1.    #1  
    Has anyone else had this problem???? I have noticed that after i use garmin xt for a over 10 minutes that when i turn it off the clock is off..... the longer i run it the more it is off. I have the phone set to pull the time off the network but the only way i can get it to fix itself after the time screws up is to disable then re enable the network time.... this is starting to get annoying.... anyone have any idea how to fix this.

On a side note ... i am on my second 8oow now. I dont know if garmin has anything to do with it but i have had both of my phone post tested at the sprint store... both failed saying the rf output was bad.... may be a thing with the 800... or maybe the 800's with garmin on them I dont know. but still interesting
    I use Garmin and I did notice my phone was way off, about 2 hours. I'm just surprised the phone didn't adjust the correct time using the network, which is how it was configured. I'm going out later, so I'll see if Garmin does it again.
  3.    #3  
    I turned garmin on for like 2 minutes didnt even nav to anything and the clock was back a hour after exiting garmin ...... is there a setting somewhere in garmin im missing?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I had the same problem. I would have to manually reset the clock 3 to 4 times each day. I even tried having the phone not sync the clock with the network. But alas, that did not work. However, today i tried changing the visiting time zone to the same time zone as home. I also enable the phone to sync with the network. Haven't had to change the clock since, despite using Garmin several times today. Might want to give that a try.
    It sounds like the Garmin software looks at the timezone it's set to and the timezone the phone is set to, adjusts itself to the time it thinks it should be and somehow applies it to the system.

Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    It sounds like the Garmin software looks at the timezone it's set to and the timezone the phone is set to, adjusts itself to the time it thinks it should be and somehow applies it to the system.

Fun
    Yeah, the phone DOES set itself to some kind of Time Zone. Unfortunately, there's no setting that I could see. You can see this by doing the following...
    1. Check your clock
    2. Start Garmin, then minimize it.
    3. Look at the clock again.

I noticed mine was about 3 hours off.
    I figured what the problem is and how the fix.

Since the GPS requires a data connection, Garmin will initiate it. For some reason, Garmin somehow grabs the system time from the network. Unsure where, because my time varies from a few minutes to several hours.

Solution

1. Prior to starting Garmin, initiate a data connection, either by starting IE or another GPS program, like Live Search. Then start Garmin

2. Uncheck "Use network time zone" in Clocks and Alarms.

3. Turn off/on the phone radio, which should force to grab the system time.

Select one of the above options.

Strangely, this seems to happen only in Garmin and if you don't do them, the clock somehow never resets itself to your time zone. I could not produce the problem with TomTom, Live Search, or Google Maps.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 07/20/2008 at 02:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Going on 48 hours now without a change in clock since doing what I wrote above. Give it a shot and see what happens.
    How much did you guys get garmin xt for or where can I download it
    Though you have to purchase Garmin, which includes the maps, you can download them here...

You need to download the Unit software...
    Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile, Ver. 4.20.50w, as of Apr 29, 2008

And the Support Files...
    Garmin Mobile XT Support Files, Ver. 4.xx.xx, as of Jul 11, 2007

The Basemap is optional, if you already have the map...
    Garmin Mobile XT Free Basemap, Ver. 4.xx.xx, as of Apr 19, 2007
    Thanks...kinda pricey. How about a cab file for TomTom?
    Quote Originally Posted by intomed View Post
    I had the same problem. I would have to manually reset the clock 3 to 4 times each day. I even tried having the phone not sync the clock with the network. But alas, that did not work. However, today i tried changing the visiting time zone to the same time zone as home. I also enable the phone to sync with the network. Haven't had to change the clock since, despite using Garmin several times today. Might want to give that a try.

I tried this and it did not work. The other work around posted here may work but is too impractical to implement every time you want to use gps. I tried simply keeping Garmin running in the background. This solves the time sync issue, but only drains the battery lightning-fast.

Bottom line: the current shipping version of Garmin is not Treo 800w ready/friendly. Yes, you can get it to work. Even when it does, I found it to be slow to respond, as well as inaccurate in recalculating routes -- esp in city driving conditions.

My solution: I'm returning Garmin (to Amazon) and will wait for something that is designed to work with the 800w.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    FYI - the Garmin problem is not unique to the Treo 800w. It's been widely discussed in the Touch/Vogue forum at ppcgeeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    I tried this and it did not work. The other work around posted here may work but is too impractical to implement every time you want to use gps. I tried simply keeping Garmin running in the background. This solves the time sync issue, but only drains the battery lightning-fast.

Bottom line: the current shipping version of Garmin is not Treo 800w ready/friendly. Yes, you can get it to work. Even when it does, I found it to be slow to respond, as well as inaccurate in recalculating routes -- esp in city driving conditions.

My solution: I'm returning Garmin (to Amazon) and will wait for something that is designed to work with the 800w.
    I just Uncheck "Use network time zone" in Clocks and Alarms and I have no problems about the clock being off anymore. It's just a one time deal. If you had the 700wx, then you are familiar with that option, since many of us had to due it. I use Garmin almost daily.
    Even if I could get the time thing to work, the other issues are still deal breakers for me with this version:

(1) start-up (have to force it or use other work around to find gps connectivity)
    (2) lag in map re-drawing (always several hundred yards off as I drive around)
    (3) route recalc (again, slow to respond. Bad in city driving)
    (4) battery hog
    Yeah. the lag is a killer, but I found out that the voice prompt is accurate. So as you don't stare at your location, you're fine.

I'm surprised you're having problems with Garmin & the 800w. I use Garmin configured as "GPS intermediate driver" and it works just fine.

TomTom is fast and more configurable, but there's no new maps available for the PPC. Even with TomTom7 and a version 7 map, it's still not new. I don't even know how old the map is. At least with Garmin, the latest map is 2009. I suspect tomTom7 version map maybe 2007.