Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I am a vzw customer, I really want a 800w. Is there a way (sneaky or not) to use the device on the VZW network?

thanks,

AC
    Last edited by aaronc_98; 07/17/2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: better title
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    If there was you would have read about it by now.
    You can if you know how to do an ESN swap.

Of course, if you need to ask this question, then the answer is probably not.
    I recall Verizon saying that any device, as long as it functions on their network and doesn't interfere with others, will be allowed (just don't expect them to service it for you). So, yes, they will let you bring non-Verizon phones over and no contract will be required since they didn't have to subsidize it. Call Verizon customer service for more details.
    It is EXREMELY unlikely that Verizon will allow a non-Verizon device on their network.

Their claims were largely to support their supposedly new "open" network.

There are a ton of hoops to jump through, all at your expense, and in the end they can still simply say no.

If you want to buy the 800w for cash ($600), mail it to Verizon, pay them to "test" it, and then get it back a couple months later....be my guest.
    theres another post on this... sum it up. no.
    As I said it's possible with an ESN swap.

Which is incredibly easy to do, if you know how to do it....

Hmm....any takers on an 800w for Verizon? Bidding starts at $600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    As I said it's possible with an ESN swap.

Which is incredibly easy to do, if you know how to do it....
    And you always find things in the last place you look for them Considering how antsy people get when just unlocking their phones or even disabling the certificate requirement...

Still. Would the trick of claiming that your current Verizon phone died and you got a new one off of ebay to replace it not work? And then claim it's a 700wx? Or would the ESN for it give it away? I'm new to this entire CDMA thing... (points down at history of phones)
    Last edited by bluemonq; 07/18/2008 at 12:31 AM.
    Siemens A56 > Samsung SGH-X426 > HTC Tornado > HTC Wizard > HTC Wizard + Sony Ericsson K800i > iPhone EDGE + Sony Ericsson K800i > RIM Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve > Palm Treo 800w > HTC Touch Diamond > HTC Touch Diamond + Palm Pre
    That is not what I meant by an ESN swap.

With your scenario, you have to talk Verizon into adding that ESN into their system.

With a true ESN swap what you're doing is taking the ESN off another phone (one that works on Verizon's network) and modfiying the 800w to use the ESN from that phone.

So your expenses would be:

1) $600 for the phone (assuming Sprint/Palm lets you pay the "retail" price. I believe Sprint lists the un-subsidized price at $799, which you may have to pay, or sign up for a contract and break it, and pay the ETF...of course then you're paying $250 for the phone plus $200 for the ETF, so you actually come out ahead.)
    2) Pay for a (hopefully cheap) phone that works on Verizon's network.
    3) Pay for someone to do the swap if you can't do it yourself.
    4) Do the ESN swap (or pay someone to do it).
    5) Use your 800w on Verizon's network.

Now a couple of things to note.

1) I've never done an ESN swap on an 800w. I have on a 700wx, so this is all based on my knowledge of that.
    2) You may be breaking federal laws by doing an ESN swap.
    3) You're almost certainly breaking your contract's terms of services with Verizon.

Probably not worth it to skip a 2-6 month (my guess, not based on anything) wait.
    Yeah, I know what you meant by that; hence the comment about people already antsy about doing something as siimple as a phone unlock. One thing that occurred to me: you said that it would probably break the TOS. I wonder if they would charge you an ETF in that case. If not, we may have just found a way to get out of Verizon contracts if you can ESN swap a really cheap phone
    Siemens A56 > Samsung SGH-X426 > HTC Tornado > HTC Wizard > HTC Wizard + Sony Ericsson K800i > iPhone EDGE + Sony Ericsson K800i > RIM Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve + Sony Ericsson K800i > Palm Treo 800w + Blackberry Curve > Palm Treo 800w > HTC Touch Diamond > HTC Touch Diamond + Palm Pre
    Er, I'm not sure why having a cheap phone would get you out of the Verizon contract.....?
    esn swap using cheap phones might be cheaper than the $200 ETF, and if you get caught breaking the TOS they might terminate service without charging you the ETF. at least, I was under the impression that the people who had gone over the 5GB cap repeatedly had their service terminated - without ETF - for breaking TOS.
    Years ago, I bought a Kyocera 7135 from an Alltel store (paid full price....had to have it) and I DID activate it on VZW. However, they've probably changed their policy. I guess the only way to know for sure is to call them and ask them.....
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    Years ago, I bought a Kyocera 7135 from an Alltel store (paid full price....had to have it) and I DID activate it on VZW. However, they've probably changed their policy. I guess the only way to know for sure is to call them and ask them.....
    You can't do that anymore. Some years ago Verizon stopped allowing ESN swaps for phones they didn't sell, and they maintain a database of ESNs that can be activated. If you had a phone that had been activated prior to the switchover, you were grandfathered in, but once you swapped away from the phone you could never go back. I remember the day I gave up my Verizon-converted Sprint SE-T608 with mixed feelings.