View Poll Results: Was the Rev. A box checked for you (##EVDO#)?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was checked.

8 7.92%
  • No, it was not.

93 92.08%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    mine was unchecked and i left it that way. cant start missing phone calls and dont want to rtn to get it running again. the sci thing will just drain the battery down more as well.

here are my results with box un checked...

these test are in a metal building as well.

those are still rev a speeds. i dont think the box being unchecked keeping you at evdo. i have had 20 no rev a devices and never got above 800 really.

i love bringing to life old threads. lol.

cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    mine was unchecked and i left it that way. cant start missing phone calls and dont want to rtn to get it running again. the sci thing will just drain the battery down more as well.

here are my results with box un checked...

these test are in a metal building as well.

those are still rev a speeds. i dont think the box being unchecked keeping you at evdo. i have had 20 no rev a devices and never got above 800 really.

i love bringing to life old threads. lol.

cody
    Rev. A doesn't really effect download much (if at all). It's upload that it effects, and there's not a good upload test for mobile devices that I've found yet.
    From Sprint:
    Sprint Mobile Broadband devices operate at average download speed ranges from 400-700 Kbps with peak rates up to 2 Mbps, and at average upload speeds of 40-70 Kbps with peak rates up to 144 Kbps in Mobile Broadband (EVDO Rev 0) coverage areas.

Sprint Mobile Broadband devices that are EVDO Rev A will operate at average download speed ranges from 450-800 Kbps with peak rates up to 3.1 Mbps, and at average upload speeds of 300-400 Kbps with peak rates up to 1.8 Mbps in Mobile Broadband (EVDO Rev A) coverage areas.

More Treo 800w: Enable RevA Upload increase

Of course people flew into a tither but in reality, a lot of did not see any increase in our download speeds (via Mobile BBR)--in fact, a few people have experienced some odd behavior with it checked (mostly because they didn't choose "Automatic").

Step in kaptainchump who decided to check upload speeds and sure enough...that's the difference.

Without the "Rev A" box checked, upload speeds cap at around 120kbps. When enabled, you easily and consistently hit up in the mid 300kbps range (that'd be doubling your upload speeds in case you didn't notice).
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Hey i did this hack and got my phone replaced for free. btw when i did this hack, i stopped getting texts and vm notifications, gps stopped working and eventually killed the radio. that doesn't mean that this hack caused it, but the radio went dead about a week after. i didn't try the work around posted either.

just my 2 cents
    Changing an option already provided through the front end user interface system options is not a "hack".

Doing something that is not provided through the already available user interface system options would be a hack. Like if you edited the system registry.
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Changing an option already provided through the front end user interface system options is not a "hack".

Doing something that is not provided through the already available user interface system options would be a hack. Like if you edited the system registry.
    Editing the system registry voids your warranty as per HTC and Palm. Those are often called "registry hacks" too (not to mention the registry isn't "already available" to the user in stock config).

And technically the ## options are considered programming menus, they're not designed for the user. There are some ## menu's that can cause serious problems.

Anything not designed with the user in mind could loosely be called "hack". It's more appropriately a "system tweak", but now you're getting into semantics.
    Really, if you edit the registry and Palm claims it created a permanent problem in the device, that would void the warranty. If you can hard or RTN reset back to the factory config and things are OK Palm and HTC won't void the warranty. Their warranty language speaks of problems created by such changes, but just performing the change does not void the warranty if you can put things back as they were before and the device has no issues caused by those registry edits. Palm and HTC engineers warn that registry edits void the warranty because if a registry edit damages the device the warranty is void. But the actual warranty language, which is really what counts, speaks of cases where changes damage the device.

Hardware changes which can't be undone will void the warranty as well. There is no way to bring the device back to its original factory hardware configuration once certain hardware changes are performed. Like adding a humpback extended life battery is a hardware change that can be undone, but if the humpback battery damages the device the warranty is void. Cracking open the device and burning out the ear piece grill is a permanent unauthorized alteration.
    you guys need to quit. TC is not about correcting everyones mistakes. it doesn't freaking matter.

the best part of TC, unlike many other fourms out there, is... we're all one big happy family. remember? Come on buddies.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    you guys need to quit. TC is not about correcting everyones mistakes. it doesn't freaking matter.

the best part of TC, unlike many other fourms out there, is... we're all one big happy family. remember? Come on buddies.
    OK, well lighten up buddy. This thread was rather silent till you brought it back up with an effort of correction of your own .
    ... we're all one big happy family. remember?
    Well the "family" has gone a little bit psycho since you've been away Cody, heheh.

No offense guys, not singling out anyone or any side in particular, just the general atmosphere (I also noticed that nsx earned himself a ban).
    psyco is an understatement. lol. i still love TC.

i missed the nsx thing. darn it, i love to watch those. any links?

back on topic.... if i am correct here with what i have read from this long thread, if i enable the REV A, my phone will start missing calls. this then requires the sci change, which will then start draining the battery. if all this becomes a problem and i want to "go back", i cant just undo what i have done, but have to do an RTN to start over. correct?

wont a hardreset be enough?
    Despite whatever problems my 800ws had, I always kept the Rev A box checked and never missed any calls from slow ring. (I mean when the device was not dead. Of course during the times they would die I could not receive anything including calls.) I think the key is that you'll have to test after checking the box and then decide what you'll do from there if you find checking the box creates a problem with your device getting calls quickly.
  13.    #153  
    psyco is an understatement. lol. i still love TC.

i missed the nsx thing. darn it, i love to watch those. any links?

back on topic.... if i am correct here with what i have read from this long thread, if i enable the REV A, my phone will start missing calls. this then requires the sci change, which will then start draining the battery. if all this becomes a problem and i want to "go back", i cant just undo what i have done, but have to do an RTN to start over. correct?

wont a hardreset be enough?
    I've checked and unchecked it, no problems.

This changes a setting in the NV portion of the ROM. In other words, yeah, gotta do an RTN reset to undo it.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I got 972 kbit/sec on a 1MB download.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I got 972 kbit/sec on a 1MB download.
    Again:

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Rev. A doesn't really effect download much (if at all). It's upload that it effects, and there's not a good upload test for mobile devices that I've found yet.
    I love reading these threads it's like burning the candle @ both ends. We try as hard as we can to improve our 800's maybe bend the rules a little bit & gripe because we can't do more. I love this site! & now that I know how I'll always have Rev A. 2 please.
    Wow after I checked the option I get 700+kbps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Gotta love Palm's support:
    Martin > Hello Ebag333, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Martin. How may I help you?
    Martin > Hello.
    Ebag333 > I had a question about the 800w, it supports Rev. A, correct?
    Martin > I understand that you need information whether 800w supports Rev A.
    Ebag333 > correct.
    Martin > I will be glad to assist you.
    Martin > Yes,you it supports. But you need to use a third party software to use is successfully.
    Martin > However,I will provide you the link which will have more information.
    Martin > Please go through the link given below.
    Martin > link was here
    Martin > Let me know whether you are able to follow the information givenin the above link.
    Ebag333 > Rev. A has nothing to do with Mac's.....
    Ebag333 > I don't suppose you have an e-mail or phone number for an engineer, someone who understands the more technical aspects of the phone?
    Martin > Could you be more specific on Rev A?
    Martin > I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused to you.
    Martin > I will try my best to assist you.
    Ebag333 > I can't really be more specific about Rev. A. It's like if you said "The phone has a keyboard" and I asked you to be more specific.
    Ebag333 > Rev. A is the revision to EVDO however
    Ebag333 > mostly focusing on upload speeds but with lower latency and higher burst capabilities
    Ebag333 > link was here Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ebag333 > I just want to be able to discuss this with someone who is familiar with it, and I have a feeling you're not (not that many people are ).
    Martin > I am sorry,I will try my best to assist you.
    Ebag333 > I understand that you're trying your best, and it's not a normal question that an end user would ask. I just have reason to believe that Rev. A may be partially disabled, as per the information in the NV. And I think it's probably something that's a bit more complex than you typically deal with, which is why I'm hoping I can get the e-mail of an engineer or QA type person....
    Martin > We do not have any access to provide you to our engineer team or our Level 2.However,i suggest you to contact our Voice Support to provide you with the more information.
    Martin > I need to create a service request for you to contact our Voice Support to avail a free support.
    Ebag333 > That's okay
    Ebag333 > Thanks for your time.
    I'm sorry for bringing up an old post, but my first thought was that this CSR just failed the Turing test.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678