Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    half the thread title is 'palm listens', and that's what I want to address. Do you believe there are marketing people at palm that read these forums, (here, howardsforums, etc.) for info about their products? I ask, cause I am a distributor for a specific market of high tech products, and I regularly respond to forums to a)be helpful with my past 20 yrs of industry knowledge, and b)to see what people are saying regarding the products we carry and our competitors products. It really is amazing what users do with the products, things the design engineers and product managers never thought of. But very innovative. Too many times I hear the manufacturers of the product complain about clients who find bugs or issues with the products. They may seem like a nusiance, but to me, they are worth their wt in gold, as they really are putting the product thru its paces. I want to reward them, not cringe if I see their number on Caller ID. The next rev of the product will be better if you listen to them. Just my rant! So ebaggs, thanks and great job in finding a guy who sounds like he will pass this along. Maybe he can get the product managers to read this forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    half the thread title is 'palm listens', and that's what I want to address. Do you believe there are marketing people at palm that read these forums, (here, howardsforums, etc.) for info about their products?
    They do.

Here's a test: post some inside info about them and see how fast they track you down ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    They do.

Here's a test: post some inside info about them and see how fast they track you down ;-)
    Yeah. I bet the aGPS will work reeaallly well in reverse mode to home in on me
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    So why haven't they (the Palm Police) ever "tracked down" the TC mods/members that have trickled out salacious tidbits/specs about (particularly) the 800w & Centro pre-release?

Not harassing anyone, just curious. :-)
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    So why haven't they (the Palm Police) ever "tracked down" the TC mods/members that have trickled out salacious tidbits/specs about (particularly) the 800w & Centro pre-release?

They did. A fair amount of posts disappeared pre-release.
    I don't think this means Palm rocks, necessarily, it means they have an employee who rocks, however. Not necessarily one and the same.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

lmao

Oh, Dieter and I get phone calls...trust me. It's not all puppies and unicorns and I got "tracked down" awhile ago. But once it's published, it's up and stays up.

If a forum member chooses to mod their own post, nothing we can do about that though.

And I know a recent pre-800w leak (involves .pdfs) resulted in a phone call, though a friendly one. Actually, Palm hates leaks and stuff but they are generally friendly about it when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Oh it's possible.

It was really cool to see how the HTC Diamond had that ROM fix in like what, 2 weeks after it was out?

Hopefully, if Palm realizes all of the above in your post, that they can do the same. They cant make excuses now that they are working on other stuff, like updates for the 700p, 755, etc etc. Maybe a deal for the Centro, but the 800w is the device that needs to be paid attention too, and fixed in a timely manner unlike that of the 700p where we all threw a fit. And it was a big one at that, and long over-due.

This is where I cringe when I see things like the HTC getting fixed pronto, or iPhone updates always being posted. I just hope Palm doesn't give a fix 6 months later, or this will really suck as a end user. Things of that sort may make me move to another device.
    Hmm if they do provide a fix in the near future you could end up seeing some custom ROM stuff REAL shortly afterwards....

Rodney
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    this is exactly what I mean/worry about...

3rd party apps do work with the built in GPS with little to no problems (I haven't had any), it's just if you go into an area with no cell phone coverage and have the radio off (only after a soft-reset) the entire time, it won't work.

But it works if you have a cell connection then loose the signal. You just need the network as a primer to get the GPS going, so to speak.
    Mal, you are one of a handful of people who seem to have a grasp on the 800w which is why I read all your posts very carefully. I respect your knowledge of all things WM as I have only always been a Palm OS man.

I have been back and forth on the 800w, thought I would buy it release day. However, the lack of standalone GPS has turned me cold.
    While the GPS seems to work, as you and others report, I find this statement to be disturbing: [PHP]
    "You just need the network as a primer to get the GPS going, so to speak".
    [/PHP]
    By definition, standalone GPS would mean that you will not need any help whatsoever from the cellular provider or from a single cell tower.

So, is it not a false claim?

I'm confused which makes me really mad because I was so ready for a new device.
    How about cold-starting the 800w while roaming? Will the GPS work under that circumstance?

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post

So, is it not a false claim?

I'm confused which makes me really mad because I was so ready for a new device.
    Right, Palm here is having an issue with advertising/nomenclature, so I'm in agreement that either it needs to be fixed or clarified.

So if you need a complete, off the cell-network GPS solution, then I do not suggest getting an 800w at this point.

(personally, if I needed a dedicated GPS system for driving, boating or hiking, I would not use my phone anyways--I find this better suited for "personal GPS")

Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Why would you do that anyway? It's great to have multiple functions in a device but no smartphone has as good of a GPS chipset as the stand alone units.

