View Poll Results: Was the Rev. A box checked for you (##EVDO#)?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was checked.

8 7.92%
  • No, it was not.

93 92.08%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
    It enables or disables Rev A.
    You would think it would be that obvious, makes sense to me, but when people here are swearing that the "Sprint engineers" assure us it's enabled out of the box even with the box unchecked, that's what makes me wonder.

The poll shows 93% had theirs unchecked, I didn't vote but mine was unchecked also. I left it that way, didn't want to screw something else up.
    Especially when you're only getting 4-500kbps on speedtests, you start to wonder if Rev A is really enabled out of the box.

I finally decided to try the WiFi on my 800w while at the house and do a speed test while hooked into the cable connection at the house. I was excpecting something like 1.2Mbps like other people have got. But, instead I got:

~110kbps....repeatedly! I re-ran the test many times and it was always around 100kpbs. I was like what the........

How on earth could the WiFi connection be slower on the speedtest than the EVDO?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anubisni View Post
    How on earth could the WiFi connection be slower on the speedtest than the EVDO?
    Powersave mode for the WiFi actually affects the speed quite a bit. Speedtests were slower on WiFi vs EVDO for me until I disabled that.
    Samsung N400->Treo 600->Treo 650->Samsung A900m->Treo 800w
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by anubisni View Post
    Turn off power saving mode.
    Ahhh good find, I didn't know this! It's faster now but still not what it should be. Wifi speed test on http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed is getting around 7-800kbps. I have an 8Mbps cable connection thru the Wifi so that's a little concerning.

As soon as I get a chance it's to the Sprint store...I'm pretty sure I have a defective radio. I'll report back after I swap it out.
    When I check the Rev A checkbox, tether to my laptop, and do a speed check via Speakeasy ( http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ) I clearly get about a 4X improvement in upload speed. That's along with a 10 - 20% increase in download performance. Any reason why Sprint/Palm doesn't have Rev A turned on by default?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Also guys where do I find this checkbox?

I have heard some here post that they believe checking it made their radio go out and made battery performance drop substantially.
    From the dialpad, dial ##EVDO# (that is, ##3836#). You will then see a screen with the EVDO settings.

Quote Originally Posted by kevink View Post
    When I check the Rev A checkbox, tether to my laptop, and do a speed check via Speakeasy ( http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ) I clearly get about a 4X improvement in upload speed. That's along with a 10 - 20% increase in download performance. Any reason why Sprint/Palm doesn't have Rev A turned on by default?

Thanks,

Kevin
    dslreports:
    unchecked- 744kbps
    checked- 855kbps

mobilespeedtest:
    unchecked- 826.10kbps
    checked- 895.50kbps

I have no idea what the up speeds are.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I know if you get upload between 150 to 200 kbps or more, then you got Rev A.
    Checkbox unchecked (dslreports 400k file)
    95 kbit/sec (average)

Checkbox checked (dslreports 400k file)
    180 kbit/sec (average)

This brings up a whole new problem for me. I have never seen speeds anywhere close to 600-1400 kbit/sec speeds. I definitely am in a rev A enabled area according to sprints website. Also, I have full bars service bars when I test it. One thing that might be effecting it is that I live in a different city now than where my phone number is from. The default primary HA address is 255.255.255.255 and the secondary HA address is not the address where I currently live. The address that is listed is from the location linked to my phone number. I have changed the secondary address to match the closest city that I am in and still have no luck seeing speeds higher than 2 or 3 hundred kbit/sec. Do I need to do a soft reset before these changes will take place? If anyone out there can help me it would greatly be appreciated. I am at a loss and have no more ideas as to why I don't see faster speeds. Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Checkbox unchecked (dslreports 400k file)
    95 kbit/sec (average)

Checkbox checked (dslreports 400k file)
    180 kbit/sec (average)

This brings up a whole new problem for me. I have never seen speeds anywhere close to 600-1400 kbit/sec speeds. I definitely am in a rev A enabled area according to sprints website. Also, I have full bars service bars when I test it. One thing that might be effecting it is that I live in a different city now than where my phone number is from. The default primary HA address is 255.255.255.255 and the secondary HA address is not the address where I currently live. The address that is listed is from the location linked to my phone number. I have changed the secondary address to match the closest city that I am in and still have no luck seeing speeds higher than 2 or 3 hundred kbit/sec. Do I need to do a soft reset before these changes will take place? If anyone out there can help me it would greatly be appreciated. I am at a loss and have no more ideas as to why I don't see faster speeds. Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light.
    Sometimes it is just the tower you are using. If twice as many people connect to the same tower, the speeds are going to halve. You are probably just on a slow tower or on a slow network. Where I live, I can't get any faster than 700 kbps. I have talked to Sprint about it, and they inform me that the network is just at that point of capacity.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
  13.    #133  
    Change your primary HA, and you can get *MUCH* better results.

I get significantly faster speeds when I'm on a west coast server, than when I'm on a midwest one.
    Ebag is right, some HA's are really slow, try another primary. I just ran a dslreports speedtest and got 1118 kbits/sec download.
    I tried another primary with no appreciable difference. I might not have the correct addresses for each location. The following is the list I am using.

68.28.49.76 San Jose, CA Area 1
    68.28.49.77 San Jose, CA Area 1
    68.28.57.76 Anaheim, CA Area 1
    68.28.57.77 San Jose, CA Area 7 (possible DNS config issue, likely Anaheim)
    68.28.81.76 Kansas City, KS Area 2
    68.28.81.77 Kansas City, KS Area 2(could be Omaha)
    68.28.89.76 Kansas City, MO Area 2
    68.28.89.77 Kansas City, MO Area 2
    68.28.113.76 Pennsauken, NJ Area 3
    68.28.113.77 Pennsauken, NJ Area 3
    68.28.121.76 New York, NY Area 3
    68.28.121.77 New York, NY Area 3
    68.28.145.76 Chicago, IL Area 4
    68.28.145.77 Chicago, IL Area 4
    68.28.153.76 Roachdale, IN Area 4
    68.28.153.77 Roachdale, IN Area 4
    68.28.177.76 Fort Worth, TX Area 7
    68.28.177.77 Kansas City, KS Area 5 (possible DNS config issue, likely Ft. Worth)
    68.28.185.76 Atlanta, GA Area 5
    68.28.185.77 Atlanta, GA Area 5(speedtest.net says in Houston)
    68.28.241.76 Relay, MD Area 7
    68.28.241.77 Relay, MD Area 7(speedtest.net says in Florida)
    68.28.249.76 Atlanta, GA Area 7
    68.28.249.77 Atlanta, GA Area 7

Also, does it matter the browser I am using? As a test, I am using pocket internet explorer but I also have skyfire, opera mobile and opera mini. What is the browser that you are all using to see speeds in the 600-1400 kbit/sec range? All of the configurations I have tried with changing the primary and secondary HA, checking and unchecking the EVDO Rev A box, I still have not seen speeds over 500 kbit/sec. This is also in multiple major cities around the nation that definitely have an evdo network. My conclusion that it is the browser but cannot be for sure. Skyfire does not seem to like the website dslreports.com/mspeed, opera mobile gets about the same as PIE, and opera mini cannot find a file large enough to get a test (but then again that is the whole point of opera mini).

Also, I have since unchecked the box for EVDO Rev A. The reason being is that I found now way to guarantee phone calls to come through. I made sure the force broadband was not selected and still had trouble receiving calls. It could have just been a coincidence that the network was messing up at the exact time I was testing but I had someone call me a couple times and I received no calls and it went straight to voicemail multiple times.
  16.    #136  
    If I were you I'd try a RTN (factory) reset. A Sprint tech can walk you through it. It's a hard reset where you also have to reprovision your phone.

I'm not sure if an RTN reset will reset the Rev A checkbox. I know that I and a lot of other people have checked this box with no network issues, but other people have reported some (which doesn't really make sense...).

Anyway, I'd do an RTN reset then check the box. check your speeds from a stock setting, and see if it makes a difference.

Also, note that Rev A primarily addresses upload and latency. It wasn't designed to address download specifically.
  17.    #137  
    UPDATE:

Thanks to Malatesta I beleve we have a fix for those of you who have been missing calls/texts after enabling Rev A!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174963

If you've been missing calls, or had short rings before going to voicemail, take a look at his tweak.
    Thanks for the update. That seems like something I might try regardless of this other issue. I'm not sure if the problem I had when I had the checkbox checked was related to pinging the tower because it would go straight to voicemail. I don't exactly know for sure though.

UPDATE:

I am currently where my phone number is from and am seeing speeds averaging around 800 kbit/sec using PIE (same browser I was using in previous testing). It appears that I am not getting the correct addresses for my HA or editing these values has no effect on which tower your phone looks for. I live in Dallas but my original phone number is not from there. I was trying to use an address for Fort Worth being closer than where I am from but it did not work back as I expected back in Dallas. I was still hovering around the 100-200 kbit/sec range when switching my addresses. I am going to test different values when I get back to Dallas and see if I can acheive better results.

Also, is it best to edit just your primary HA? Just secondary HA? Primary and secondary HA? Does this really effect what tower the phone looks for or is there some other place that needs to be edited before the phone will actually follow those addresses?

One last thing. I tested briefly with having the checkbox and not having the checkbox checked and from initial testing it appears I am seeing better speeds not having the checkbox checked. I will be here for a few more days so I should be able to conduct a few more test cases and list some averages.

Thanks for your guys help. It really is appreciated.
    Try 255.255.255.255 in both primary and secondary and see what you get
    Also you can try 0.0.0.0 in both and run a speed test.
    Last edited by jimh2000; 12/25/2008 at 01:08 AM.
    BTW, my fastest, most consistant speeds are with the 0.0.0.0 setting in both primary and secondary HA's
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast