Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 164
  1.    #21  
    damm, the gps prog didn't work on the 800w.
    Last edited by wrecks; 07/21/2008 at 11:08 PM.
  2. #22  
    I read Wrecks initial post at 7:47. I immediately made the switch to 911 private. I am POSITIVE that it has made a DRASTIC change in battery life for me in the past 4 hours! Wrecks was not exaggerating when he claimed 100% improvement.
  3. mopak's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #23  
    The GPS Toggle program listed above is the first program I've installed on my Treo 800w that didn't work. Actually, it completely disabled GPS for me.

    To get rid of it, I just delete the cab file?
  4.    #24  
    nah, go to Start->Settings->System tab->Remove program
  5. #25  
    Look under 'Settings\System\Remove Programs'
    Just call me Berd.
  6. #26  
    Thanks wrecks,
    I'm going to keep this in mind.
    It most likely will be needed for the 850 also.
    I'm sure it's going to have battery issues also.
    Just call me Berd.
  7.    #27  
    hannip.... NICE!! It works..

    I want to ask you to do whole lot more, but not going to put you in that situation.
  8.    #28  
    Update, it does not work.. It sure does put a / on the icon like it was disabled, but that is about it.

    I wonder if the locater has a process to it. That way combined with your script we can kill the process or start the process.
  9. #29  
    Ugh. That's what I get for writing stuff when I'm half asleep. Looks like the value gets changed back after the script changes it. How rude. I'll look into it.
  10. #30  
    hannip, I was thinking of taking a shot at this, but I'm glad you did it. Would it be possible to make a list of GPS-aware apps, so that this gets invoked automagically when these apps are launched?

    I was also thinking that when one of these apps closes, it checks to see whether there are any other apps running, and if not, it shuts down the GPS. Is all this doable with MortScript?
  11. #31  
    Yes, this could be done by polling every few seconds to see if one of your gps apps in the list is running then turn on gps if need be. If none are running turn off gps. I wonder if there will be issues if gps isn't initialized prior to the app starting.

    At any rate I need to fix the script or write a proggy since the script I posted above still needs some work.
  12. #32  
    Looks like the information I need to write the gps on/off app is here.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms889556.aspx

    I'll try this later tonight.

    Interesting info about how much battery power gps takes.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms889976.aspx

    BTW, I deleted my post with the script above since this is going to take more than a script to take care of this. Actually you could do it with a script but not nicely. It would have to simulate the mouse taps.
    Last edited by hannip; 07/22/2008 at 09:16 AM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
    Well, having Wifi and BT off is a given, but my greatest battery saver is just turning off the GPS by swithing the Location Privacy to 911 Only. I would say it increased 100% the last few days. I still have exchange push as they arrive and average about 80-100 emails a day.

    Keep in mind you have to turn Location Privacy back to Location on when you use anything GPS related such as maps, garmin, etc.

    Curious if you folks get the same results. Let us know.
    Looks like you found the battery problem, or at least one of them. Three hours into the day with GPS, GPSGate, Exchange push, screen saver, WiFi and BT off, I am at 95%, yesterday with just GPS (and GPSGate) on I was down to 50% by now. Now I can start turning some other things back on one at a time and see how it goes. I like this phone but this problem has to be solved. Hopefully this is a bug that can be fixed; GPS should not be that big a drain. The device was pretty unusable otherwise as a trustworthy phone.

    If confirmed, we all need to report this to Palm but there is also still the possibility of interaction with third party software. I need to do some testing with GSPgate, for example, that I must use to get Tom Tom to work. But I think we are honing in on the problem area.

    I am curious, what were the beta testers finding? Some of you out there were involved in this. Was this an issue reported to Palm in beta testing? After a week with the device the rumors about the second battery are interesting are they not? Oh Palm, you make it so hard to love thee!
  14. #34  
    According to the Microsoft docs the gps hardware can consume as much power as the display. The power management is suppose to turn off the gps hardware when all connections to it are closed. By turning off location services this forces all the connections to be closed.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    According to the Microsoft docs the gps hardware can consume as much power as the display. The power management is suppose to turn off the gps hardware when all connections to it are closed. By turning off location services this forces all the connections to be closed.
    glad to see you're on the case

    I wonder if...
    • The "Maps" plugin is constantly calling GPSOpenDevice? (or the palm .dll that handles it, forgot the name)
    • If people leave open an app (Maps, Live Search, GMaps), does it still make calls GPSOpenDevice?

    This gets back to the discussion "Should I close my GPS app when finished?" we had a few threads ago where I suggested yeah, people definitely should.

    I would think that if you soft-reset the device and don't touch GPS at all, it won't ever call on GPSOpenDevice and you won't have any battery drain, but perhaps if you used it and left it in the background, you would.

    It just seems odd that Palm would leave such a loop hole in battery life by leaving the GPS function open all the time, killing battery life....

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. #36  
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have GPS off and still I'm at 82% after 2 hours.

    I have keyguard active, brightness set to 40%, etc.

    The only battery hungry thing I have running is Active Sync/Direct Push.

    What am I doing wrong? I haven't even made any calls this morning.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    Looks like you found the battery problem, or at least one of them. Three hours into the day with GPS, GPSGate, Exchange push, screen saver, WiFi and BT off, I am at 95%, yesterday with just GPS (and GPSGate) on I was down to 50% by now. Now I can start turning some other things back on one at a time and see how it goes. I like this phone but this problem has to be solved. Hopefully this is a bug that can be fixed; GPS should not be that big a drain. The device was pretty unusable otherwise as a trustworthy phone.

    If confirmed, we all need to report this to Palm but there is also still the possibility of interaction with third party software. I need to do some testing with GSPgate, for example, that I must use to get Tom Tom to work. But I think we are honing in on the problem area.

    I am curious, what were the beta testers finding? Some of you out there were involved in this. Was this an issue reported to Palm in beta testing? After a week with the device the rumors about the second battery are interesting are they not? Oh Palm, you make it so hard to love thee!
    Always make sure you arent connected to the internet as well. This phone has a knack for connecting upon powerup. Noticed this morning, I didnt even get on the net and I clicked the EV icon and it said I was conncected for 2 hours
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerx View Post
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have GPS off and still I'm at 82% after 2 hours.

    I have keyguard active, brightness set to 40%, etc.

    The only battery hungry thing I have running is Active Sync/Direct Push.

    What am I doing wrong? I haven't even made any calls this morning.

    Turn off beam in start --> settings --> connections
  19. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerx View Post
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have GPS off and still I'm at 82% after 2 hours.

    I have keyguard active, brightness set to 40%, etc.

    The only battery hungry thing I have running is Active Sync/Direct Push.

    What am I doing wrong? I haven't even made any calls this morning.
    Do you have Wifi on? BT?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    Turn off beam in start --> settings --> connections
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Do you have Wifi on? BT?
    Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are off. I've also turned off the "receive all incoming IR beams" feature. I did all three of these when I first got the phone.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions