View Poll Results: Was the Rev. A box checked for you (##EVDO#)?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was checked.

8 7.92%
  • No, it was not.

93 92.08%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Previos speed before I checked the box was 381 and after I checked it was 673.
    Tried to get into the settings but after typing in ##Evdo# I get "Failed TILUtilReadNVItem" and a "Error: Could not retrieve current service mode"

Could it be that I'm not in a EVDO area right now?

Edit: Nevermind... Got the screen to come up... Just didnt hit the green send button.
    Last edited by mbw163; 07/18/2008 at 11:20 AM.
    I haven't changed the setting and see about 800kbps consistently (Indy Metro area).

If you really want to know if you're getting Rev. A, look at latency. If you're seeing under about .35sec, that's Rev. A.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    well it was the weirdest thing. I went and soft reset and i changed the rev A a couple of times and didn't do anything...and then the last time i did it..it now allows me to receive phone calls...weird...who knows
    Same thing here...I've been playing with this since last night...no improvement in speeds with Rev A (though I am supposedly in the Rev A area) and in fact the speeds consistently went down. I did receive a call this morning, but the rest of the day I did not. It was only when I made a call that the phone would notify me I had a voicemail.

Since I had no improvement, I went in and unchecked the box, reset and now I get calls....

Any ideas regarding why it would not receive calls OR why I cannot get over 400kbs with or without Rev A on would be appreciated. I figure over the net few weeks much of this stuff will get a thorough review and some fixes should start to materialize.

Thanks.
  5.    #45  
    Gotta love Palm's support:

Martin > Hello Ebag333, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Martin. How may I help you?
    Martin > Hello.
    Ebag333 > I had a question about the 800w, it supports Rev. A, correct?
    Martin > I understand that you need information whether 800w supports Rev A.
    Ebag333 > correct.
    Martin > I will be glad to assist you.
    Martin > Yes,you it supports. But you need to use a third party software to use is successfully.
    Martin > However,I will provide you the link which will have more information.
    Martin > Please go through the link given below.
    Martin > http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...Case=obj(40913)
    Martin > Let me know whether you are able to follow the information givenin the above link.
    Ebag333 > Rev. A has nothing to do with Mac's.....
    Ebag333 > I don't suppose you have an e-mail or phone number for an engineer, someone who understands the more technical aspects of the phone?
    Martin > Could you be more specific on Rev A?
    Martin > I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused to you.
    Martin > I will try my best to assist you.
    Ebag333 > I can't really be more specific about Rev. A. It's like if you said "The phone has a keyboard" and I asked you to be more specific.
    Ebag333 > Rev. A is the revision to EVDO however
    Ebag333 > mostly focusing on upload speeds but with lower latency and higher burst capabilities
    Ebag333 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO#TIA-856_Rev_A
    Ebag333 > I just want to be able to discuss this with someone who is familiar with it, and I have a feeling you're not (not that many people are ).
    Martin > I am sorry,I will try my best to assist you.
    Ebag333 > I understand that you're trying your best, and it's not a normal question that an end user would ask. I just have reason to believe that Rev. A may be partially disabled, as per the information in the NV. And I think it's probably something that's a bit more complex than you typically deal with, which is why I'm hoping I can get the e-mail of an engineer or QA type person....
    Martin > We do not have any access to provide you to our engineer team or our Level 2.However,i suggest you to contact our Voice Support to provide you with the more information.
    Martin > I need to create a service request for you to contact our Voice Support to avail a free support.
    Ebag333 > That's okay
    Ebag333 > Thanks for your time.
    I went from 1368kbit/sec to 1456kbit/sec. Not bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2eze View Post
    I went from 1368kbit/sec to 1456kbit/sec. Not bad
    lol, at 1368kbit/sec...you were already at RevA and I don't believe you witnessed a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Gotta love Palm's support:
    In fairness, these are basic level Tech support people...they help you set up email and tell you how to turn it on or off, not answer stuff about advanced GPS or hidden programming menus and Rev A, lol

These levels require their engineers to answer and you won't get them in a Tech Support chat room ;-)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lol, at 1368kbit/sec...you were already at RevA and I don't believe you witnessed a change.
    Maybe I was, but my box was not checked. Before this post i max out at 1521.
    Ok I tested this-

I live in an apt that gets 1 bar at best, as a heads up.

It appears that when you select "force EVDO", you aren't able to receive calls.
    Before with 1 bar (and I'm in a Rev A area, Hollywood CA), I would get about 90 KB/S. With Forced/REV A checked, I get about 200 KB/Sec. With Automatic/REV A checked, I get about 200 KB/Sec.

It may be too early to tell, but appears to have an impact on your ability to receive voice calls- I was able to again when I switched back to automatic.

Definitely something I am going to test when I'm in an area w/ good coverage. Typically near Downtown I will get around 500 KB/S...
    Anyone not receiving txt messages once you checked to enable Rev A?

UPDATE: Thanks Rhody, saigon, waytoodeep03! Putting it back to Automatic did the trick, received all the days sms messages soon after! I must of selected Force Broadband by pressing the down button to get to the Rev A check box.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 07/19/2008 at 10:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I got into an argument with my girlfriend last night about why I wasn't returning her calls. I had her call me while we were sitting right next to one another and my phone didn't ring. It went right to voicemail. I went back in to unchecked the enable Rev.A box and I noticed that it was set ot force broadband. I must have scrolled past it and it stuck there. I set it to automatic and unchecked the enable Rev.A box and she tried again... call went right through!

I don't know if it was the force broadband or the enable Rev.A, but one of those settings was preventing me from getting calls, texts, and voicemails.
    You guys that are having issues with the Force Broadband. You gotta CLICK the first one then TOUCH the checkbox. You can't scroll to the checkbox or it will choose the Force Broadband issue. If you have already done that, then I apologize..
    Seems like the problem is under the ##EVDO#. When I set it to "force broadband" i dont get texts but if I set it to automatic or disable broadband I get all my texts on time.

Curious if anyone else experienced this
    Quote Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 View Post
    Seems like the problem is under the ##EVDO#. When I set it to "force broadband" i dont get texts but if I set it to automatic or disable broadband I get all my texts on time.

Curious if anyone else experienced this
    You overlooked Saigon's post...
    You guys that are having issues with the Force Broadband. You gotta CLICK the first one then TOUCH the checkbox. You can't scroll to the checkbox or it will choose the Force Broadband issue. If you have already done that, then I apologize..
    Today 08:53 AM

Basically, make sure you select AUTOMATIC and check the box Enable Rev. A.
    Quote Originally Posted by saigon View Post
    When I set Rev A in Automatic, it is also checked in Force Broadband....I cannot just have it checked in Automatic without it appearing checked in Force...

Regarding text and calls, I cannot get either if Rev A is selected.
    Quote Originally Posted by AS329 View Post
    When I set Rev A in Automatic, it is also checked in Force Broadband....I cannot just have it checked in Automatic without it appearing checked in Force...

Regarding text and calls, I cannot get either if Rev A is selected.
    That's odd cause on my phone, when it's checked on one, it's checked on both also but I receive calls and texts perfectly fine. Maybe go to a Sprint store and get it swapped out? I don't know how much that feature means to you but it is an advertised feature and you should get what you paid for.
    That's odd cause on my phone, when it's checked on one, it's checked on both also but I receive calls and texts perfectly fine. Maybe go to a Sprint store and get it swapped out? I don't know how much that feature means to you but it is an advertised feature and you should get what you paid for.
    I'd like it to work, but at this point not worth a swap. Maybe I'll drop by the Sprint store and see what they have to say about it. I figure with the resources on boards like this, if there is a fix, someone will come up with it soon.
    does anyone know how this affects battery life?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    all, does any one see any indicator beyond download speed? I have seen it change from EV to 1X But never to DOA which I Believe is EVDO Rev A
    All right, I did this, and didn't even highlight, touch, or look at the force broadband...and it seems that I can get calls, text, email and send all as well. I am not in a Rev A area at home, so I'll check that out when I can in the next couple days. My speeds up here still top out around 400...
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast