Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    EDIT: Just tried GPS with the phone radio off and using Google Maps and cached data and it works just fine. Do only some have the issue or am I not seeing something?
    Try turning the radio off, then soft rebooting, then trying GPS (with the radio off).

Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    I have, the only things that affects my internet speed are soft resets, and signal strength.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $check$ $box$ $does$ $nothing$.
    Did you check the latency?

Did you check the upload speed?

Were you in a Rev. A area on a Rev. A tower?
    It's nice to have the all in one, while I admit the GPS works great in sprint's network-

I would love to take the device with me when I go overseas to use as my mp3 player and as a map. Obviously this sounds like an issue now. :\
    Which is ironic because it is, and has been heavily pointed out that this was a standalone GPS and aGPS. Wonder what the deal is.
    Any Updates ??????
    Well i just used my 800w from home all the way to work 65.7 miles and yes it did put a beating on my battery since i haven't gone to get a car charger and didn't bring ac-dc adapter. But anyway it worked great and didn't loose a signal when i went into the bermuda triangle crossing the state line and toll boths like some of my other phones use to. So all in all it worked great except for i didn't have anything telling me when to turn which could be a good thing. I will be getting CoPilot Live 7 and let all know how it goes.

Update on Micro sdhc 8gb memory works great recognized it as soon as i put it in the phone now looking for 16gb to test with.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaw900r View Post
    WBut anyway it worked great and didn't loose a signal when i went into the bermuda triangle crossing the state line and toll boths like some of my other phones use to.
    the point about the gps is it won't work without first getting a cell signal meaning it is not autonomous as advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    They do.

Here's a test: post some inside info about them and see how fast they track you down ;-)

And boy are they good. When I posted the 800w pick they called my parents house the next day asking for me and we don't even live in the same state.

The Palm investigator was a very nice individual though after talking to him on the phone. Lucky for me we were not under any sort of NDA with Sprint or Palm which is probably why he was so nice.

As far as GPS goes, I have used it in remote parts of OK and as long as I have the Sprint Nav maps downloaded and stay on track the GPS works when i have zero signal/no coverage. If the GPS is assisted why can't you use Nav indoors? I haven't tried GMaps but I would think that if it were aGPS you would still get a location indoors or out, like the iPhone (not comparing the two, just GPS with aGPS).
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    As far as GPS goes, I have used it in remote parts of OK and as long as I have the Sprint Nav maps downloaded and stay on track the GPS works when i have zero signal/no coverage. If the GPS is assisted why can't you use Nav indoors? I haven't tried GMaps but I would think that if it were aGPS you would still get a location indoors or out, like the iPhone (not comparing the two, just GPS with aGPS).
    Oh I think it is absolutely aGPS (assisted) -- you can tell from inside (which does work) as well as the excellent performance in the deepest gps killing canyons of Manhattan

there are several ways A-GPS can assist the GPS and I think the 800w on Sprint implements that assistance very well. The issue is whether it can initialize without tower information and work as an autonomous GPS on the orbital data alone.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Just curious .... Has Ebag or anyone else heard new information from Palm regarding the supposed standalone GPS?
  9.    #49  
    I have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I have not.
    In terms of whether or not Palm listens, I'll point out that I sent an email copying Ed Colligan, Mike Bell (Product Development) and John Hartnett (Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Customer Relations) on July 19th regarding the decision to include a flimsy, pretty unusable plastic stylus in the 800W. I didn't receive *any* reply whatsoever, not even a blow off form letter. Frankly a little surprised in addition to disappointed.

Lack of acknowledgment (2+ weeks with nothing) to a customer concern is inexcusable in today's marketplace.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    In terms of whether or not Palm listens, I'll point out that I sent an email copying Ed Colligan, Mike Bell (Product Development) and John Hartnett (Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Customer Relations) on July 19th regarding the decision to include a flimsy, pretty unusable plastic stylus in the 800W. I didn't receive *any* reply whatsoever, not even a blow off form letter. Frankly a little surprised in addition to disappointed.

Lack of acknowledgment (2+ weeks with nothing) to a customer concern is inexcusable in today's marketplace.
    lmao

you wrote a CEO complaining about a stylus for your phone? lol

And how is the stylus "pretty unusable"--I thought it either works or doesn't, I mean it's just a little stick. Do you sometimes tap something on the screen and the stylus, I dunno, breaks down?

I actually like my stylus. As far as sticks go for touching touchscreens, it's been working with a 100% success rate.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I don't think it's a surprise that the head of Palm doesn't respond to an individual customer's complaint about a stylus. Frankly, the fact that folks think that he might is a little silly.
    I never said I wanted or expected the CEO to reply; I said I *wrote* the CEO, the head of prod development and head of customer service at their busineess email addresses and there apparantly is no process in place to ensure that customer comments are at a minimum acknowledged (usually via handoff to an executive support team in customer svc org).

The content of the communication has nothing to do with it (it basically chided them for making the stylus so cheap-feeling in a $600 device); the point is that given Palm's market position it's surprising they don't even attempt to feign interest in what their customers think.

Write to the CeO's office of nearly any consumer company Palm's size or larger and you'll typically here back from *someone* in the organization...it's telling that's not the case with Palm
    lmao

you wrote a CEO complaining about a stylus for your phone? lol

And how is the stylus "pretty unusable"--I thought it either works or doesn't, I mean it's just a little stick. Do you sometimes tap something on the screen and the stylus, I dunno, breaks down?

I actually like my stylus. As far as sticks go for touching touchscreens, it's been working with a 100% success rate.
    Trouble Maker!

Hey, my stylus kept overheating, and then it would shut down! I kept having to tap it on the table to get it to work again. I finally realized what the problem was; I was using it upside down. Mods, please make my post a sticky!
    I understand the complaints on the Stylus- not so much because I really care about how the Stylus acts, but for a particular expensive piece of hardware you would expect quality throughout.

There are definately USB charging issues with this phone.

There are obviously a lot of unsatisfied customers battery-wise.

There should be a 320 x 240 compatibility mode.

The GPS issue, is clearly either a botched implementation, or a mis-representation of the product.

Now great- all well and good, so many people are quick to judge and say if you're not happy- return the device. HOWEVER most of us were not happy customers when we got the device, Sprint has a poor selection of handsets and for those who use windows mobile this is a worthwile upgrade. I'm still fumed that the MOGUL was literally the 6700 without an antenna and with 32mb more rom.

I'm really glad a lot of fixes are made around here, and a lot of you guys are working around the clock to make the performance and usability on your phone a lot better- but realistically that's the job of PALM. That's what they are getting paid for, sadly this isn't a very competitive field-
    and god only knows this phone was made by HTC as well.
    Aren't most of the HP 69xx phones made by HTC, as well as the Treo 700w?

All too perplexing.
    [QUOTE=grant516;1476682

Now great- all well and good, so many people are quick to judge and say if you're not happy- return the device. HOWEVER most of us were not happy customers when we got the device, Sprint has a poor selection of handsets and for those who use windows mobile this is a worthwile upgrade. I'm still fumed that the MOGUL was literally the 6700 without an antenna and with 32mb more rom. [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that "most of us" were unhappy when we got the device.... I think that a great many posters have indicated that they love their new phones, and the reviews have been very positive.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
    I understand the complaints on the Stylus- not so much because I really care about how the Stylus acts, but for a particular expensive piece of hardware you would expect quality throughout.
    I actually like the stylus. There is no benefit in having a metal stylus--none. It's a silly discussion imo. What makes a "quality" stylus? It's a stick you tap the screen with. Plastic equals lighter. My metal stylus is actually more painful to use for long durations.
    There are definately USB charging issues with this phone.
    Charging issues? How so? I plug mine in and it charges, no problems. It does behave like Motorola devices though: it has to have a live power connection to charge.
    There are obviously a lot of unsatisfied customers battery-wise.
    How is this obvious? Because some people are posting in a forum for problem solving?

Have you ever participated in any other WM forum for any WM device? It's exactly the same as here.
    There should be a 320 x 240 compatibility mode.
    Or perhaps programmers should have put to use their SDK and emulator? The Samsung i780 (320x320) has been on the market for months already. Not much excuses for developers outside of "We didn't bother to do that yet".
    The GPS issue, is clearly either a botched implementation, or a mis-representation of the product.
    Agreed but I still maintain a moot point for many. I'm not aware of many people who use their phones for GPS on airplanes (outside of novelty), hiking of the map, off shore fishing, etc. But yeah, Palm should clarify that.
    Now great- all well and good, so many people are quick to judge and say if you're not happy- return the device. HOWEVER most of us were not happy customers when we got the device, Sprint has a poor selection of handsets and for those who use windows mobile this is a worthwile upgrade.
    That's still besides the point. Then switch carriers, get a BB, etc. Also, I don't believe you speak for "most of us" either.
    I'm still fumed that the MOGUL was literally the 6700 without an antenna and with 32mb more rom.
    Agreed, but besides the point.
    and god only knows this phone was made by HTC as well.
    Actually that has not been established as fact.

Inventec and Chi-Mei are likely candidates. There was a story about Palm shifting back to HTC, but I believe that was false.
    Aren't most of the HP 69xx phones made by HTC, as well as the Treo 700w?

All too perplexing.
    HTC reportedly makes the 700wx and 750 but then production may have shifted to Inventec.

There is a difference though: Palm designs the phones but outsources manufacturing. I think often people confuse ODM, OEM and CM.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/03/2008 at 04:10 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I actually like the stylus. There is no benefit in having a metal stylus--none. It's a silly discussion imo. What makes a "quality" stylus? It's a stick you tap the screen with. Plastic equals lighter. My metal stylus is actually more painful to use for long durations.
    This is a matter of opinion. Some prefer metal, some prefer plastic. I think most of us coming from previous Treos would be accustomed to, and would prefer a metal stylus. I don't see how stylus can be paintful to use, but I don't really use my stylus so I wouldn't know.

Personally, it sounds to me like you're trying to justify and downplay the whole situation, but that's just my opinion.
  19.    #59  
    I don't mind a plastic stylus. What I do mind is a stylus that clicks several mm higher than I intended to because of flex.

I would prefer a metal core stylus with a nice soft touch paint over it. It would probably wear off fairly quickly, but that'd be the ideal match between comfort and usability.

I would not mind an all plastic stylus IF it did not flex.

Agreed but I still maintain a moot point for many. I'm not aware of many people who use their phones for GPS on airplanes (outside of novelty), hiking of the map, off shore fishing, etc. But yeah, Palm should clarify that.
    Spoken like a true east coaster.

As I live in an area where I'm roaming if I travel more than 30-60 minutes away from the main interstate or any decent sized cities, I'm not on Sprint's network. A lot.

Us folks on the west coast (especially the Pacific Northwest) are often with either limited roaming (many areas I can't even use data at all) or without service completely.

Unless I want to completely restrict any of my summer activities, I'm without Sprint service probably a good 1/4th to 1/3rd of the summer.

I do have a GPS puck that works reasonably well. But I was hoping to not have to carry another device.

That is the purpose of having GPS built in, yes?
    My metal stylus is actually more painful to use for long durations.
    roflcopter
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast