Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the GPS going to be a true stand alone and will styletap be full compatible with os 5 software
    On Palm's website the GPS is listed as both standalone and assisted so technically it should be. However, some are having issues connecting to GPS when they turn the radio off.

My hunch is turning the radio off turns the GPS receiver as well and if you don't have a signal somewhere GPS will still work but it's only a hunch.
    The GPS is not standalone and probably never will be. StyleTap is not fully compatible with OS5 software.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The GPS is not standalone and probably never will be.
    According to Palm it is. Have you tried it with the radio on but with no cell phone signal?
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    The GPS is not standalone and probably never will be. StyleTap is not fully compatible with OS5 software.
    In the GPS settings menu(##477#), Standalone is indeed an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    In the GPS settings menu(##477#), Standalone is indeed an option.
    Then make it work.
    Then make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer
    According to Palm it is. Have you tried it with the radio on but with no cell phone signal?
    If you're going to just repeat the samething...
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Then make it work.
    It does work.
  9. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Then make it work.
    Nobody has proven it doesn't work. Give me one report of someone without cell coverage who hasn't been able to get a lock. All the long line of tests show is that it doesn't work with the phone off after a reset. That doesn't mean it won't work with the phone on and no usable signal after a reset.

Prove it doesn't work, then maybe someone will bother to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    It does work.
    I can confirm it does *NOT* work.

I am currently attempting to hack the device to get it to work. Not much luck so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Nobody has proven it doesn't work. Give me one report of someone without cell coverage who hasn't been able to get a lock. All the long line of tests show is that it doesn't work with the phone off after a reset. That doesn't mean it won't work with the phone on and no usable signal after a reset.

I can. Before I activated the phone, I turned the radio on and installed GPSGate. When it tried to open the GPS port, it also initiated an EVDO connection. Obviously, since the device was not activated, it could not access Vision and would not give me GPS coordinates.
    That doesn't prove anything. The radio is still on, which is the entire problem here in the first place. It's advertised as standalone GPS, which it apparently isn't.
    PDA/Smartphone history:
    Apple Newton MessagePad 130, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor Prism, Kyocera 6035, numerous Treo 650s, Palm Treo 700wx, HTC Titan (PPC6800), back to Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaloutsider View Post
    That doesn't prove anything. The radio is still on, which is the entire problem here in the first place. It's advertised as standalone GPS, which it apparently isn't.
    Right. No standalone GPS. Blows chunks.
  14.    #14  
    Has anyone actually looked at the chipsets being used inside or this is all speculation ?
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaloutsider View Post
    The test I described above proves definitively that it does NOT work in standalone mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I can confirm it does *NOT* work.

I am currently attempting to hack the device to get it to work. Not much luck so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I can. Before I activated the phone, I turned the radio on and installed GPSGate. When it tried to open the GPS port, it also initiated an EVDO connection. Obviously, since the device was not activated, it could not access Vision and would not give me GPS coordinates.
    Good enough, Cel?
    Plenty of people in the GPS threads have said that once you have a GPS lock, it will continue to track your position even with the radio off. That would mean the system has a standalone GPS.

At the most, all those tests prove is that Sprint has perhaps (maybe even intelligently depending on your perspective) crippled the GPS to be inactive unless you have a Sprint account.

Again, as so many other people have asked, can you or can you not prove that the GPS will not work with the radio on in an area that does not have a sprint signal? Or would you perhaps rather just spout off about how much the unit 'blows chunks' without actually being able to provide any evidence yourself?

I'm personally a little tired of the GPS chatter anyway. Arguing that somehow a device which is designed to only be activated on the sprint network, is somehow crippled because you need an account to use one of the features...is really pretty silly.

If you want a GPS unit, go buy a garmin, or a tomtom, or any of a variety of other standalone GPS units designed to be just that. If you want a phone that also has fantastic and stable GPS features - then the 800w fits that bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Plenty of people in the GPS threads have said that once you have a GPS lock, it will continue to track your position even with the radio off. That would mean the system has a standalone GPS.

At the most, all those tests prove is that Sprint has perhaps (maybe even intelligently depending on your perspective) crippled the GPS to be inactive unless you have a Sprint account.

Again, as so many other people have asked, can you or can you not prove that the GPS will not work with the radio on in an area that does not have a sprint signal? Or would you perhaps rather just spout off about how much the unit 'blows chunks' without actually being able to provide any evidence yourself?

I'm personally a little tired of the GPS chatter anyway. Arguing that somehow a device which is designed to only be activated on the sprint network, is somehow crippled because you need an account to use one of the features...is really pretty silly.

If you want a GPS unit, go buy a garmin, or a tomtom, or any of a variety of other standalone GPS units designed to be just that. If you want a phone that also has fantastic and stable GPS features - then the 800w fits that bill.
    Um, the 800w is advertised as having standalone GPS, fanboy. Do some reading next time.

Sprint also doesn't guarantee 100% coverage across the globe. What happens if I have my Sprint-activated 800w in a place where I don't have a signal? The kind of place where having standalone GPS would be VERY handy? I guess I'll just use my Mogul since it does everything the 800w does, and more.
    Um, the 800w is advertised as having standalone GPS, fanboy. Do some reading next time.

Sprint also doesn't guarantee 100% coverage across the globe. What happens if I have my Sprint-activated 800w in a place where I don't have a signal? The kind of place where having standalone GPS would be VERY handy? I guess I'll just use my Mogul since it does everything the 800w does, and more.
    I think this isn't an argument about what if's and what if nots.

The real question is-
    Is the Treo 800w's GPS Standalone.
    Meaning, does it function without the use of the Ceullar Network?

The answer I'd imagine is either a straightforward Yes, a No, or a ... it is Standalone, however Sprint or whomever has disabled it's ability to do this.

Obviously this isn't a problem that will hit most people- but for those planning to use their 800w as a Travel Navigation Unit overseas will hit this issue.

I think the fact that Palm has advertised it as such- should clarify one way or the other.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast