Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Be careful. There is a whole thread on mobile.treocentral on charging the phone with any USB interface.

For instance, I have a 12V adapter that has a USB A slot on the back. I can plug in any USB A to say micro B connector, and it will connect to any device with a micro b, like the treo.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96515

However, USB spec states 500ma as the max needed to be output by a computer USB interface.

Certain USB devices need more than 500 ma. Like an external 3.5 HDD. So they either have their own power cords, or you need a powered hub. Connecting them directly to the computer won't drive them.

The same is true with the Treo. At 500 ma, you just aren't putting enough juice (amps) in quickly enough. I don't have a treo yet to try, but maybe you can charge from your computer overnite if you turn the phone off, or have everything in standby. But to charge quickly, you need more than 500ma.

So look at the output Amp rating, all USB outputs 5V.
    I charged my new 800 today off of my pc, while playing with the phone and it took all of about 4 hours.
    If I might suggest what you want is usb a in your car and some USB A (standard) to micro b cables.

Most small portable devices now a days are using 5v.
    You get this in your car by getting a simple 12/24v cigarette lighter outlet to 5v usb adapters at 1 to 1.2 amps (1000 to 1200 mA)

You can find single ones for $5. Just do yourself a favor and get ne you are certian is rated one amp.
    This is nice, from a good vendor, and 2 amps w/ two usb female:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...p?keyword=3855

I like the magnadyne which is fused, can be hard wired and nicely mounted and has two VPA and two USB at 2 amps
    http://cesupply.com/index.asp?PageAc...PROD&ProdID=26

For faster computer (or if like me when without your laptop you just carry a small powered uSB Hub to charge your various devices) changing, you can simply connect two USB A males in parallel to micro b. you will be able to pull one amp off of any usb source with two free outlets and charge much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyHemi View Post
    I charged my new 800 today off of my pc, while playing with the phone and it took all of about 4 hours.
    Perhaps you already had a good charge underreported by the battery symbol and battery indicator (the battery indicator on the 800w is very inaccurate an can jump around).

If you are using the handset it will take about five times longer on pc usb (500 ma) and if you are not using the handset at all it will take two to 2.5 times longer.
    Like its been said before and above already:
    Walmart durabrand car charger works well without any problems on the 800W.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Perhaps you already had a good charge underreported by the battery symbol and battery indicator (the battery indicator on the 800w is very inaccurate an can jump around).

If you are using the handset it will take about five times longer on pc usb (500 ma) and if you are not using the handset at all it will take two to 2.5 times longer.
    Very valid point. I was just reporting the charge time off of my usb on an out of the box phone.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Aero,

This is exactly what you need to be careful of:

Your first link http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...p?keyword=3855 has the following specs:

Input Voltage: 12V ~ 24V, 2A, 24W ~ 48W
    USB Output Voltage: 5V, 500mA, 2.5W.
    1394a FireWire Output Voltage: 12V, 500mA, 6W.

The input amps are 2, but what we care about are the output amps, which for the USB part are only at 500ma. OK, but no more than the output of a computer, and not really great for the treo. It will probably put some enough juice in to replace while on a phone call, but as someone mentioned above, using the phone, BT, and GPS is probably drawing 1A, so its better than nothing, but for an extended drive, you will still drain the phone.

The link is a pretty cool device, as it has both usb and firewire ports, but don't think this is the one to get.

The best output amp 12 V adapter with USB A connector I have seen so far is only at .8A from cables to go. If anyone has seen one better, pls let me know. Having something that has just A connector allows you to charge any USB device as long as you have the correct cable on the B side.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It depends on the PC USB port. Some are powered, some are not.

Unpowered ports (which are really powered, makes sense, yes?) will only provide 500 mA as you said (as per USB specs). Powered ports can provide more.

And as jbinbi has pointed out, be careful of the spec game some companies play. You will see some companies that will claim they support 1 amp, but it turns out that's the total over 4 ports (so really 250 mA per port, if you have 4 devices plugged in). They will also try and confuse you with input VS output specs.

I haven't had any problems charging with 500 mA. But I keep everything off except the radio (except when I need it), and I charge often. Different needs for different folks.
  8.    #28  
    Wow, thanks alot for the reply's guys! Its alot of great reads about amp puttage on chargers. Since many car chargers that support the 800w is .5 amp output, what will be the best Car Charger to buy? I'm guessing the Motorola car charger will not hold enough charge when the phone is in use? Thanks
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Go to Walmart. They have a generic charger for 10$. Works well and charges well and fast. Bought two for car and truck.
    What brand Generic Charger do you use? I want a Car Charger that will maintain the battery power while in the phone in use. I'm trying to find a Micro-USB that have 1amp output atleast
    They have a brand called Durabrand. Look for one with the micro USB. Actually they all have an opening in the package that you can try the USB connector on your phone right there without actually opening the package.
    Mine works rather well so far.
    Couple more Q's about the Durabrand from Wal-Mart...

Is it a straight or coiled cord?

What is the rated output power?

TIA,
    Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It depends on the PC USB port. Some are powered, some are not.

Unpowered ports (which are really powered, makes sense, yes?) will only provide 500 mA as you said (as per USB specs). Powered ports can provide more.

And as jbinbi has pointed out, be careful of the spec game some companies play. You will see some companies that will claim they support 1 amp, but it turns out that's the total over 4 ports (so really 250 mA per port, if you have 4 devices plugged in). They will also try and confuse you with input VS output specs.

I haven't had any problems charging with 500 mA. But I keep everything off except the radio (except when I need it), and I charge often. Different needs for different folks.
    unpowered does not referred to ports on a pc. by spec they are all 500 ma (each). Unpowered hubs (which you connect via a usb) can and will loss some of the 500 and then divide the rest.

Powered USB -- at spec -- is supposed to be limited to 500 as well.

This is why devices that will pull more than half an amp over usb must be aware if they are on pc usb or a charger. they can burn the pc's 5volt rail. this is done by non standard wiring of the usb head and/or drivers.

On the monoprice I posted, yes I was sloppy. I use the magnadyne which will send over 2 amps over usb. I have tested this with load with two 1200 ma devices at full draw.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I saw the Dura brand charger for Motorola, but its output is 5 v and .65 amp?

That is not even enough to charge a 800w if you got GPS running or other application running.

I think it might actually keep the phone from draining only.

Is that true with yours?
    Last edited by chong67; 08/23/2008 at 12:48 PM.
    I bought the Motorola Charger at Sams Club for $7.00, The same Charger at Best Buy was $26.00. It seems to work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gade500 View Post
    I bought the Motorola Charger at Sams Club for $7.00, The same Charger at Best Buy was $26.00. It seems to work for me.
    I got mine from seidio online when I bought my Innocase. 12.95. Works great.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I use the Durabrand $10.00 charger from Walmart daily, it charges my 800w when using the GPS, even on long drives. I want from Manchester, NH. to Amherst, Ma. last weekend and had a full charge on arrival.
    Can anyone else cofirm that this does charge while using the GPS cause I know the one I have doesn't. Works gr8 if the gps isn't on but once you use the gps for directions it drains dfaster than it can charge. If this one doesn't work does anyone know of one that will work? t/y
    Quote Originally Posted by kaw900r View Post
    Can anyone else cofirm that this does charge while using the GPS cause I know the one I have doesn't. Works gr8 if the gps isn't on but once you use the gps for directions it drains dfaster than it can charge. If this one doesn't work does anyone know of one that will work? t/y
    Mine charges fine while using GPS. However, using something like Google Maps or Live Search that requires a constant data connection as well as GPS starts to drain my battery.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    So it sounds like you are telling me if I use my Sprint Navigation it is still going to drain my battery. So has anyone heard of one that will run navigation and be able to charge your battery also? How about the one from Sprint if it will charge I would pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaw900r View Post
    So it sounds like you are telling me if I use my Sprint Navigation it is still going to drain my battery. So has anyone heard of one that will run navigation and be able to charge your battery also? How about the one from Sprint if it will charge I would pay for it.
    My Dura brand from Walmart charges while simultaneously using Sprint Nav & streaming audio. I highly recommend it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast