1.    #1  
    I have posted some results on this before but for those of you who complain about battery life, I might suggest you at the very least disable the screen saver - according to my tests, it is not helping your battery life by any means.

Anyway, here are my findings so far.

Method:

To measure the impact the screen saver has on battery life, I reboot the phone, ensure with task manager that all applications are halted. WiFi and bluetooth are disabled. Oddly, the phone service itself seems to need to be enabled or the screensaver doesn't show up. Beyond that, during all testing no strange applications launched, no e-mail came in, no text messages, etc. The phone was about as idle as it gets.

Once fully idle, at the beginning of a new minute, the mAH level was checked and recorded quickly as displayed by the Power control panel, then the phone was shut off. Twenty minutes were allowed to pass. The phone was then quickly turned back on and the mAH level checked once again.

Four trials were run in opposite order to rule out ordering effects. So, "with screen saver on", "with screen saver off", "with screen saver off", "with screen saver on" in that order.

Trial 1:
    Screen saver enabled: .31 mAH / minute
    Trial 2:
    Screen saver disabled: .19 mAH / minute
    Trial 3:
    Screen saver disabled: .18 mAH / minute
    Trial 4:
    Screen saver enabled: .32 mAH / minute

These four trials produced the exact same ratio as found in my first two trials a few days ago which were:

Trial A:
    Screen saver enabled: .52 mAH / minute
    Trial B:
    Screen saver disabled: .31 mAH / minute

Which are higher usage overall (I believe bluetooth was turned on for that trial), but remarkably, the exact same ratio of enabled/disabled power use. This suggests am almost irrefutable strong positive correlation.

In all cases, the baseline battery usage was increased by a whopping 40% with the screen saver enabled. This extrapolates to a 12 hour functional charge being reduced to 7.2 hours if you insist on running the screen saver.

So, given these three pretty carefully executed trials, you all can do whatever you want but I'll be shutting my screen saver off. I don't need to trade 4 hours of use for a stupid clock.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco Jackson View Post
    So, given these three pretty carefully executed trials, you all can do whatever you want but I'll be shutting my screen saver off. I don't need to trade 4 hours of use for a stupid clock.
    Not that this is an excellent job you have done here...

...But what if we do use our cell phones for our clocks (as I'm sure many do)? If we had to unlock the phone, causing the backlight to light up, and then lock the phone, how much more (or less) power will that consume?

Again, compliments on the job you've done.

Edit: BTW I'm not asking you to run the additional test, I just wanted to bring up a point I think is important.
    I enabled the screesaver yesterday before it came off the charger. I got about 14 hours before it needed a charge. Heavy internet usage. Maybe three calls. Today I will disabled the screensaver. It will be a similar day as yesterday. That is how Im testing it.

The post above is correct. I am constantly checking the time. Turning the device on and off may take up more juice.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco Jackson View Post
    I have posted some results on this before but for those of you who complain about battery life, I might suggest you at the very least disable the screen saver - according to my tests, it is not helping your battery life by any means.

Anyway, here are my findings so far.

Method:

To measure the impact the screen saver has on battery life, I reboot the phone, ensure with task manager that all applications are halted. WiFi and bluetooth are disabled. Oddly, the phone service itself seems to need to be enabled or the screensaver doesn't show up. Beyond that, during all testing no strange applications launched, no e-mail came in, no text messages, etc. The phone was about as idle as it gets.

Once fully idle, at the beginning of a new minute, the mAH level was checked and recorded quickly as displayed by the Power control panel, then the phone was shut off. Twenty minutes were allowed to pass. The phone was then quickly turned back on and the mAH level checked once again.

Four trials were run in opposite order to rule out ordering effects. So, "with screen saver on", "with screen saver off", "with screen saver off", "with screen saver on" in that order.

Trial 1:
    Screen saver enabled: .31 mAH / minute
    Trial 2:
    Screen saver disabled: .19 mAH / minute
    Trial 3:
    Screen saver disabled: .18 mAH / minute
    Trial 4:
    Screen saver enabled: .32 mAH / minute

These four trials produced the exact same ratio as found in my first two trials a few days ago which were:

Trial A:
    Screen saver enabled: .52 mAH / minute
    Trial B:
    Screen saver disabled: .31 mAH / minute

Which are higher usage overall (I believe bluetooth was turned on for that trial), but remarkably, the exact same ratio of enabled/disabled power use. This suggests am almost irrefutable strong positive correlation.

In all cases, the baseline battery usage was increased by a whopping 40% with the screen saver enabled. This extrapolates to a 12 hour functional charge being reduced to 7.2 hours if you insist on running the screen saver.

Taco, very well done and a good base analysis for a comparison. Although I know people will be disappointed that it takes 40% more power at idle than it would otherwise (I was hoping for around 5%), it is good to know the true tradeoff between the two settings.

That said, is there any way you can run a longer test? Perhaps run for 60 minutes with each mode and measure the battery charge?
    hey guys
    friday i had the screen saver on and i took my phone off the charger at 1:00 pm and by 10:30pm my phone had 6percent left. and that was pretty much just normal use...internet...cell phone...gps...ect. Saturday i removed the screen saver and i took the phone off the charger around 9:45am and by 10:00pm i had 50percent of batter left and that was normal use as the same on friday. So turning off the screen saver made a HUGE difference. So im quite happy with the battery life at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    hey guys
    friday i had the screen saver on and i took my phone off the charger at 1:00 pm and by 10:30pm my phone had 6percent left. and that was pretty much just normal use...internet...cell phone...gps...ect. Saturday i removed the screen saver and i took the phone off the charger around 9:45am and by 10:00pm i had 50percent of batter left and that was normal use as the same on friday. So turning off the screen saver made a HUGE difference. So im quite happy with the battery life at this point
    That is a huge difference...

Be interested to see what VibrantRedGT posts...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    It also depends when he got his Treo. With battery conditioning the Treo battery has become much better. You can't really compare apples to apples unless we know that all of them have fully conditioned batteries.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I had an interesting battery experience on Saturday. I was helping to build a house for habitat for humanity, so I got up fairly early (6am), and took my 800w off the charger, but decided to leave it home so I wouldn't get it screwed up. I didn't even pick the phone up again until about 10pm, and it had only gone down maybe 12%. I don't remember the exact number, but the battery meter was not very far down at all. Screen saver was on the entire time, but the phone wasn't used at all, BT was off, no apps running in the background. Though this wasn't an accurately logged test, the fact that my phone went 16 hours and was only down < 15% seems to dispute the earlier test.

But then the day before it was completely dead by 6pm with an average amount of use (playing with it a bit, maybe 1.5 hours of talking). I have been noticing the "not going to sleep" bug quite a bit, so I'm rebuilding the phone today and being careful about what I install.