1.    #1  
    <rant> i have had smartphones for over 10 years - i think i had the first smartphone that sprint offered. i can't remember what it was but i do remember that it was so big that someone said to me once "OMG - is that your cordless phone from home??!!".

i've always used sprints protection program and have never minded paying the monthly charge. i've used the insurance part of it a bunch of times for broken phones and i've also gotten messed up phones exchanged in store with no problem.

in the last few years they have gotten really stingy about replacing phones (IMO). i've gone in a number of times for problems i have been having (numerous dropped calls, no signals, freezing screens, ect) and i have not been able to get them to replace my phone. it really makes me mad. each time they tell me that it's software related and/or that they weren't able to replicate my issue. i know alot about software and i'm careful about what i put on my phone - it is NOT the software!! it seems like that is just an easy thing for them to say so that they don't have to replace the phone. these phones are made to be used with third party apps. do they really expect us to just use the phones as they come from the factory?

the other day i was talking to a rep on the phone about my handset problems and she told me it was probably because of virus' on the internet that i might have encountered when browsing online. riiiight. </rant>
    Last edited by rustyosaurus; 07/19/2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: changed title
    I for one think Sprints protection insurance is fantastic. I have had about 5 replacements in the last 4 years and only 1 was a refurb. If I had to buy each device again at full retail it would have been around $1500. Id be happy some carriers don't even offer it on some devices. Hell ATT had zero protection on the iphone. Only the manufacture warranty was valid. If it broke by your hands then its your wallet. Not sure if they changed this. I would be happy about Sprints TEP. I am.
  3.    #3  
    okay you're right - TEP is a good program and it has saved me many times. i'm just annoyed that they won't help me when i'm having issues with my phone.
    Totally understandable. Sucks when you dish out for a new device, have an issue and cannot get it resolved. I'm sure they will make good.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I wonder, though, if Sprint get's "stingy" with people who they deem as excessive users of insurance? With car insurance, your rates tend to go up if you have lots of accidents, even if those accidents are deemed as your fault. Simply the fact you are having them means that something about you (perhaps just where/when you drive) is causing increased financial risk for the insurance company, so they need to adjust for that. Phone insurance doesn't do this, it's a standard amount for everyone, so I wonder if they adjust by being particularly tight with people who return/replace lots of phones?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

6.    #6  
    i've had the same 700 for the past two years (no swaps) and not a single insurance claim in that time (wait, maybe i have had one). despite numerous problems, i've never been able to get them to validate my issues.
    a) there are a lot of 3rd party apps, bad app installs or other user caused problems that can screw with handset. 99% of PC slowdowns and problems are form apps not hardwar or OS.

This may sound harsh but the fact is it it unfair to other customers and raises everones cost to have sprint try and diagnose these problems. Gateway, HP, Compaq etc will have you return the system to clean install delivered state. Nowhere did you mention clearing all aps and data and hard resetting the device.

You say:e "these phones are made to be used with third party apps. do they really expect us to just use the phones as they come from the factory?" Without acknowledging what we all know which is that there are lots of third party apps that cause problems.

So the answer is they don't expect you to just use them as they come from the factory, but you cant expect support from the maker or vendor for those apps any more than you can expect gateway or HP to fix problems cause by software they did not install and test.

b) Sprint doesn't do the insurance anyway -- it is serviced by another company.
    TEP is the best and most affordable coverage I have ever had to use in comparison to auto and car insurance.
    Tep
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    TEP has worked great in my case but either way this thread is in the wrong forum since it is not directly related to the 800w.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    TEP is the best and most affordable coverage I have ever had to use in comparison to auto and car insurance.
    I'm going to have to agree here. I've got one heck of a story to share from today. So, I've had the 700wx for almost 2 years now. My 2 year contract ends the first week in September. Well, today I get up and the touchscreen on my 700 isn't working. So, I head over to my Sprint store to get them to look at it. Got there, dropped the phone off cause they said it would be an hour. I left, ran some errands and drove back over to the store. Apparently there was a tear in the ribbon cable that connected the touch screen to the motherboard. They had no way to fix it and no 700wx's in stock. So, the guy told me that they were going to have to order one and it would be there in a couple of days. I didn't get upset, yell, or anything of the sort. On his very own, he says he'll talk to the manger and see what he can do. 15 minutes goes by and he comes out with a new 800. It was suppose to be the new phone for the manager of the store, but, they were going to do an EVEN equipment exchange because I've been a good customer for over 10 years! So now, I'm the proud owner of a brand new 800 and only have a month left on the contract!!!! At that time, I can switch over to the Touch Diamond(which I really like from what I've seen so far) and can sell this phone outright. Sprint went above and beyond what they had to do today. I'd say I've more than got my money's worth in what I've paid into my TEP the last couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by b3tt3r View Post
    I don't know what you mean by affordable.

Auto insurance protects you from your home being taken. It protects against catastrophic loss

Handset insurance wokrs along the price model of extended warranties.

The anecdote directly above by IndyHemi is the same as an anecdote of someone winning in Vegas. Overall people lose.

Do what you want, but if you have had or plan on having more than five or six handsets in your life you are better off self insuring (ie not getting TEP)