Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Seems to be working like a charm for me...

    Posting from it now...

    Not blazing fast at less than 400kbps down but considering I'm only registering two bars on the signal meter on the phone I don't think it's too bad...
    does it matter which reg editor im using?thnx
  2. #42  
    The editor shouldn't matter. Did you wait a couple minutes after deleting and then soft reset?
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by PWC Realtor View Post
    I called Sprint earlier today about this. supposdly they have disabled ICS connections for the 800w (and possibly other devices) for the time being. They are trying to decide how to reintroduce it. The rep I spoke with was very in the know and even hinted that they MAY include some degree of tethering in the SEP plans. They are just tryingot figure out the impact of doing that.
    You called sprint and explained it? WTF
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You called sprint and explained it? WTF
    For the record I did not explain it to them. Basically ICS worked fine on my phone until I had them port my existing cell phone number over my temp number that was on the phone when it was shipped. The rep told me that it was a mistake when they did the provisioning of my temporary number and that they use registry keys to tell them whether or not you are using PAM from a Windows Mobile phone.

    I saw another thread in here just posted where someone had to sign up for the $15 add on to get PAM. Obviously If I was told that PAM for the 800w was on hold while something else added the plan not all reps have the same page.

    As an update, I spoke with a friend of mine this evening who works for Sprint. I asked him about PAM and he said that their real target for PAM abuse are the people on lower-priced/grandfathered plans who are basically using Sprint as their primary ISP/sucking down tons of data. Remember the 800w,Mogul, and other EVDO Rev A PDA/phones can use lots of data on their own without tethering between Sprint Navigation,Sprint TV,PIE, and other data intensive programs.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller View Post


    This isn't going to be very helpful because I don't see it as conclusive... I just got off the phone with the Sprint Rep. I explained to her what my son had so carelessly done (Connecting as a tethered device) and asked if she could tell me exactly what I might expect to see on my bill for the tethered air time. She could not see where the connection had occurred, but added that it might not show up until my billing cycle ends on the 1st. She also added that it's impossible (Ppsshyea right) to connect as a tethered phone modem without the tethered plan code on your account. She said it simply would not let you connect to the data service.

    So, like I said, it's not conclusive. It is what it is. I'll repost to this after I see my bill and check it for any "extra" charges.
    Just curious.. were you billed? is it safe to use this method for internet sharing??

    -M
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    Bummer... I did what was posted above me, but i used PHM Reg edit to delete the file, and it did not work for some reason. I tried connecting and it showed that it was connected in network connections, but after a while it just said "The remote party has ended this connection"
    Try establishing an internet connection through internet explorer before connecting through internet sharing. This has been reported to solve these problems on other forums
    Current: Pre
    SERO plan 500

    Former: 800w, 755p, 700p, 650p
  7. #47  
    Has anyone confirmed that this can be done with no negative billing consequences? I have a data card I rarely use, but pay $40 a month for. I don't need it often, but REALLY need it if I am using it. Sprint won't add PAM to me SEP, and now only has one plan for the data cards $60/mo for 5GB....I'd like to just pay the ETF, kill the data card and use the treo, if this works without get killed on the bill.
  8. #48  
    Interesting. Hard reset my device to build up from scratch with programs/edits I want to keep and simply deleting the "IcsHelper.dll" string *DID NOT* work. I get disconnected from remote server.

    EDIT:
    Adding the step of changing:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\InternetSharing\LastCellConnection
    If it displays "Power Vision" change it to "Sprint PCS"
    Got this working again
    Last edited by dslunceford; 08/07/2008 at 02:59 PM.
    --Steve

    Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

    My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
  9. #49  
    Well, this is going to be nice... Check this out from Phonenew's.com...http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-drop...ng-to-15-4012/

    Sprint Drops Phone as Modem Pricing to $15

    Sources in Sprint are reporting that current plan holders are in for a discount. Sprint has dropped the price of Phone As Modem add-ons on new plans, to $15, down from the previous $40 per month.

    This appears to only take effect on current offerings; Sprintís Simply Everything, Sprint Everything, and Everything Plus plans. The price drop appears to be part of an effort to lure customers over from older, grandfathered plans. Sprintís plans of today typically cost more, but by discounting PAM, it can make up for the difference.

    In addition, this will finally enable the Samsung Instinct to support Phone As Modem tethering officially. Sprintís current plans have lacked a Phone As Modem add-on code until this week, and Instinct must be hacked to use Phone as Modem without a Phone as Modem plan.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Well, this is going to be nice... Check this out from Phonenew's.com...http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-drop...ng-to-15-4012/

    Sprint Drops Phone as Modem Pricing to $15

    Sources in Sprint are reporting that current plan holders are in for a discount. Sprint has dropped the price of Phone As Modem add-ons on new plans, to $15, down from the previous $40 per month.

    This appears to only take effect on current offerings; Sprintís Simply Everything, Sprint Everything, and Everything Plus plans. The price drop appears to be part of an effort to lure customers over from older, grandfathered plans. Sprintís plans of today typically cost more, but by discounting PAM, it can make up for the difference.

    In addition, this will finally enable the Samsung Instinct to support Phone As Modem tethering officially. Sprintís current plans have lacked a Phone As Modem add-on code until this week, and Instinct must be hacked to use Phone as Modem without a Phone as Modem plan.
    Great find
  11. #51  
    Thanks for the tips guys, gonna see if get some luck with this.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
    -Sri Chinmoy Ghose
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Well, this is going to be nice... Check this out from Phonenew's.com...http://www.phonenews.com/sprint-drop...ng-to-15-4012/

    Sprint Drops Phone as Modem Pricing to $15

    Sources in Sprint are reporting that current plan holders are in for a discount. Sprint has dropped the price of Phone As Modem add-ons on new plans, to $15, down from the previous $40 per month.

    This appears to only take effect on current offerings; Sprintís Simply Everything, Sprint Everything, and Everything Plus plans. The price drop appears to be part of an effort to lure customers over from older, grandfathered plans. Sprintís plans of today typically cost more, but by discounting PAM, it can make up for the difference.

    In addition, this will finally enable the Samsung Instinct to support Phone As Modem tethering officially. Sprintís current plans have lacked a Phone As Modem add-on code until this week, and Instinct must be hacked to use Phone as Modem without a Phone as Modem plan.
    Ha - they just told me today that with the SEP, I absolutely cannot get the PAM...just checked and it isn't available yet, but it'll be nice, then I can ditch the data card and $40/mo bill....
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    Ha - they just told me today that with the SEP, I absolutely cannot get the PAM...just checked and it isn't available yet, but it'll be nice, then I can ditch the data card and $40/mo bill....
    Thats what they told me too the other day as well. I'll be calling back soon..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  14. #54  
    newbie here... how do you get to the registry on WM6? I guess it's not command like regedit or do I need a 3rd party
    Registry Editors

    * Resco Explorer (Download) with Registry Add-On (Download) - Discussion
    * PHM Registry (Download)
    * Total Commander (Download) (Smartphone Download)
    * SK Tools (WM5/WM6 QVGA Download) - Discussion
    * Pocket Mechanic Professional (Download)
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    So this is confirmed on multiple devices and no billing repercussions have occurred?
    I was gonna ask about potential additional charges...
    worried about that... good, i read this post...

    ===========
    on Sero plan without any PAM service...

    thanks...
  16. #56  
    I don't know about you, but my values say "power vision" not "phone as a modem"
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by karate134 View Post
    I don't know about you, but my values say "power vision" not "phone as a modem"
    +1 Same here

    All I did was change
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing] "Extension" to "Extension2"

    For those worrying about charges, I can tell you that I have been doing this for over 2 years now with my 700p and now with my 800w. Sprint has no way of knowing. Data is data to them.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    +1 Same here

    All I did was change
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing] "Extension" to "Extension2"

    For those worrying about charges, I can tell you that I have been doing this for over 2 years now with my 700p and now with my 800w. Sprint has no way of knowing. Data is data to them.
    Is that all you did was change merely that line? Is there anything else that can be done to ensure that no charges will apply?
  19. #59  
    May seem like a funny question, but after the registry key is changed, do you then open up the regular internet sharing app or is there something else to open so you're not charged?
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaffeyBoy View Post
    May seem like a funny question, but after the registry key is changed, do you then open up the regular internet sharing app or is there something else to open so you're not charged?
    make sure your connection is established first on your phone, then go ahead and click internet sharing and connect usb.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions