View Poll Results: Was the Rev. A box checked for you (##EVDO#)?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was checked.

8 7.92%
  • No, it was not.

93 92.08%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I don't have Rev_A in my area so I don't know if this makes any difference or not.

On the dialpad, dial ##EVDO# (##3836#)
    On the next screen you will see options,
    Automatic
    Disable Broadband
    Force Broadband
    Checkbox for enable Rev A

The box was not checked on my 800w.
    If you are in a Rev A area, you might check your settings.
    Was yours checked?

If you checked yours, does it make a difference (mobile speed test)?

Please post results.

For speed test: http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Use the 1MB file for the most accurate results.

UPDATE:

Thanks to Malatesta I beleve we have a fix for those of you who have been missing calls/texts after enabling Rev A!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174963

If you've been missing calls, or had short rings before going to voicemail, take a look at his tweak.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 12/23/2008 at 04:27 PM.
    Wow... Mine was unchecked. Seems to be running faster now actually. My whole area is covered with Rev A. Sprint's Rev A coverage is sweeeeeeet.
  3.    #3  
    Any chance you can run a before and after speed test?

Try: http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Use the 100k file for the most accurate results.

(With it checked I've gotten one result that read 149 kb/s. While I have EVDO I'm unsure whether it's Rev. A or not. Plus it's not "officially" EVDO yet, so it may not be fully enabled. But it's still faster than 1X!)
    Got an error, but it did bring up the settings, boxed unchecked. The first time I tried to save the new setting, it reset the radio and unchecked the box for me. Second time it stuck though.
  5.    #5  
    For the record I received the errors the first time as well. Sounds like the phone doesn't like going into that setting window with the box unchecked.

I *BELIEVE* (99% sure) that this setting is stored in NV, which means it very well may be Sprint who broke it since the NV is what stores all your phone/carrier specific settings, such as ESN, MSL, carrier password, etc...basically all the ##CODE# screens (CODE isn't a real screen, substitute MSL, DATA, EVDO, etc as you please).

So lets not go haring off to blame Palm. Not just yet at least.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    I d/l the 100KB file and it said it was too fast so I d/l the 200KB file. I got 381kbits/sec and 0.156s latency.

downloading the 1MB file, I got 629Kbits/sec at 0.212s latency.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I had to use the 1MB test. I kept getting too fast results with 100k.

2 before tests: 936 kbit/sec and 857 kbit/sec

2 after tests: 895 kbit/sec and 865 kbit/sec
    On the DSLreports speedtest 1MB file, I get 600 - 900 kbit/sec consistently and I don't have Rev A.
    If you don't get close to that you may want to look at your "HA" settings, some settings from Sprint are very slow.
    Sprint coverage map for EVDO Rev_0 and Rev_A.

http://144.226.249.20/business/produ...doEnterZip.jsp
  10.    #10  
    Gah, I forgot about the 1MB file.

I've updated the first post to recommend that size...

My results:

ON:

OFF:

So looks like I don't have Rev A in this area. Meh, I don't know what I'm missing, and I'm just happy to be off of 1X.

But regardless, based on my *EXTREMELY* limited sample size, it does *NOT* appear to make a difference if you are in a non-Rev A area. So I'll only get the benefit of it when I'm travelling.

(And yes, my HA settings suck.)
    Last edited by Ebag333; 07/18/2008 at 12:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Gah, I forgot about the 1MB file.

I've updated the first post to recommend that size...

My results:

ON:

OFF:

So looks like I don't have Rev A in this area. Meh, I don't know what I'm missing, and I'm just happy to be off of 1X.

But regardless, based on my *EXTREMELY* limited sample size, it does *NOT* appear to make a difference if you are in a non-Rev A area. So I'll only get the benefit of it when I'm travelling.

(And yes, my HA settings suck.)
    Changing the settings may make a big difference, my sprint laptop card went from 300 to 1200 kbps by changing the default sprint settings.
  12.    #12  
    Already on the list of things to-do! :P

I think I'm using an HA back in Kansas or something silly like that...(half-way across the country for me)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Already on the list of things to-do! :P

I think I'm using an HA back in Kansas or something silly like that...(half-way across the country for me)
    What is your HA setting, I can plug it in my phone and test it if you want.
  14.    #14  
    Wouldn't help. The first setting is that "grab which ever random one is 'best'". (255.255.255.255)

And stop hijacking my thread!
    actually, measuring your upload speed is probably a better indicator as Rev0 can't really go higher than 120kbps, so if you're getting 200,300, 400 kbps...you know u are in RevA.

Either way, my check box doesn't stay checked after saving, so how do we know this is different?

all I know is my feel of this device on the 'net in NYC sure as heck feels waaay faster (up and down) than my older devices, so i'm confident RevA was always there...
    Using 1mb test
    before:

after:

hmm.
    why am I crushing you guys? lol

923 kbit/sec
    1012 kbit/sec
    983 kbit/sec

And I get poor coverage at home ;-)
    hey, I had one that was 905 :-P

I live in a low lying area in the outskirts so I'm pretty happy with those results. vzw and att have hardly any signal here. I'd be lucky to get 200 on vzw. att doesn't have 3g here.
    lol, yeah...LI is hit and miss too, but I gotta say the 800w pulls data more reliably than my other devices...

one more
    946 kbit/sec
    0.099s latency

I wonder what I get in full coverage/full signal.

(also im using opendns and some PIE tweaks)
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Either way, my check box doesn't stay checked after saving, so how do we know this is different?
    My check box stays saved.

Some people have reported they have to check it a second time to get it to stick.

I even just soft reset my phone to verify it sticks.

Hmm....I need to track down a mobile upload speed test....
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast