Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I know there are many people who will be going from Palm OS to WM 6.1, and that's me included next week, but I have no idea where to begin. Now I dont know if there is a thread related to this, but since I am new to the WM OS, I wont know what programs for WM will be close to the ones I have on my Palm.

I have a small idea from just reading some things, but there is always that... What is ESSENTIAL when I first get it, and what are some of the programs you really like, and are glad you found.

I am sure there are a few people on here who have used both OS's and can give some good feedback. If someone can help with that, i'll list some programs and maybe someone can tell me what would replace them.

2day from shsh (Love this program for the all around organization)
    2dial from shsh (this phone app is a killer phone app as some will attest)

Agendus Pro from Iambic I believe there is a WM version. If there is something else that is better, please list what you use.

BugMe (cool little program to actually write on the screen to take notes. I use this when I am at work and want to look up a product. I launch it, and write down the number just as if I had pen and paper)

Butler by Hobbyist (this is a cant live without program for the Palm OS, and the alerts, alarms, and overall sweetness of the program is amazing.) I have heard people mention TreoAlert, but I am not sure if it is the same thing.

Chatter (I guess people are still trying to figure out the best e-mail app for WM)

CorePlayer (I know there is a WM version, so that should be no problem)

Kinoma (my guess is Kinoma for WM will be out sometime)

Documents to Go ( I believe there is a WM version of it out)

MunduIM (not sure what IM people are using)

Resco Neeews (Love this RSS program, and I have no clue what is used for WM)

Opera (that should be no problem since there is mini and 9.5)

PalmPDF I use to view PDF files, and docs to go will do this, but I dont know if people use a different PDF reader for WM.

PocketTunes (I know there is a WM version)

RescoBackup (i'd be toast without that program, so PLEASE list which back up program you MUST have on the new device)

tryda (directory assistant should be out sometime for WM devices, but I have no idea what people use otherwise)

Weather programs i've used a few, but I am sure there are some you guys love on WM

SplashPhoto for photos

A few other things I have are a wine guide, a few games, NESM emulator, DietAssistant 7 which I think there is a WM version, a sweet calculator with a conversion and what not, Zlauncher.

Any help as to WHAT to use, and where to go would save me TONS of time. I am sure there are some top 5 or 10 apps everyone has that would make my life so much easier when I get the new device.

Thanks!
    ill 2nd this post

only because im going from my mogul to the treo, and i know the OS is the same, but im sure theirs progs you all have been usin for a while with the treo that will come in handy for myself and others
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I'll add what I can:

Chatter --> FlexMail

Mundu --> Fring (great program!)

PalmPDF --> built in Picsel viewer works fine

Tryda --> Windows Live search ( I was concerned about losing Tryda before moving over, but Windows Live Search made me forget about it)
    quickstang, I downloaded a program called StyleTap when I had my Mogul. It worked great on a lot of programs as well as Tryda (although it wouldn't copy or map). StyleTap is a program that allows you to use the Palm programs on a WM phone. Here are links:

http://www.styletap.com/index.php

http://www.styletap.com/downloads.php

The price might seem steep, but wait until you see how many WM programs you will have to pay for that you get for free with POS.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    quickstang, I downloaded a program called StyleTap when I had my Mogul. It worked great on a lot of programs as well as Tryda (although it wouldn't copy or map). StyleTap is a program that allows you to use the Palm programs on a WM phone. Here are links:

http://www.styletap.com/index.php

http://www.styletap.com/downloads.php

The price might seem steep, but wait until you see how many WM programs you will have to pay for that you get for free with POS.
    And this is what I dont really want to run into, where i'm dumping 100's on software. That was my biggest concern when switching. I read about that, but read where some things aren't fitting well, and get distorted. Maybe later it will be better. I just hate the thought of losing Kinoma, Core, Ptunes, my Diet program, chatter, Agendus, TakePhone, 2dial, Butler, Mundu, etc etc.

I see there is a new version as of the 16th, so maybe with-in time they'll have something for the 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas View Post
    I'll add what I can:

Mundu --> Fring (great program!)

)
    Beejive (www.beejive.com)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    And this is what I dont really want to run into, where i'm dumping 100's on software. That was my biggest concern when switching. I read about that, but read where some things aren't fitting well, and get distorted. Maybe later it will be better. I just hate the thought of losing Kinoma, Core, Ptunes, my Diet program, chatter, Agendus, TakePhone, 2dial, Butler, Mundu, etc etc.

I see there is a new version as of the 16th, so maybe with-in time they'll have something for the 800w
    If you go to the main site, P-Tunes will give you a discount since you changed devices. Not sure about the others, but they might. Would love to have Butler, but I haven't found anything close yet. For alarms SPB Time is really good.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    There is no DTG release for the WM pro OS. Bummer. The one with the pro release: no num-lock is the bummer for me. Freezing columns & rows is hit-and-miss to say the least.

I did purchase pTunes at the discount and with the appropriate skin, it works very well.

FlexMail - I guess I just gotta try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    There is no DTG release for the WM pro OS. Bummer. The one with the pro release: no num-lock is the bummer for me. Freezing columns & rows is hit-and-miss to say the least.

I did purchase pTunes at the discount and with the appropriate skin, it works very well.

FlexMail - I guess I just gotta try it.
    Thanks for reminding me! I'm off to install DTG on my 800w and run it through StyleTap. It is in many ways better than Pocket Word and Excel.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    why the need for docs to go when there is office mobile (am I dating myself, causae I thought that it came with the phone)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Thanks for reminding me! I'm off to install DTG on my 800w and run it through StyleTap. It is in many ways better than Pocket Word and Excel.
    So your DTG you are going to install was on the Palm OS, and it should work with StyleTap correct?
    I installed DTG on mine via StyleTap - it showed one time and never came back up. Why do we need DTG? For me, since I input lots of numbers, I just hate having to tap the NUM lock thing a total of 3 times and the fact it does not carry on to the next cell is really wasteful. In addition, it is a little bit on the MESSED UP side when it comes to locking (freezing) columns and rows. I also like the very direct way that DTG uses to set up computations.
    How about a stand in for Keycaps? I miss my one finger caps and numbers. Gotta be something out there. What will work best with the 800?
    I'm in the same boat. Just traded in the ol' and very reliable 650 for the new 800w sports car.

The 650 sucked in terms of volume...I downloaded VolumeCare, and all the stars aligned with the 650. Now I'm having the same issue with my new sports car.

What application will increase the volume for the speaker and headset?
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    How about a stand in for Keycaps? I miss my one finger caps and numbers. Gotta be something out there. What will work best with the 800?
    Try MagicKB lite http://www.mobiion.com/magikblite.html

Just like keycaps. Only problem I am having is that if you have a letter assigned to a speed dial, it doesn't accept that if magickb is activated. I assume there is a fix, I just need to find it.
    I tried this program and it dod not work (at least, it did not work i the test area).
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I tried this program and it dod not work (at least, it did not work i the test area).
    Be certain to choose the 750 overlay from the menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas View Post
    Try MagicKB lite http://www.mobiion.com/magikblite.html

Just like keycaps. Only problem I am having is that if you have a letter assigned to a speed dial, it doesn't accept that if magickb is activated. I assume there is a fix, I just need to find it.
    Go to "disable in these applications" and choose Shell32.exe and cprog.exe. One letter speed dial will return.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider View Post
    Go to "disable in these applications" and choose Shell32.exe and cprog.exe. One letter speed dial will return.
    Excellent. I will try that. Thanks for the tip!
    Is there a program which let me assign speed dial keys to launch Apps? I miss that option a lot.
    Thanks.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast