1.    #1  
    Are there any programs out there that can keep the keyboard lights off during the day?
    This is one thing i'd like when I get mine, cause unless I am in the dark, my lights on my 700p are ALWAYS off. I used KB lights off, but for WM I have no idea. I'd like to know this as well if there is a way to disable and enable it. I do mine by the side button. I hold it and the lights go on. Hold it in and the lights go off. Hopefully there is something we can use.
    I've been able to turn off the keyboard lights with a reg change and unloading and loading the backlight driver. Just need to write a proggy. Shouldn't take too long.
    I do not know if this will work on the 800w, but this is what I use on my 700wx.

I have 2 mortscript files one to turn the lights on and the other to turn them off. I am using Tweekster to schedule the lights on or off.

_________ Key lights off

# CallScript( ParamInit )

RegWriteDWord( "HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\On", "kyl0:", 4 )
    ToggleDisplay( ON )

______ end key lights off

______ Key lights on

RegWriteDWord( "HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\On", "kyl0:", 0 )
    ToggleDisplay( ON )

______ end keylights on
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I've been able to turn off the keyboard lights with a reg change and unloading and loading the backlight driver. Just need to write a proggy. Shouldn't take too long.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'd really like to know how the lights affect the battery. I guess one could test it on a Palm OS with PowerHero from Hobbyist, cause you get battery info with that.

I know it wouldn't be the same cause of a totally different device, but one could at least get an idea if the light affect the battery at all. Even a few percent is kind of big. I just like not having them on. I think it is a waste during the day. I see people with the Treo 700 using it, and it's all lit up like Christmas, and I laugh cause mine has been the opposite since day one. I just think it's annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by Painter_ View Post
    I do not know if this will work on the 800w, but this is what I use on my 700wx.

I have 2 mortscript files one to turn the lights on and the other to turn them off. I am using Tweekster to schedule the lights on or off.

_________ Key lights off

RegWriteDWord( "HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\On", "kyl0:", 4 )
    ToggleDisplay( ON )

______ end key lights off

______ Key lights on

RegWriteDWord( "HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\On", "kyl0:", 0 )
    ToggleDisplay( ON )

______ end keylights on
    I used Keylight on Treo 700wx, which worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the 800w. The mortscript maybe using the same registries as keylight, so it may not work, but it's worth a try. If it does work, I may change it to use just 1 script. Basically, it will read the registry. If the light is on, turn it off, if the light is off, turn it on. I assigned keylight to my ok (hold) on my 700wx before, so I could just press and hold if I needed to turn my light off or on.
    I choose to use the 2 files because I am also turning on repeating notifications for SMS at night.

My network monitor at work uses SMS to send out problem notifications and I do not want to sleep through them.
    I just tried changing the keys manually and it has no effect on the keyboard lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I just tried changing the keys manually and it has no effect on the keyboard lights.
    Yeah, the driver needs to be told to reread the settings.
    Yeah, the driver needs to be told to reread the settings.
    I figured the registry had to be reread as well, but I did perform a software reset and the lights were still on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I figured the registry had to be reread as well, but I did perform a software reset and the lights were still on though.
    hmm, they stayed off for me on reboot. Anyways the proggy is done. Get it here.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167844
    hmm, they stayed off for me on reboot. Anyways the proggy is done. Get it here.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=167844
    Weird. Anyways, I saw your other post. Great Job!!!