1.    #1  
    Anybody else is suffering with the same problem?? I tether with my Treo 800w a lot so this bothers me a lot. Sometimes it seems like the USB cable doesn't charge or discharge the battery at all coz the battery level doesn't change, although the battery becomes really hot. Sometimes it even drains the battery. The wall charger seems fine.

Anybody knows what mAH consumed on the power setting page means? Mine is always negative. When I hook it up to my computer, it's like - 30000 something. Usually it's negative hundreds when I am not trying to charge it.

Thanks everybody.
    Last edited by leemaverickly; 07/17/2008 at 11:53 PM.
    Is the LED red when you plug in the USB cable? If not, try a different USB port. My laptop has 4 ports in various locations, and it only charges from one of them.

I thought this was strange since my USB hard drive works fine on all ports.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, it was red and I was actually tethering so activsync was on. This is really depressing, man.

What mAH do u get??

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Is the LED red when you plug in the USB cable? If not, try a different USB port. My laptop has 4 ports in various locations, and it only charges from one of them.

I thought this was strange since my USB hard drive works fine on all ports.
    Sounds suspiciously like a short or bad ground in the cable.

Check the plugs on both ends, and try a different cable.
  5.    #5  
    Hmm, it makes sense to me. I will drop by Sprint store tomorrow. Thanks for your help man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Sounds suspiciously like a short or bad ground in the cable.

Check the plugs on both ends, and try a different cable.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leemaverickly View Post
    Yeah, it was red and I was actually tethering so activsync was on. This is really depressing, man.

What mAH do u get??
    I'm using the 755 but I'd imagine that the same charitaristics apply to the 800...

tethering uses a lot of power. combine that with the fact that usb ports on your computer offer more of a "trickle" charge and its no suprise you're seeing battery drain even when connected. have you tried charging your phone via the sync cable when you weren't tethering? my 755 will show no charge increase, or even a decrease, when tethering but it will charge fine(slowly) off usb when I'm not tethering.
    I wonder if Palm disabled the charging and just made it sync ONLY cable. I know Palm disabled the charge on the USB sync cable with the 700wx, so maybe they did the same thing on the 800w sync cable. After all, the listed accessories for the 800w, according to Sprint's website states...

1. Standard Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery
    2. Battery Door
    3. AC Charger with Adapter
    4. MicroUSB Sync Cable
    5. Stereo Headset

The reason I suspect Palm may have disabled the charge on the cable is, I use one of these....

This allows you to plug in a USB cable at one end...

Using the standard sync cable that came from the box, I plugged it into my car's cigarette lighter outlet. I've been using my 800w all day, mostly web surfing and GPS navigation. I noticed the battery was getting low (17% full), so I kept it charged. After about 30 minutes, I looked at the battery meter and it was even lower (16% full).

Fortunately, I wasn't that far from home. I plugged it to the wall charger that came with the 800w and after about 15 minutes, it's now at about 30% full.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I wonder if Palm disabled the charging and just made it sync ONLY cable.....
    No - my USB cable charges just fine.
    OK. Looks worse than I thought. My phone was charging with the wall charger, but then somehow stopped and discharged my battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    OK. Looks worse than I thought. My phone was charging with the wall charger, but then somehow stopped and discharged my battery.

I had mine on the wall charger last night and with the Wifi on and connected found it discharged to 50% by morning. Something is not right with the power management on this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb View Post
    I had mine on the wall charger last night and with the Wifi on and connected found it discharged to 50% by morning. Something is not right with the power management on this phone.
    Not really.

The charger will charge at 1 amps @ 5v. Very small amount, but it's limited by USB specs. The only way around that is to switch to a propriatary connector, but that jumps the price of new chargers from $10 to $50, and it's not compatable. Want to go back to the Athena days?

Wifi + Radio + Bluetooth + GPS will use more than that.

Solution? Don't leave what you don't need on.
  12.    #12  
    Sprint sent me a new one. It's gonna be here tomorrow. I will compare to see if the new one does the same thing.
    I'm noticing strange things with the USB connector too. I'm thinking that the phone only charges when active sync is connected (i.e. the phone is also on and talking to active sync).

I'm sure one of these accessory providers is going to figure out the pinouts for the USB lighter/wall plug (like shown in an earlier picture). Hopefully, it will be a new cable, since I have that same charger that worked on my old phone (but not the treo 800w).

Wall charger was weird for me, seems that 1 out of 10 times I plug it in, the USB side of the wall charger isn't making a great connection. Definitely have to pay attention to the light.
    Last edited by unixvrules; 07/26/2008 at 03:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixvrules View Post
    I'm noticing strange things with the USB connector too. I'm thinking that the phone only charges when active sync is connected (i.e. the phone is also on and talking to active sync)..
    No. mine are charging fine from a usb hub disconnected from a computer and hocked to a standard usb min with a micro adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Not really.
    The charger will charge at 1 amps @ 5v. Very small amount, but it's limited by USB specs. The only way around that is to switch to a propriatary connector, but that jumps the price of new chargers from $10 to $50, and it's not compatable. Want to go back to the Athena days?
    Wifi + Radio + Bluetooth + GPS will use more than that.
    Solution? Don't leave what you don't need on.
    No usb spec is half an amp 500 ma @5v.

Now a days there many many portable and handheld devices (especially with larger screens) that have a high capacity charger delivering 1 to 1.2 mA over usb (mini and now increasingly micro) that also can be charged at 500 ma through your pc.

my 800w's will charge over 500 mA with all radio on, albiet much slower than 1 am.

My guess is those who are discharging at pc delivered 500 ma (actual*), even with all radios and screen on have a defect. a defective battery is most likely, second is a defective 5 volt rail on your pc, less likley is a bad cord, all other possibilities come a distant fourth.

I havent tried it with everything running browsing, gps, bluet, wifi, mp3's off the speaker, and I could be wrong, but I doubt the unit should pull over .4 amps.

Proprietary connectors on chargers can jump manufacturer prices as little as $0.10 since this can be done in hardeware with a short inside the micro head.

* some usb on pcs can limit amperage if other devices are on the same usb -- but this is off spec
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No. mine are charging fine from a usb hub disconnected from a computer and hocked to a standard usb min with a micro adapter.
    Interesting. I'll have to try that. My standard 800w cable sure ain't doing that -- Probably should try the setup you got going and see how that works with my lighter/power plug.

Thanks