereader.com/product/detail/5493
    or Fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook29869.htm

For the sequel, check out eSerials at http://www.serialfiction.net

Listen to the Maximum Geek Podcast!
    http://www.solomedia.org/podcast/
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    So is this another serious 800w bug? There's no reason that the GPS chip should be using this much power just sitting there. Sprint's other WM GPS phones don't have that problem.
    to be honest...no

at least i'm not convinced that having "Location on" uses battery.

leaving your gps app open after it got a fixed location? yeah, that will.

ps and yeah, sprint's "other wm phones" do have gps problems left and right--over at SU there is a thread with a few users who can't get GMaps to work and/or Live Search on their 6.1 touches...gps flakiness is common on these devices
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast