Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Could someone tell me, or point me to the right place if I've missed in the search... I don't have the unit yet so this is pre-purchase info I"m looking for.

What is required for turn by turn GPS on Spring? Do you need a certain level of data service? Added monthly charge? I thought so because I thought I read that you could get a 3rd party app to get around the fee. If so, which 3rd party apps.

Thanks for the help. Sorry if redundant.
    A monthly charge (9.99) or a Sprint Unlimited plan.

I just upgraded to the Simply Everything, and my Treo800 automatically logged in and did not prompt for the fee.
    Look for TomTom for WM. Or Garmin XT or iGuidance. Get a big microSDHC card (even 4GB or higher is pretty cheap nowadays). Then get GPSGate. All done.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Look for TomTom for WM. Or Garmin XT or iGuidance. Get a big microSDHC card (even 4GB or higher is pretty cheap nowadays). Then get GPSGate. All done.
    OK, gonna go read about these now.

So basically Sprint is charging for access to the software? The GPS function works without paying for the Everything plan but you need outside software. Right?
    Sprint offers their Navigation for a subscription fee. As mentioned, you can use 3rd party Navigation software (to install on your device). It's a one time fee for the software, but "sometimes" a fee for updated maps, which usually comes out annually. Garmin functions well using the internal GPS. I know TomTom requires GpsGate, since it's not designed for internal GPS. I'm not sure about IGuidance.

These navigation software offers Voice enabled turn by turn directions and also traffic avoidance. There's also FREE navigation type software, such as Live Search and Google Maps. Both will use internal GPS on the device. Unfortunately, they do not offer voice enabled turn by turn directions.

The 3rd party apps do not require data services, except for traffice information. Unfortunately, Live Search and Google Maps DO require data services.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Sprint offers their Navigation for a subscription fee. As mentioned, you can use 3rd party Navigation software (to install on your device). It's a one time fee for the software, but "sometimes" a fee for updated maps, which usually comes out annually. Garmin functions well using the internal GPS. I know TomTom requires GpsGate, since it's not designed for internal GPS. I'm not sure about IGuidance.

These navigation software offers Voice enabled turn by turn directions and also traffic avoidance. There's also FREE navigation type software, such as Live Search and Google Maps. Both will use internal GPS on the device. Unfortunately, they do not offer voice enabled turn by turn directions.

The 3rd party apps do not require data services, except for traffice information. Unfortunately, Live Search and Google Maps DO require data services.
    I posted on an earlier thread about iGuidance. I own the latest version but support told me it would not work on the 800W, they do not support 320x320. That's too bad I really like their program.

With Live Search and Google Maps, does it actually show you driving down the street as a real navigation? Or its just text directions given like mapquest?

Thanks.

Also, if you have the 'Simply Everything Plan'(Unlimited Everything), do I still need Data Service in order for GPS to work? Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy215 View Post
    With Live Search and Google Maps, does it actually show you driving down the street as a real navigation? Or its just text directions given like mapquest?

Thanks.
    It updates your position in real-time. The first time I saw it on my BT GPS-connected 700p, I was amazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy215 View Post
    Also, if you have the 'Simply Everything Plan'(Unlimited Everything), do I still need Data Service in order for GPS to work? Thanks again.
    If you have SEP, not only do you already have data service included for the price, you also get Sprint Navigation too.
    Siemens A56 > Samsung SGH-X426 > HTC Tornado > HTC Wizard > HTC Wizard + Sony Ericsson K800i > iPhone EDGE + Sony Ericsson K800i > RIM Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve > Palm Treo 800w > HTC Touch Diamond > HTC Touch Diamond + Palm Pre