Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    The other thread about this suggests you can't have the screen saver on, and maybe you need to be at the Today screeen for it to work. I haven't tested this, though.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

windows seems to have this flaw with lot's of different usb devices. Sometimes, it's due to default mapping of the drive letters. Like some usb devices will automatically try to connect as a specific drive letter, if you already have something mapped to that drive letter, it won't recognize the device. My IT buddy was also saying that there seems to be a refresh issue with the drivers. Each USB port has it's own address. When you attach a device to a new USB port, it will reinstall the drivers for that port. If I attach my treo800w to a different USB port, it will recognize it again. So I just keep switching which one I attach to. I don't know of a any fixes. But it seems there should be?
    I am a network admin at a school, and I have found this problem with many usb devices. USB is limited in the amount of power it can supply. a quick easy fix is to by a POWERED usb hub. it must be a powered (plug it into the wall) hub or else you are not fixing anything. This has been the fix for many problems i have seen, including my own 800w, and my hp laserjet.

I hope this helps

David
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    The other thread about this suggests you can't have the screen saver on, and maybe you need to be at the Today screeen for it to work. I haven't tested this, though.
    This is the exact resolution that worked for me. I'm running Vista Home Premium, and my computer wouldn't detect the 800w if the screen saver was on. But then if I unplugged the 800w, hit the power button and brought up the today screen, then plugged it back in, my computer would recognize it right away.

Simple fix, at least for me.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    This is the exact resolution that worked for me. I'm running Vista Home Premium, and my computer wouldn't detect the 800w if the screen saver was on. But then if I unplugged the 800w, hit the power button and brought up the today screen, then plugged it back in, my computer would recognize it right away.

Simple fix, at least for me.
    I was having all kinds of problems with activesync disconnecting while plugged in and then not being able to reconnect even with the device active and on the today screen. I finally took it back to the store and exchanged it for another 800. It works without any problem. I did learn something from you in that while connecting the 800 to the computer with the screensaver on will wake up the device and allow it to try to connect, unless i unlock the screen it won't connect and goes back to sleep with the screen saver on. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    I was having all kinds of problems with activesync disconnecting while plugged in and then not being able to reconnect even with the device active and on the today screen. I finally took it back to the store and exchanged it for another 800. It works without any problem. I did learn something from you in that while connecting the 800 to the computer with the screensaver on will wake up the device and allow it to try to connect, unless i unlock the screen it won't connect and goes back to sleep with the screen saver on. Thanks.
    D'oh! I should've realized that as well. I just disabled the automatic key guard yesterday. I was having to unlock the phone prior to connecting it to my computer. Now that I have the key guard disabled, I can connect it to my computer and it will automatically wake up my phone. Excellent!
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem also! This is very very frustating.

I am using XP on my laptop. I have to try harder on my XP then on my home PC which run on Vista.

I plug it in a few times and nothing happen. I have to keep on trying until I get it to work.

I never have this problem on my Mogul. I plug it in even in sleep mode and it wake up and connect.

Is there a Palm forum where we can tell them about our problems?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Is there a Palm forum where we can tell them about our problems?
    Yes, there is. I've found them responsive, but not very knowledgeable and therefore not of much help.
    BTW - I installed a USB update from palm, and haven't had issues since.
    I was having the same problem, but running xp service pack 2, through the active sync software, I chose help, and it said to check which version I was running which update, I forget exactly which version it was, but it said I needed a windows update patch to fix the active sync problem and battery dead charging problem, as soon as I downloaded and installed the patch the active sync automatically detected my 800w and started. Sorry I don't remember exactly how I got the patch other than the help part of my active sync software, but it fixed the problem, hope thats enough hints to help you.
    LSU Tigers #1 Baby
    Having the same problem. PC won't recognize my 800W with a USB connection. I can sync using bluetooth and view the 800s contents. Running windows 7 home prem. The phone is hooked up because it chrages while connected with the USB. It was working but suddenly stopped. I disabled the advance network function and that didn't help. Is there some update needed for Windows 7?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12