I love the GPS feature and will use it when I need to drive anywhere but if you're not using a device specifically for GPS and you're wondering around in the woods... well God help you. No smartphone is going to do exceptionally well especially compared to a standalone unit.
    I was interested in the standalone feature to double check the results I'm getting with my Colorado 400t, while geocaching. The idea is to have a 2nd gps that is always available, not just in a service area, plus a good reason to justify upgrading to myself.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    GPS

I do agree that this issue should be adressed.
    I forsee two pssoible solutions
    • Palm addressing the GPS lock issue with a software update/firmware upgrade (allowing it to properly function as standalong)
    • Palm and Sprint updateng specifications and marketing to reflect that data connection is required for GPS initial lock; while confirming to users that GPS is indeed 'a' only.

other important GPS notes:
    • After lock "i've" had no trouble with GPS tracking after phone is turned off. GPS keeps working without data.
    • Ive experienced several instances where I couldnt get GPS to relock after using the phone/gps... this happens after using google maps, driving to another location, then upon reopening/reinitializing google maps results in the inability to lock satellites until the phone is soft reset, even with data connection

RevA

I don't believe there is any reason to belive that RevA is not working on the phone. Infact, I believe it's working just fine.
    IMO, you shouldn't have gone thru the trouble of mentioning the RevA issue to a Palm enginner. Even engineers can absorb and communicate misinformation...especially when the 'issue' is possibly WM related and you spoke with an engineer with no WM experience.

Just because there's an empty RevA checkbox in a non-intended-to-be-user-servicable menu does not mean RevA is not working!!!

In fact, with the Sprint Mogul/HTC Titan, when RevA was enabled with a ROM update, the same checkbox appeared in the menu, unchecked. It was concluded that leaving the box unchecked does not affect reva, and it was, in fact, not recommended to check the RevA box.

Someone with the time and expertiese to do a comparison of speeds and latency before and after 'checking the box.' and I dont mean a single, or even a couple tests, or a report on how the device felt, but a truly scientific test.
    Upload and download speeds can be tested quite easily. one can navigate to an FTP or use any web based test if need be with all the choices of browsers we have.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    How about cold-starting the 800w while roaming? Will the GPS work under that circumstance?

Todd/Indy
    I've been able to get an unactivated 800w to obtain GPS lock. It was much slower and helf fewer satellites, but it was locked and working.

This may be evidence that the phone does support standalone - there's just a software bug/driver bug or quirk that's keeping the GPS working when data fails.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by okashira View Post
    I've been able to get an unactivated 800w to obtain GPS lock. It was much slower and helf fewer satellites, but it was locked and working.

This may be evidence that the phone does support standalone - there's just a software bug/driver bug or quirk that's keeping the GPS working when data fails.
    Even unactivated, the phone gets data from cell towers doesn't it?
    I used the Touch with the early leak of the "official" Sprint ROM that has GPS and that definitely works off network. I went to Mexico and when traveling to more remote areas I would download the maps for Google Maps and save them on the cache. When I was off network in remote areas the GPS worked flawlessly even with no signal. That was a pleasant surprise and while I have not tried it I am shocked my Treo 800w will not do GPS off network. It's not a dealbreaker but oh well.

EDIT: Just tried GPS with the phone radio off and using Google Maps and cached data and it works just fine. Do only some have the issue or am I not seeing something?
    Last edited by xchpstang; 07/21/2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    GPS

I do agree that this issue should be adressed.
    I forsee two pssoible solutions
    • Palm addressing the GPS lock issue with a software update/firmware upgrade (allowing it to properly function as standalong)
    • Palm and Sprint updateng specifications and marketing to reflect that data connection is required for GPS initial lock; while confirming to users that GPS is indeed 'a' only.

other important GPS notes:
    • After lock "i've" had no trouble with GPS tracking after phone is turned off. GPS keeps working without data.
    • Ive experienced several instances where I couldnt get GPS to relock after using the phone/gps... this happens after using google maps, driving to another location, then upon reopening/reinitializing google maps results in the inability to lock satellites until the phone is soft reset, even with data connection

RevA

I don't believe there is any reason to belive that RevA is not working on the phone. Infact, I believe it's working just fine.
    IMO, you shouldn't have gone thru the trouble of mentioning the RevA issue to a Palm enginner. Even engineers can absorb and communicate misinformation...especially when the 'issue' is possibly WM related and you spoke with an engineer with no WM experience.

Just because there's an empty RevA checkbox in a non-intended-to-be-user-servicable menu does not mean RevA is not working!!!

In fact, with the Sprint Mogul/HTC Titan, when RevA was enabled with a ROM update, the same checkbox appeared in the menu, unchecked. It was concluded that leaving the box unchecked does not affect reva, and it was, in fact, not recommended to check the RevA box.

Someone with the time and expertiese to do a comparison of speeds and latency before and after 'checking the box.' and I dont mean a single, or even a couple tests, or a report on how the device felt, but a truly scientific test.
    Upload and download speeds can be tested quite easily. one can navigate to an FTP or use any web based test if need be with all the choices of browsers we have.
    Did you test this Rev A checkbox question before you made this statement?
    GPS[*]Ive experienced several instances where I couldnt get GPS to relock after using the phone/gps... this happens after using google maps, driving to another location, then upon reopening/reinitializing google maps results in the inability to lock satellites until the phone is soft reset, even with data connection
    You and a lot of other people. The GPS is just really buggy.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    Did you test this Rev A checkbox question before you made this statement?
    I have, the only things that affects my internet speed are soft resets, and signal strength.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $check$ $box$ $does$ $nothing$.

So if you need a complete, off the cell-network GPS solution, then I do not suggest getting an 800w at this point.
    Or just keep the 800w and buy an external GPS BT receiver for those instances that you happen to be out of cell range. This is why I plan to keep my BT GPS receiver, which I used on my 700wx.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast