1.    #1  
    I'm able to use a custom sound for a new SMS but it looks like the e-mail notification sound is limited to just the default ones?

Yes? No?
    I am able to change it to whatever I want even custom MP3's.

Start, settings, Personal tab-sounds and notification. Drop down box to select the ringer.

Make sure Play Sound is checked.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I am able to change it to whatever I want even custom MP3's.

Start, settings, Personal tab-sounds and notification. Drop down box to select the ringer.

Make sure Play Sound is checked.
    For some reason, my custom sounds aren't displayed when I try to change the new e-mail one.
    if i recall correctly... for email notification, you have to create a .wav file and it must be dropped into the windows directory in your phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by badboy8813 View Post
    if i recall correctly... for email notification, you have to create a .wav file and it must be dropped into the windows directory in your phone.
    I'm able to use mp3s for the SMS notification. Are you saying the email notification somehow has a .wav limitation?
  6.    #6  
    Well, did some testing. It looks like only certain notifications can use custom sounds. If somebody can prove this wrong, let me know. Two examples of notifications that I cannot use a custom sound would be new email and ActiveSync, among others.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm having trouble choosing new custom sounds too for those particular sound events, using both WAV and MP3 files. I'm wondering if:

1. TreoAlarm would solve this, and/or
    2. I should just replace the stock Windows Mobile .wav files with my own as the way to customize the sounds.

(It seems messy how all the sound files are stuck in the /Windows directory.)

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Just found software that'll help you install custom sounds for SMS and emails, for $10. InboxTones.
    http://mobileqore.moonfruit.com/inboxtones/4528122191

Way to go, Windows Mobile.
    I'm pretty sure it's a glitch. Try a soft reset and see if that fixes it. If not...maybe a hard reset will?

I know I can choose custom ringers, even MP3s, for new email on my 700wx, and Vibrant has confirmed that he can choose custom ringers.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGF View Post
    I'm having trouble choosing new custom sounds too for those particular sound events, using both WAV and MP3 files. I'm wondering if:

1. TreoAlarm would solve this, and/or
    2. I should just replace the stock Windows Mobile .wav files with my own as the way to customize the sounds.

(It seems messy how all the sound files are stuck in the /Windows directory.)

Any thoughts?
    Not sure what problems you're having. I use custom sounds for new email and incoming text messages. Did you drop your file into the Windows folder? How long is the audio?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I think the confusion arises as to how to add sounds to the device. What I did was go to the Sounds settings, Manage tab, then Menu > Add (or something like that). Windows Mobile adds this to /Windows/Rings, but you can't choose anything in /Windows/Rings for your new email and incoming SMS notification.

To work around this, I moved the audio files into /Windows, then set the file to Read Only. Only then did Windows Mobile allow me to pick those files.