Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    I have the screen saver active.. I've noticed that when viewing a light background such as Programs or Settings, I can see ghost images of 07/18/08 throughout the screen. They are burnt-in from the screen saver.

Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by ywenz; 07/18/2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: yeah
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I do not see any ghost images and I went into Notes which is an all white background.
    It moves around every minute or so, I don't see how it could burn-in.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    It is burnt in on mine... I suspect others' as well.

I've turned it off for the past hour and the ghost is going away.
    LCD screens cannot burn in.

The only thing I can think of is some pixels are "stuck" on. Unplugging it and removing the battery should drain it.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Ebag: that is misconception. I've seen it on countless LCD screens with the WindowsXP login screen burnt-in at public terminals and computer labs.

Here ya go: http://www.google.com/search?q=LCD+b...ient=firefox-a
    I'm familiar with image persistance or "stuck" pixels. It is not the same as actual burn-in.

With the exception of monitors that have/had EXTREMELY soft plastic (where it would literally melt the image in the screen), LCD's aren't really damaged by leaving the same image up all the time.

The company where I work, in the operations center we have 12 full sized LCD screen TV/Monitors. Not a single one has image persistance after nearly a year of displaying the same image. Some of them quite literally display the same image, they only change when something breaks or goes down (rare). Some are changed slightly periodically, but elements of the screen still remain the same.

All 12 monitors run 24/7/365.

Finally, as long as you don't have an extremely cheap monitor/LCD, you can nearly always recover form image persistance. In fact, the first three links (only ones I looked at) all tell you how to fix it. For CRT's the "fix was two steps:

1) Throw away your old CRT
    2) Buy a new one

Image persistance (which is what you experienced, my guess would be that your device locked up for an extended period of time with the screen saver stuck on) and burn in are quite different.
    Quote Originally Posted by ywenz View Post
    Ebag: that is misconception. I've seen it on countless LCD screens with the WindowsXP login screen burnt-in at public terminals and computer labs.

Here ya go: http://www.google.com/search?q=LCD+b...ient=firefox-a
    Well, you proved his point. LCDs do not have burn-in. However, as the links you posted and as Ebag333 stated, pixels can get stuck.

As far as an actual solution, the only thing I can suggest other than EBag333's suggestion of unplugging it is returning it for a new one.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Okay you guys are arguing on a technicality. Refer back to my post above where I said I'm switching it off to have the LCD recover.

Not a burn-in in the CRT sense but a burn-in in the LCD sense.. We'll see how my screen recovers..

The company where I work, in the operations center we have 12 full sized LCD screen TV/Monitors. Not a single one has image persistance after nearly a year of displaying the same image. Some of them quite literally display the same image, they only change when something breaks or goes down (rare). Some are changed slightly periodically, but elements of the screen still remain the same.

All 12 monitors run 24/7/365.
    The Dell LCD I've seen have images burnt-in in similar amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ywenz View Post
    Okay you guys are arguing on a technicality.
    Except that none of the first three links call it burn in.

The closest they get is: "Like burn in, image persistance...."

It's like saying "My phone bricked, but I reset and it was fixed."
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    back to topic - Anyone else have screen burn in from the screen saver on their 800W?
    no

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    no
    Since this thread is already quite hijacked...

Did you go back to an old avatar, Mal?
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    bump.. screen burn in?

After disabling my screen saver for a few hours.. the ghosting has dissipated. The LCD on the 800w seems to be very susceptible to burn-ins
    no, I haven't...its not possible with an LCD screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Since this thread is already quite hijacked...

Did you go back to an old avatar, Mal?
    lol, yeah...I'm quite partial to my south park-self

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter