Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    This is a matter of opinion. Some prefer metal, some prefer plastic.
    Of course it is, that's my point.
    I think most of us coming from previous Treos would be accustomed to, and would prefer a metal stylus.
    Perhaps. But perhaps a lot of end-users also don't really care. Who knows.
    I don't see how stylus can be paintful to use, but I don't really use my stylus so I wouldn't know.
    I use mine a lot. While you can't see how it can be painful, I can't see how people are "bending" theirs when using it either--how hard do you have to push?

I also can't see how this matters so much to people that they have to post on it (let alone email the CEO and others at Palm).
    Personally, it sounds to me like you're trying to justify and downplay the whole situation, but that's just my opinion.
    Nah. If you think the 800w's stylus is bad, you didn't have to use the one on the Centro which is even smaller (still didn't bother me). That device has sold 2 million and the forums had the same complainers about the stylus then. Result? No impact in the real world.

I just don't see the big deal about the stylus--metal or plastic (that's why I never complained about the 700wx's stylus). So many admit on here (yourself included) that they rarely use it--after all the Treo is touted as one-handed by so many.

It seems as if people have run out of things to about on the device, so they decided "ooo..damn that stylus! it's barely usable!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Spoken like a true east coaster.

blah blah blah

That is the purpose of having GPS built in, yes?
    I did say Palm should clarify on what they mean here (and presumably fix it if possible), so I'm not sure what the disagreement here is about.

I'm not sure why presupposing that people who buy the 800w are normally well within Sprint coverage on a regular basis. That doesn't seem like a radical assumption. You are aware that most of Sprint's phone have had aGPS in them for years now and they are all network-dependent, correct?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I use mine a lot. While you can't see how it can be painful, I can't see how people are "bending" theirs when using it either--how hard do you have to push?
    Tilt your stylus to about a 30-45* angle (relative to the device) and watch the annoyance begin.

If you use it at a near 90* angle, then there's no problem with flex.
    In response to charging issues- I know I'm not the only one who has had this issue- it has been posted on here by quite a couple of other members.

Often the device will stop charging properly, and view in Windows as an "Unrecognized USB device".

Some posters recognize this problem when using ICS, however I experienced it for the first time well before that.

This phone also DIED ON ME, while charging because I was talking on it. Both with the USB charger plugged into my car, as well as once with the home charged pluged in. This is not standard for a cellular phone.

These are not little pet-peeve issues like a stylus, but issues that effect the actual operation of the phone.

When I first got the phone it did not make it through the day- now after my first hard reset it operates better. Still though the battery is not quite sufficient for my tastes.

... and as far as handset choices, through general polling and working in youth markets, the general consensus is that Sprint does have the poorest handset selections and the strictest rules in the business (amongst the top 4 providers in the US).
    There is ONE hard-qwerty non-smartphone and it doesen't even have EVDO.
    Verizon has about 5.

As far as developers going in- it would be FAR more effective for Palm or Samsung to make a program or mode that allows 320 x 240 resolution applications to run properly, than for MS to offer an SDK and expect thousands of games and programs (some made 5-7 years ago) to be revamped.

and I certainly wasn't implying that people weren't unhappy about buying the new Palm Treo 800w, but that they WERE unhappy with what was previously available to them, or how long it has been in between quality phone releases.
    If you don't think that a huge number of sprint customers have been unhappy with the cellular selection, you should see the new handsets of those who did.

Finally, I was not trying to say that HTC 'created' this phone, but more so that if Palm can't QUICKLY come back with some realistic answers about the hardware inside of it, how can they progress their line of products- and what good are they in providing the support?

The hardware in this phone is great, but I don't agree that you should have to reverse engineer it to place it on acceptable standards.
    Everyone should start holding microsoft, palm, htc, to a higher standard-

and for some, that may begin with a stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by grant516 View Post

and I certainly wasn't implying that people weren't unhappy about buying the new Palm Treo 800w, but that they WERE unhappy with what was previously available to them, or how long it has been in between quality phone releases.
    Again, I'm not sure you can make such broad generalizations, based upon your own experience. Remember, even if there's chatter on these boards, they don't necessarily reflect the views of the majority of users.

The hardware in this phone is great, but I don't agree that you should have to reverse engineer it to place it on acceptable standards.
    Everyone should start holding microsoft, palm, htc, to a higher standard-

and for some, that may begin with a stylus.
    The "acceptable standard" of those power users on these boards is not necessarily the same as the usual customer, so your view of "acceptable" quite possibly isn't the same as everyone else. The best way to hold any company to a standard is to vote with your wallet, not to complain on a message board.

Holding them to a standard of stylus is....well, silly. I'd suggest spending a few dollars on a stylus and battery, and not sweating the small stuff.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Again, I'm not sure you can make such broad generalizations, based upon your own experience. Remember, even if there's chatter on these boards, they don't necessarily reflect the views of the majority of users.

The "acceptable standard" of those power users on these boards is not necessarily the same as the usual customer, so your view of "acceptable" quite possibly isn't the same as everyone else. The best way to hold any company to a standard is to vote with your wallet, not to complain on a message board.

Holding them to a standard of stylus is....well, silly. I'd suggest spending a few dollars on a stylus and battery, and not sweating the small stuff.
    You miss, and make the point at the same time-
    there really is no flexibility one can make with one's wallet.

If you utilize the WM OS, you're stuck with one of two handsets the provider sells- the majority of the time those are by the same vendor.

Treo might put out a better product and test some instances better before releasing it to the public if there was some incentive to push their product.
    I purchased the Treo because there are no other WM phones on Sprint that are adequate, and the Mogul is $549 for a phone that is almost 16 months old in CDMA, and 24 months old in GSM.

Customers on Howard Forums, Sprint Users, etc, make up a decent population of people buying 1 or more phones per-year. I'm not the first person in the world to make the generalization that Sprint has a poor handset selection-

You can't deny that
    Sprint has the least amount of QWERTY devices per carrier.
    Sprint is the only completely locked down network of the major 4 in the US.

Sure this isn't going to be an issue for some 55 year old women, however I think the sprint customer churn rate certainly shows dissatisfaction in some regard.

This isn't just one person opinion- and I'm certainly not dissapointed at Sprint for putting out the Treo, which is a pretty decent phone.

No phone is perfect though, AND SOME OF THE PROBLEMS that the Treo 700w brought to the table, were not resolved at launch.
    This shows the lack of progression and concern a customer has-

So much props to anyone who wants to send an upset letter to the head of marketing and design at Palm, and tells them that they could have put a more impressive Stylus in a $600 dollar phone.
    Ship it with Two batteries, and fix the GPS.

The customer has ever right not to be satisfied with their purchase.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    For the Mogul there was this line of code in the registry that could be changed
    Code:
    go to HKLM > SOFTWARE > HTC > SUPL AGPS >

change EnableAGPS to 0
    change EnableGPSSmartMode to 0
    change GPSMode to 1
    Is there not something like this for the 800?
    Not to fan the flame, but I'm generally liking the 800w. I'm coming from the Treo 700p so my view would most likely be different than from someone coming from the 700wx.

I find the 800w generally all around better than the 700p. However, there are few things that detracts from the overall user experience with the 800w. Nothing is a show stopper, but it does take away from the overall positive user experience.

Before I got the 800w and I was reading complaints about the stylus on this forum, I thought they were making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I have to tell you now, the stylus is one of the issues I have with the phone. Again, it's not a show stopper and it is adequate. But I've held uncooked pasta noodle with less flex. And unfortunately, in my experience, the flex is a by product of the stylus being so skinny. I don't have large hands, but I have trouble holding onto it because it is so skinny.

I think I could be more forgiving to Palm if I thought including a wet noodle stylus was part of a design decision (save weight, reception, etc). However, I'm tending to think that it was a pure cost savings measure. For a $600 device, spend another 20 cents and include a better stylus. Not sure what Palm was thinking. I guarantee that there would be less discussion on the stylus of the 800w if it was just made better. I mean....how many people complained about the stylus on the 700p? I'm sure there were some, but not to this extent.

And for those arguing that the 800w was meant to be a one handed device and you should only be using the included stylus once in a full blue moon, try playing Bejeweled with you finger tips or the included 800w stylus. Not one of the best experiences.

Again, not a huge issue nor a show stopper. But one thing I learned from years of buying products, small attention to details go a long ways.

Tae
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234