Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I've searched for answers about this, but the threads I found didn't seem to quite answer what I want. (or at least I didn't understand them well enough).

I think I'm going to go after the 800W tomorrow, but I am unable to get more than the $75 off from Sprint that comes with being under the 2 year mark.

If I go ahead and go in store and purchase the 800W, and take the $75 off when I sign the 2 year agreement, do I ALSO get to send in a rebate for ANOTHER $100 off.

Is that rebate (listed here: http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...mir_090108.pdf)
    one that will work for me?

Essentially, will I be able to (eventually...once rebate clears) get $175 off the ($600) price of the phone?

I'm just trying to figure out my finances to see if I am planning ahead correctly.

My current plan (in case that is needed)? I pay $35 a month on the SERO 500 plan.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

K--
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Ok I was up for my $75 upgrade on my SERO 500 as well. After a few emails to ecare I got no where except an extra $75 off. Well that was still one expensive phone for me. So today I called Telesales and asked them what was the best they could do for me. He came back with $350 then $250 with mail in rebate. So hopefully my rebate will go through and I will have gotten it for $250 which is pretty good to me. I think you have a much better chance on a good price through telesales as opposed to a store. I seem to always have better luck with them, they seem to find ways to give you more discounts then the guys in store. How long have you been with Sprint? Only a year? That might not get you much either. I have only had this line active for a year but they were able to look at my account and see that I had been an actual customer since 2003 so that probably helped me out some.
    Best of luck. I think they are going for $430+ on ebay so if Sprint doesn't do better than that with a contract renewal I would go with ebay.
    Yes you get both and that is the rebate, BUT you may find this thread interesting (especially post #9 and #10)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=contract

Basically, you call telesales and ask for the "new customer pricing" ($350-$100 mail in rebate) right off the bat without really going into your contract details. They may surprise you and say yes, as reported by others in a contract.

I would do this first, and if you don't feel like waiting for it to be mailed, call your local sprint store and then ask them if they'll match telesales offer. I have had the store honor items promised by telesales. Just have the telesales folks write the offer it in the notes so you can "think about it" and then call the store. If they say no, then call telesales back and order it.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Been to that thread. Actually had it bookmarked and up on the screen when I called Telesales...THREE TIMES.

I tried three different times/ways to get a better price from telesales. I got nowhere. I tried just flat out asking for the "new customer pricing" when I called , I tried asking "what's the best you can offer me", and the final time I said, "I would like the $350 800w that I was offered the last time I called".

Nothing worked. Each time, I was told that $524 was a "hard number" that was completely "non-negotiable" (exact quote). On the final time I called when I said I was offered that price before, the lady wanted me to tell her who I spoke to because the information I receive was "false", and they needed to know who was saying that.

Sigh. Finally I just asked for retentions (last ditch effort) to see what they would do for me. Nothing. Same spiel as before...Hard number...can't negotiate it...blah blah blah. I tried pleading my case, but got nowhere.

Worst part? Technically, i've been with Sprint since like 1998 (had a pager with them back in the day...before cell phones). But in 1995, my wife had us switch to Verizon when our Sprint contract was up so that she could be "IN" with her sister. I didn't know much about phone deals at the time, and didn't bother to put up a fight. We went to Verizon for exactly TWO YEARS, and left as soon as our contract finished. Came back to Sprint. I told the Retentions lady that, too. She just gave me a "hmmmm...uh huh" response. She said all my old files were wiped when I left. I believe her, but that sucks.

Anyway. Since my "file" says I've only been a customer since early '07, they are fine with me "leaving". No attempt to retain.

I do do the "auto-pay" though. Never had a late bill or anything. But then again, no bill is over $75 (my wife and I both have SERO 500 lines). Guess that counts against me.

Long story short. I tried everything (multiple times) to get a better deal on the phone. Not in the cards for me.

K--
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I checked out the 800W's on Ebay. good prices.

If I get an Ebay phone, is it still possible to get the REBATE? Would I have to buy the phone AND extend my contract by TWO years? Is that what is required? Or does something on the rebate require that I buy from Sprint since I have to show a receipt?

Just curious.
    Thanks
    K--