Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Still looking for a WM equivalent for good ol' Palm OS Memo + Find (or better, FindHack)... the standard WM Notes+Search is very lousy, slow and cannot do what the original Palm Memo+Find could do (keep a bunch of text memos, allow you to search through them quickly and allow you to jump into a memo at the point of each search hit).

Perhaps I should just try running ol' Palm Memo+Find on StyleTap (I doubt Find would work though (would it?))...
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Still looking for a WM equivalent for good ol' Palm OS Memo + Find (or better, FindHack)... the standard WM Notes+Search is very lousy, slow and cannot do what the original Palm Memo+Find could do (keep a bunch of text memos, allow you to search through them quickly and allow you to jump into a memo at the point of each search hit).

Perhaps I should just try running ol' Palm Memo+Find on StyleTap (I doubt Find would work though (would it?))...
    I'm confused: are you saying you have tried the built in Search (Opt + Shift) pictured below and it doesn't work out for you? It seems pretty robust...

Flexmail is extremely slow and unstable. It also causes the entire device to slow to a crawl. I'm using Profimail and it runs circles around Flexmail. What Flexmail took 5 hours to download, Profimail did in ~2 minutes and it is stable. If you do try it, get the latest beta - there is a thread on their forums with a link to download it. For weather, I'm using Weatherbug mobile. They say it isn't compatible with the 800 but I'm using it and it works well enough that I can live with it until they update it. It gives real time weather reports with the most accurate radar I've ever used.
    I'm currently using a Centro and previously used the 650 and 755. I'ld like to purchase the 800 but have a lot invested in apps. Here are some critical ones for me can someone run down the list and let me know if the main features might be available out of the box or if the program is available in Windows or if I need to get used to life without it? * means very important to me. Thanks

2Day
    *Acid Image Pro (only use for viewing .tif fax images emailed to my exchange account.)
    Audible (own lots of books)
    *Card Reader
    eReader (own several books)
    Resco Explorer
    Kinoma (doesn't work in background so I don't use much but like podcasts)
    UltraSoft Money
    Mundu IM (ms messenger contacts used rarely)
    *Mobile TS (used occasionally to reboot server in emergency. saved my *** while on vacation.)
    My Bible
    *Pocket Tunes Deluxe (internet streaming radio)
    *pdaNet or Usb Modem
    *Docs to Go (used to view emailed .pdf attachements and office files)
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    I'm currently using a Centro and previously used the 650 and 755. I'ld like to purchase the 800 but have a lot invested in apps. Here are some critical ones for me can someone run down the list and let me know if the main features might be available out of the box or if the program is available in Windows or if I need to get used to life without it?
    Audible (own lots of books) - Audible is supported on Windows Mobile, works with all the books you already own.

eReader (own several books) - Available for Windows Mobile, I would certainly assume all your books would work.

Resco Explorer - Available for WM, but you have to buy it again and much of the functionality is already available in File Explorer with free add-ons.

Mundu IM (ms messenger contacts used rarely) - Live Messenger built-in.

*Mobile TS - There are several packages with the WM6 RDP client floating around.

My Bible - PocketBible is available for $10, though if you email them they may give you a discount or even just let you convert your license. They are very helpful. All the books and bibles you already purchased will work with it.

*Pocket Tunes Deluxe (internet streaming radio) - I use CorePlayer for this and video. TCPMP is free, though I'm not sure if that streams.

*pdaNet or Usb Modem - Software built-in, requires paying for PAM (or cheating and swapping out a DLL).

*Docs to Go - Office to go is built in, pdf reader also.

I use StyleTap to run the few PalmOS apps that didn't have a WM alternative and it works fantastic on the 800w with the 320x320 screen. I've been surprised how easy it's been to switch, though I couldn't have done it without StyleTap. It's been 3 weeks now and the only real complaint I have is the lack of 3.5mm stereo adapter...
    Ok, did you take it up with Pocket Informant support? I do not find it slow on my 800W and it is exceedingly stable - not a problem at all there with 2 IMAP accounts running throughout the day and 2 other IMAP accounts used as needed. Outgoing mail is within a second or 2 with everyone.net and about 3 seconds or so with GMail (due to the protocol differences).

As for your download time, are you positive of those times? Same conditions? I did not find that to be true when I test drove Profimail prior to doing FlexMail. So, I downloaded and installed it again today and I am not finding a download time difference. None at all. Nope.

Large emails/file attachments, et cetera slow a device down, regardless of the application. Also, Profimail does not have the ability to initiate connecting to the data system (tried it).

In addition, if one has a problem seeing small characters, this application will really strain the eyes. There is no font control within the application.

It does do a better job with finding files to attachment to email and it does have a plus when it comes to renaming files. Marking messages is ok.

So for a beta, not bad, but really, it still has a long, long way to go. Worth buying now? No.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman50 View Post
    Flexmail is extremely slow and unstable. It also causes the entire device to slow to a crawl. I'm using Profimail and it runs circles around Flexmail. What Flexmail took 5 hours to download, Profimail did in ~2 minutes and it is stable. If you do try it, get the latest beta - there is a thread on their forums with a link to download it. For weather, I'm using Weatherbug mobile. They say it isn't compatible with the 800 but I'm using it and it works well enough that I can live with it until they update it. It gives real time weather reports with the most accurate radar I've ever used.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Ok, did you take it up with Pocket Informant support? I do not find it slow on my 800W and it is exceedingly stable - not a problem at all there with 2 IMAP accounts running throughout the day and 2 other IMAP accounts used as needed. Outgoing mail is within a second or 2 with everyone.net and about 3 seconds or so with GMail (due to the protocol differences).

As for your download time, are you positive of those times? Same conditions? I did not find that to be true when I test drove Profimail prior to doing FlexMail. So, I downloaded and installed it again today and I am not finding a download time difference. None at all. Nope.

Large emails/file attachments, et cetera slow a device down, regardless of the application. Also, Profimail does not have the ability to initiate connecting to the data system (tried it).

In addition, if one has a problem seeing small characters, this application will really strain the eyes. There is no font control within the application.

It does do a better job with finding files to attachment to email and it does have a plus when it comes to renaming files. Marking messages is ok.

So for a beta, not bad, but really, it still has a long, long way to go. Worth buying now? No.
    I didn't bother. The issues I was seeing were reported by numerous people on their support forums and there were no resolutions. I struggled with it for 3 days, uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. And the issues I was experiencing were the rule rather than the exception.
    Then if you are interested, try the beta. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBiz View Post
    Kinoma (doesn't work in background so I don't use much but like podcasts)
    Kinoma Play is our new Windows Mobile product. It does so much more than previous-generation players that we call it a "mobile media browser" to help make that clearer. Since it's running on a modern mobile OS, background playback is a given.

For anyone that didn't get an email or see the blog entry, our one-time special upgrade pricing from Kinoma Player 4 EX ends at midnight, October 1: http://blog.kinoma.com/2008/09/only-...grade-pricing/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowX View Post
    I havent gotten my 800w yet but its on the way and im also upgrading from the 755 most the programs i use have already been listed but im looking for something similar to Phone Technincan the same people who make Butler. Im really looking for something where I can assign a button to turn off the screen when im on a call. And a way to to set the Phone radio to turn off and on at specific times.

Is there a The Weather Channel app like the one for POS?

Is there a directory assistance program like x411 or is that what the live search does that is on the today screen. I cant try it as I dont have my new 800w yet.

And last one I promise Im looking for a program like MegaClock that has a stopwatch, Timer, and shows different time for the different time zones.

Thanks guys.
    DId you find the clock for windows mobile Treo? I need one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Yes, but not for categories (unless I am missing something.) You could with the POS.
    Sorry if I'm coming late to this thread and this has already been answered, but I think mring will do that.

That is; assign different ringtones to categories.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Hello all! I am wondering if there is an equivalent, either built in to Windows Mobile or an add-on program that does what Treo Navitext did for my Palm Treo 700p. It allowed me to quickly move through text word by word instead of character by character by holding the option key while pressing a direction on the 5 way navigator. Thanks!
    I use DateBk6. I need a program that will allow me to set up the month view to show icons that are assigned to birthdays, holidays, and other appointments.
    I check the month view more than the daily view. This may be built in to the OS already, but I have not found any way to check.
    Agendus is what I continue to use. There is also Pocket Informant.
    Agendus, Pocket Informant, Extreme Agenda and Agenda One - those are the ones I tried. I did second runs on Agendus and Extreme Agenda. Ended up with Extreme Agenda.

I felt Agendus was cluttered and offered way too much. Pocket Informant offered way too much. Agenda One and Extreme Agenda were ok. I went back at a later time and retried Agendus and Extreme Agenda and chose Extreme Agenda. Agenda One was ok, I just did not like the work screen. Extreme Agendna's splash screen bothers me, but the application itself does fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    I use DateBk6. I need a program that will allow me to set up the month view to show icons that are assigned to birthdays, holidays, and other appointments.
    I check the month view more than the daily view. This may be built in to the OS already, but I have not found any way to check.
    DateBk6 with wm on the 800w? Is it available?
    Laissez Faire
    He is talking about using it with Style Tap.
    Treohelper on palmos let's you schedule your phone to turn it's radio on&off every day of the week, and best of all, it was free. It also let's you remotely lock your phone if you lost it using an sms command.

SKSchema let's you do the same on&off on a schedule, but with a lot more. However, it's not free, but worth it if you want more control over other parts of the phone.

Currently, I have the app to turn phone on and off every day at a certain time, don't make the sound while doing it, and don't turn on the screen while turning on/off. I have the alt+start to turn the bluetooth on and alt+calendar turn off the bluetooth.

As for the remote lock, I like mSafe. I tried a few, and this one seems the best imo.

Hope this helps someone, and if you know a better or free alternative, I'll very much be interested!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I'm looking for a PIM option to cover two views I miss from my Palm OS days:

1. Week view with text listing of all appointments on each day (like in 2day)

2. Month view with text of appointments on each day (like ksDatebook)

Suggestions?
    Try Agendus, which includes a list view inside each view.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast