1.    #1  
    Just saw this on Amazon and I'm curious; will this work with the 800w? Does anyone already have this adapter that can test it? I would prefer something smaller but this appears to be all that is available for such a thing.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Unfortunately this won't work. I bought this item thinking it would be perfect to use my 3.5mm Bose headset but after getting it earlier today, found that it doesn't work. Bummer. Don't think we have a good 3.5mm headset plug solution yet....
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Yup, i tried the 2.5mm version and that doesn't work either. The phone doesn't even reconize that there's a headset adapter plugged in.
  4.    #4  
    That sucks. They have SprintTV on this thing and didn't think someone would want to plug-in headphones?

Well hopefully someone, maybe Seidio, can make a workable adapter.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    yea, i think that's why they provided their own headphones. But it would be neat to put a 3.5mm jack (all other high end devices are starting to use it; blackberry, i-phone, instinct). Maybe next time Palm?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I too have tried these and other adapters, including the Motorola mini USB to micro USB (it only provides power). You would think Palm would have thought of havign some of these accessories ready considering how late the 800 was and the fact that the Treo line has ALWAYS had a regular audio plug.

Anyway, I have cut my Palm supplied ear buds off and am working on making my own 3.5mm cable. I plan to goto Radio Shack today and get the 3.5mm female plug. I suspect it wont take that long to make. I have spent about 20 minutes so far and can play music from the 800 to a direct wired speaker (like the kind on your stereo). Once I put the $4 adapter on it (prolly another 20-30 minutes), I will be all set. I have already purchased the Palm splitter: MicroUSB to MicroUSB (audio) and MicroUSB Power (they lied about it being in stock, so I don't have it yet). All said, for $20 and 60 minutes I think I can make it all work: charge and audio (or just one or the other).

Also I cracked open the Palm Audio connector (the one in the middle of of the microUSB earbud adapter) and I don't think it wires power out of the Treo. The guys over at Howardforums made good progress on hacking up the one for the Motorola. You can see it here (The Palm one looks similar):

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...2&postcount=38

Mine wont be quite as pretty cause I just cut the wires off to avoid soldering the PCB -- but it won't look too bad (will hopefully solder the new connector -- or use shrink tubing) and I can use the Palm mic.
  7.    #7  
    Just remember that the 3.5mm plug needs to support the 3 bands for it to be in stereo with most cellphones (this is how my Mogul worked). Radio Shack didn't sell the appropriate plugs I needed (or, at least the local ones did not) so you may only get mono.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Just remember that the 3.5mm plug needs to support the 3 bands for it to be in stereo with most cellphones (this is how my Mogul worked). Radio Shack didn't sell the appropriate plugs I needed (or, at least the local ones did not) so you may only get mono.
    The three rings include the microphone connection that is a part of cellphones' 2.5mm female plug (which must supply L,R,Mic,ground -- requiring 4 bands/3 rings on the plug). When you try to plug a 2 ring plug into a 3 ring connector the bands on the male side don't line up right with the female bands, so you get mono or one channel on both L and R. That's why you can kinda sorta get stereo sometimes by pulling the 2 ring plug a quarter or little of the way out. In three ring headphone plugs (without a microphone) the 4th mic band is not used.

With the approach I am using, I simply snipped the earbud's left and right audio channels (with their associated ground wires) and then will be wiring this to the four terminals in a regular 1/8" female stereo plug (the kind that fits regular walkman/mp3 headphones). The mic remains in the Palm PCB switch (the square block where the wires split on the Palm earbud cable), which connects the l/r audio and mic from the microUSB pins on one side and stereo L and R out the other side, so there is no need for 3 ring plugs.

This hack works (still a hack -- bring on the real cables/adapters) as I have already tested with stereo speakers, I'll post pictures when I finish -- just got back from radio shack and will be working on it later tonight.
    Last edited by insol; 07/20/2008 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    4 bands/3 rings on the plug
    The "rings" are not the insulators as implied. Rings on TRS are conductors. So i tis a four pin, four pole or four conductor plug with conductors comprising tip, ring one, ring two and sleeve. The R in TRS stand for ring. Also ring two is speaker and answer button on 2.5mm (old term 1/8) headset standard.

Other than that you're post is very helpful
    Last edited by aero; 07/23/2008 at 05:47 PM.