Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paigoomein View Post
    I personally think it's a smart move for Palm. If they do decide to release an extended battery, then it will work for both the Centro and the 800w--only need to make a different battery cover for each.
    I would think that the 3rd party people would make a extendable battery and cover before Palm does.

I mean from what ive read and used with mine it will get in a good 6-8 hours of hard usage with full MP3 with bluetooth before it starts complaining about charge.

I dont see a HUGE market, but I have seen batteries that hold a bigger mAH then the standard on ebay. So the question is, how much more of a charge is needed for a power user?
    My battery is empty at 3:30pm on the first day of use. Not a good sign.
    I charge my battery again at around 3 or 4PM. This battery is pretty crappy. Bad move on Palm's part. An 1150mAH battery on a PDA is quite sad. A 1500mAH is the minimum. The Mogul had a 1590 and I can go about 13-16 hours a day. With this one and the same usage I go about 7 hours.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I charge my battery again at around 3 or 4PM. This battery is pretty crappy. Bad move on Palm's part. An 1150mAH battery on a PDA is quite sad. A 1500mAH is the minimum. The Mogul had a 1590 and I can go about 13-16 hours a day. With this one and the same usage I go about 7 hours.
    without disputing your claims, it's just going to get worse with newer devices.

cdma Diamond/Pro will at most have a 1350mah battery + VGA + 500mhz (GSM is only 900mah)--that's just where the industry is heading.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    This device is no Diamond. Plus I don't care. This thing retails $599. Its not a free phone. Usually I have no problems about using my phones. This one I find myself putting it down worried I won't have enough juice to get through situations. Like today I was with someone, no car charger and about 40 percent left. We used my friends phone to make the calls. I was worried about running out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilecigar View Post
    ya, and look at the forum it looks to me like palm may have (imo) turned down a lot of settings because of battery. low screen brightness. low vibrate, low ringers sounds, low volume ect,ect.Which gives you a lot less phone proformance, not just how much battery time you have. (imho).
    I think the volume and screen brightness are more than enough and I've been using smartphones (including the 700wx and Mogul) for years.

Battery life just sucks.
    I've gone down 16% in 8hrs with
    • 30 min email checks (12 emails)
    • 2hr weather updates
    • phone call
    • 20 mins of playing around
    • No screen saver
    • Keyguard on

I'm also in a low coverage area.

I dunno, that's okay for my needs.

It's attitudes like these that lets Palm get away with decisions like these.
    So you're trying to justify going from an 1800mAh battery to 1150mAh??
    If most of you refused to barter your money for a device with mediocre battery life, Palm would get the message and actually ''innovate''. The Nokia E71 puts the 800w to shame in battery life and it's much thinner.

Why bash the O.P for actually expecting to go a whole day with the battery on his $600 toy.
    When all the info regarding the 800w came out, I knew that sadly enough, my trusty 700Wx was more than likely my last Treo. Palm made it all too easy by not making the 800w sucker-free.

What's that saying...a fool and his money are soon apart...something like that I think.
    what are the chances the extra capacity battery ends up adding bulk to the phone and a new back piece?

man i hope not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
    what are the chances the extra capacity battery ends up adding bulk to the phone and a new back piece?

man i hope not...
    Check out Seidio's extended 2600mah battery for the Centro. It's the exact same battery the 800w needs, except with a different back door. Count on the 800w setup to be just like it.
    So I used my phone today for mild text messaging, voice command, Bluetooth headset + voice for about 50 minutes, and I tried out MusicID multiple times. After about 12 hours the battery is at 63%.

I may not use it as heavily as others but that's much much better than what I used to get from my Mogul under the same day-to-day tasks.

While I would have liked a better battery, I think it's only a natural progression that we start using smaller and smaller batteries. Our chipsets are getting more and more efficient as time goes on so I don't think it's necessarily a bad trend, it just needs to keep the efficiency up as batteries go down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    It's attitudes like these that lets Palm get away with decisions like these.
    So you're trying to justify going from an 1800mAh battery to 1150mAh??
    It's not justification--it's just the market. All WM devices have gone down in battery size in the last year. It's what people want.

Not my fault, lol.

Also not my fault that I'm okay with the battery. I don't need to justify to you if it's fine by my standards. Sprint gives people 30 days with the device. If battery is a problem, then they return it. What's the controversy here?
    E71 puts the 800w to shame in battery life and it's much thinner.
    Maybe. With 3g the rated battery is just 4.5 hrs (down from the 10 or so in non-3g). That translates into about a 1/2 hour difference between the 800w and e71.

That's hardly compelling.
    Why bash the O.P for actually expecting to go a whole day with the battery on his $600 toy.
    Bash is a strong word. I don't see anyone bashing him but it is sort of funny that he was surprised about the same battery as the Centro as most reviews (including TC and WME) mention this fact and we leaked it at WME weeks ago.

Also, everyone's usage is different. I know of professionals who have no problems with this device and other who do. I know hobbyists who have problems and those who do not.

What the OP should "expect" is a device to trial for 30 days to see if...I dunno..it fits his or her needs and wants.

Price is completely irrelevant.
    When all the info regarding the 800w came out, I knew that sadly enough, my trusty 700Wx was more than likely my last Treo. Palm made it all too easy by not making the 800w sucker-free.

What's that saying...a fool and his money are soon apart...something like that I think.
    I don't find a huge difference, if any, between the stock battery of my 700wx and the 800w.

But I've used both so I can actually say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Minarets View Post

man i hope not...
    Initially, 100% I'd guess. Seidio was able to make a 1300mAh extended battery for my Moto Q that was the same size as the factory 1100mAh battery. It doesn't sound like a big jump but it allows me to keep BT running all day if I want.

The Centro's been out at least 8 months but the only extended batteries I see require a new back cover.
    I've gotta agree with Mal here, the battery is just fine for my needs.

Sure, it's a lot smaller and won't last as long as my 700wx's, but the device simply does more.

On Sat I used the device fairly heavily all day, first 5 hours listening to streaming music with Wifi on. I left Wifi on all day, and still didn't need to recharge until about 5 PM that night (10 hours).

Yesterday, I used the device from 5 AM to 9 PM at night. No wifi on and no streaming music, but I read though over half of a (very long) e-book, ~7 hours of use where the screen was actually on and the device is being used.

I have push e-mail setup (another power hit), and did lots of texting both days. An "average" amount of phone calls.

I'll definatly get a larger battery when it's availible, but I'm happy with the device and my needs for it. I won't be able to go 2-3 days with some moderate power management like I could with my 700wx, but the chargers are cheap enough ($18 for two car chargers, shipped to my door) that I won't need to. With the Athena connector I either had to carry it, or fork out silly amounts of money for a new one.

As Mal said, if the battery life doesn't work for you, either return it or wait for the extended life battery. Or just buy a half dozen charges, scatter them around, and charge your device regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I've gotta agree with Mal here, the battery is just fine for my needs.

Sure, it's a lot smaller and won't last as long as my 700wx's, but the device simply does more.

On Sat I used the device fairly heavily all day, first 5 hours listening to streaming music with Wifi on. I left Wifi on all day, and still didn't need to recharge until about 5 PM that night (10 hours).

Yesterday, I used the device from 5 AM to 9 PM at night. No wifi on and no streaming music, but I read though over half of a (very long) e-book, ~7 hours of use where the screen was actually on and the device is being used.
    That's not bad at all. Was this with location privacy turned on?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    That's not bad at all. Was this with location privacy turned on?
    No, but I didn't use GPS either day. The GPS radio stays off until it's been used.

The first week or so of use the battery sucked. Lately it seems to be quite sufficiant for my needs.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12