View Poll Results: Was the Rev. A box checked for you (##EVDO#)?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was checked.

8 7.92%
  • No, it was not.

93 92.08%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Here is my before:

And after:

I did have a great signal during the test (full bars) and according to the map, I live in a rev a area.
    If someone is able to make a "DIAG/STATUS" port from the phone, we could use mobilink (a software from Novatel) to tell if you are on Rev A or Rev 0.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    I just did ##DATA# and my primary HA is 255.255.255.255 and secondary is 68.28.113.76 which is Pennsauken, NJ Area 3. I am in Hawaii, could this be reason I'm not getting Rev A speeds?? Does it even use the secondary HA? I'm thinking of getting the MSL and trying out some different HAs. Does this work the same way it does on the data cards?
    I am having trouble getting the MSL code to be able to modify my HA settings. I tried the PPC utility that converts the hex esn into the MSL code but it says invalid code. Has anyone got this to work, or do we have to call Sprint to get it?
    this hack stopped my text messages from coming through!
    are you talking about ##EVDO# ? make sure you don't accidentally choose "force broadband"...make sure you leave it on automatic.
    In Waianae, 144kbit/sec, 0.538s latency with the "big" file. Rev A is not enabled.
    Wow that's pretty slow, that's like EDGE slow....I'd be pissed. I'm just terribly disappointed in the EVDO speed on my 800w (400kbps). I was able to get 400kbps with my 700w on Verizon here in Hawaii and that wasn't even Rev A capable, can anyone explain this?

It's almost like Sprint is forcibly speed throttling my 800w. I wanted to experiment with changing the Home Agent with ##DATA# but GetSPC doesn't work on the 800w and after calling Sprint support several times they refuse to give me the MRL unlock code. Guess it's back into the Sprint store for me....ughhhh
    Guys DO NOT check the Rev. A box! I hang out at my Buddy's Sprint store all the time. This mod is a radio killer. Rev. A is already enabled without messing with that check box. The symptoms are not receiving texts, calls, emails, etc. It may not happen right away but it will. In 2 weeks half the 800 returns were radio related. Leave that box alone.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Guys DO NOT check the Rev. A box! I hang out at my Buddy's Sprint store all the time. This mod is a radio killer. Rev. A is already enabled without messing with that check box. The symptoms are not receiving texts, calls, emails, etc. It may not happen right away but it will. In 2 weeks half the 800 returns were radio related. Leave that box alone.
    1) You don't even have an 800w anymore.
    2) I along with many people have enabled it without issue.
    3) That box is buried and it's highly unlikely that the general public would know what it is, how to get there, or enable it. If what you say is true, that in 2 weeks half the 800w returns were radio related, it would have nothing to do with that box, unless you somehow expect me to believe that the general populace suddenly because uber users, or that every one of those was a TC member.

This mod isn't a radio killer, and it does appear to lower latency and increase upload speeds. Download speeds it does not seem to effect much (if at all). All that fits with what we know of Rev A.

If you try it, do so at your own risk (of course). But I have a hard time believing that this sole checkbox is the cause of all the 800w's problems.
    It doesn't matter that I don't have an 800. I'm only trying to help. The 800 is Rev. A enabled out of the box. Call or email Palm Tech Support and they will tell you. I'm not trying to have a E-war about it just relaying from my findings from hanging out with Sprint Tech Reps. Let me word it like this then. Radio issues MAY occur with this box checked. The symptoms of this MAY be not receiving inbound/outbound calls or messages. In some cases where the radio issue occured it MAY not return back to default after the box is unchecked . In this instance you MAY need a new device if a hard reset does not fix this. Like mentioned check or uncheck this box at your own risk.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    If Rev A is enabled out of the box, then I must have got a defective 800w from the start, because I've never seen higher speeds than my 700w was able to get. I just did a hard reset and still getting the same speeds.

I'm going to the Sprint Store to swap it out...
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My download speed seems pretty good, but shouldn't I be getting a bit more upload? I assume the ping time I got still puts me in RevA territory, correct?

(BTW: WMWifiRouter is awesome.)
    Samsung N400->Treo 600->Treo 650->Samsung A900m->Treo 800w
    Yeah, but I do not download anything large other than Excel spreadsheets and such, uploads are on the job pictures and spreadsheets. So I am ok with it. I did the check box Rev A shortly after I got the phone and noticed the battery life crapped it where I was at (Makaha Valley) and have not played with it since. I also have heard the nasty rumors associated with the box.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisni View Post
    Wow that's pretty slow, that's like EDGE slow....I'd be pissed. I'm just terribly disappointed in the EVDO speed on my 800w (400kbps). I was able to get 400kbps with my 700w on Verizon here in Hawaii and that wasn't even Rev A capable, can anyone explain this?

It's almost like Sprint is forcibly speed throttling my 800w. I wanted to experiment with changing the Home Agent with ##DATA# but GetSPC doesn't work on the 800w and after calling Sprint support several times they refuse to give me the MRL unlock code. Guess it's back into the Sprint store for me....ughhhh
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    A friend of mine, who is a Sprint Solutions Engineer, also said the 800w is Rev.A enabled out of the box. I get varied responses with it enabled anyways, so I just left it as unchecked by default. Besides, my GPS stopped working when I enabled it, which is another reason I left it unchecked.

If you are not getting Rev.A speeds, it could also be the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    A friend of mine, who is a Sprint Solutions Engineer, also said the 800w is Rev.A enabled out of the box. I get varied responses with it enabled anyways, so I just left it as unchecked by default. Besides, my GPS stopped working when I enabled it, which is another reason I left it unchecked.

If you are not getting Rev.A speeds, it could also be the network.
    You are correct and good call with your own device.

Also you have to look at it this way. Do you really think Sprint wants people to ask for their MSL codes so they can mess with those check boxes? There is no way Palm nor Sprint wants customers to edit these type of features. It is enabled out of the box. Obviously speeds depend if your area has Rev. A.

Wow, i get about 250 kb/s for download and 135 kb/s upload speed. My old 700p got about 1000 kb/s. I am doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure i'm in Rev. A. Milwaukee.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    A friend of mine, who is a Sprint Solutions Engineer, also said the 800w is Rev.A enabled out of the box. I get varied responses with it enabled anyways, so I just left it as unchecked by default.
    I'm curious, what exactly is the purpose of the check box next to Rev A? If it's enabled out of the box, what function does checking the box serve? Why is it even there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I'm curious, what exactly is the purpose of the check box next to Rev A? If it's enabled out of the box, what function does checking the box serve? Why is it even there?
    Not sure. Maybe someone from Palm R&D might know. All we can do is just speculate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    It enables or disables Rev A.

With it unchecked I get a max 130k upload, with it checked I get upwards of 400k upload. Download doesn't change one way or the other.

Had it checked on all 3 of my phones now since ebag first discovered it, no problems with calls, emails, or texts. Just better upload speeds.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast