Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a truck driver and I talk on the phone all day, I do long distance driving. Is there a Car Charger for the 800w as of yet? I search through the forum and I didn't see any results. Thanks
    There is. I had heard about the low capacity of the 800W's battery and bought 2 car chargers. One for my work truck and one for my personal truck. They have a nice glowing ring around the plug to let you know it's got power.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy215 View Post
    I'm a truck driver and I talk on the phone all day, I do long distance driving. Is there a Car Charger for the 800w as of yet? I search through the forum and I didn't see any results. Thanks

The Motorola Razr2 charger will work; same micro-USB connector.

Or get a mini- to micro-USB adapter for other chargers. Such adapter with a Motorola V3 charger works for me.
    i got a micro usb car charger at Walmart... it let me try it out to see if it fit in my phone

only $10 too... gotta love walmart
    I got a car charger and leather case for $10. That's just unbeatable.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    The Motorola Razr2 charger will work; same micro-USB connector.

Or get a mini- to micro-USB adapter for other chargers. Such adapter with a Motorola V3 charger works for me.
    Is it the same power specs as the wall charger? 5volts @ 1 amp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I got a car charger and leather case for $10. That's just unbeatable.
    There are quite a few 12v (cigarette lighter socket) USB adapters at Meritline. Meritline specifically notes the mah rating of the adapter. It also states on adapters (less than 1500Mah) not to work with the Razr. So I suspect that the 800w probably has the same kind of requirements. I ordered a double USB adapter rated at 1500mah and I'll see it it'll charge the 800w when it arrives....just need a mini-to-micro USB adapter (unless there's a USB-to-micro cable in the box). The adapter and 800w arrive at my doorstep on the 21st.
    Actually, bummed that its not just a miniUSB since all the other PDA's on Sprint use it. I have 3 of those and 3 USB cords. With the 800 I have to buy all new stuff. Well not the USB cord.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Go to Walmart. They have a generic charger for 10$. Works well and charges well and fast. Bought two for car and truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Actually, bummed that its not just a miniUSB since all the other PDA's on Sprint use it. I have 3 of those and 3 USB cords. With the 800 I have to buy all new stuff. Well not the USB cord.
    Yeah it's unfortunate but I am glad they're standardizing on something. From my understanding, quite a few phone manufacturer got together and decided to standardize on MicroUSB as the common charging / syncing port. Hopefully this means quite a few items will be coming out within the next year that support MicroUSB.
    Sprint store tried to sell me one for $32. I said I would shop around. Good to hear about the $10 Walmart charger.
    What brand is the Wal Mart charger? Coiled cord or straight?

Todd/Indy
    Durabrand. And Kmart has one with a swivel neck for $10 too. It is for motorola and has about 4-5 connectors included. Haven't opened it to see if it works
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    Is it the same power specs as the wall charger? 5volts @ 1 amp
    If it's a USB charger, then it SHOULD work unless it's propriatary.

USB specs state 5v always, regardless of the device. The amp rating doesn't matter as the device will pull the number of amp's it needs.

So any micro usb charger will work...again, unless it's propriatary.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

USB specs state 5v always, regardless of the device. The amp rating doesn't matter as the device will pull the number of amp's it needs.

Actually, amp's do matter - my Titan/Mogul and Touch/Vogue would quite happily use car chargers that my Moto V3, Razr2 and 800w (last 2 with mini to micro adapter) don't like, and won't charge with. The latter devices appear to require more power (amps, not volts) to charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

Now that's a flawed statement. I have a USB stub rated at .5 amps and it barely sustains the charge, while the wall charger at 1 amp, charges. I'm sorry to say that Amps make the difference.

It can't "pull the amps it needs" when the charger is only letting out so much. Think of a hose with the faucet partially open...
    I just picked up the one from Walmart and it seems to work just fine with the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    Actually, amp's do matter - my Titan/Mogul and Touch/Vogue would quite happily use car chargers that my Moto V3, Razr2 and 800w (last 2 with mini to micro adapter) don't like, and won't charge with. The latter devices appear to require more power (amps, not volts) to charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    Now that's a flawed statement. I have a USB stub rated at .5 amps and it barely sustains the charge, while the wall charger at 1 amp, charges. I'm sorry to say that Amps make the difference.

It can't "pull the amps it needs" when the charger is only letting out so much. Think of a hose with the faucet partially open...
    Amps can be limited by many factors, including the type of cabling that's used, size, length, temperature, etc.

The power supply (whether it be a car battery, wall wart, adapter, etc) can be setup to limit the number of amp's being pulled through the system, so you can have a top end to the # of amps "allowed".

The most classic example is a fuse/breaker box. On each circuit/line, you have a set number of amp's allowed before it trips or blows.

As an example, was cutting some steel this weekend with a friends plasma cutter. With the cutter dialed up to 30 amps (on a 20 amp circuit), he would trip the breaker after about a minute or two of cutting. A perfect example of how temperature effects amps.

Swapped the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp, and no more problems. (We could have also dialed the plasma cutter back down to 20 amps, but where's the fun in that? )

Now whether the amps supplied are sufficient for the devices needs, that's an entirely different story.

With wifi+radio+bluetooth+gps on, the device will consume more than 1 amp of power. So if you're using the device heavily, no matter what power supply you have you will use the battery faster than it can recharge.

On the other hand, if you had a solar panal that provided .1 amp at 5 volts, you could successfully use it to charge your phone. You'd just need to have everything off, and not be using it. (And it'd take a long time.)

So for charging purposes, amp's supplied doesn't matter.

Clear as mud?
    I'll try this again. My .5 amp stub will not charge the phone with it the phone on. By your own statement, the device with everything on, will not charge from the wall charger. Now dial it down to just having the phone on while driving; my .5 amp charger won't charge.

Your .1 amp scenario may charge the phone, but it would take having the phone powered down, and over probably 2 days. Not practical.

I need it to be able to charge the phone while driving with the phone on. The .5 amp stub doesn't do the job, so obvisouly the phone is drawing more than 500 MAH or .5 amps. I believe we need a 1 amp car charger.

Amps matter.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Be careful. There is a whole thread on mobile.treocentral on charging the phone with any USB interface.

For instance, I have a 12V adapter that has a USB A slot on the back. I can plug in any USB A to say micro B connector, and it will connect to any device with a micro b, like the treo.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96515

However, USB spec states 500ma as the max needed to be output by a computer USB interface.

Certain USB devices need more than 500 ma. Like an external 3.5 HDD. So they either have their own power cords, or you need a powered hub. Connecting them directly to the computer won't drive them.

The same is true with the Treo. At 500 ma, you just aren't putting enough juice (amps) in quickly enough. I don't have a treo yet to try, but maybe you can charge from your computer overnite if you turn the phone off, or have everything in standby. But to charge quickly, you need more than 500ma.

So look at the output Amp rating, all USB outputs 5V.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast