1.    #1  
    WTF is going on here? Is Sprint working with sites to not show streaming content to these phones?

I am a daily listener to the many streams found on

http://m.npr.org

But I can now confirm that while all of the (stream) hyperlinks scattered throughout the site show up just fine on the 700wx when it was my activated phone, and even now with my Mogul using WiFi, no (stream) hyperlinks are visible anywhere on the site.

Similarly, there is currently a "Today's Top Video" link on the first page of

http://mobile.reuters.com

when accessed with my Mogul via wifi. Yet, again, no streaming video link for the exact same URL on the 800w. What the hell?

Finally,

http://w.cnn.com

No links to video anywhere on the page when I hit it with the 800w. Video links all over when I hit it with the Mogul.

Okay this is unacceptable. I suspect there is some small info in the PIE user agent that is telling these sites to hide that content? Anyone know where that's set in the registry so I can compare?
  2.    #2  
    Fixed.

Here's how to fix this idiocy. It really pisses me off that Sprint tried to limit bandwidth usage by working with partners to not show streaming audio or video for it.

Anyway, get a registry editor and navigate to

HKLM\Security\Internet Explorer\User Agent

Rename the existing value titled 'CustomBase' to simply 'Custom'.
    Open the key and change the value to 'Sprint:PPC6800'

Restart PIE.

All video/audio stream links now show up on NPR, Reuters and CNN for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco Jackson View Post
    Here's how to fix this idiocy. It really pisses me off that Sprint tried to limit bandwidth usage by working with partners to not show streaming audio or video for it.
    Sprint doesn't have enough pull with the content providers to do this. I will tell you what is happening:

Sites tend to use the user-agent to distinguish between which mobile clients are streaming video (or other features) capable and which are not. When you come in with the 800w user-agent, they just don't recognize this, so they serve up a generic page (which assumes you are not streaming video capable). The sites will eventually fix this, and until they do you'll have to play games with the user agent as you indicated.
    I believe you can also just change the Registry Key Name 'CustomBase' to 'Custom' (without the quotes) and it will also work without having to touch the value.
    nice explanation lalala (I agree) and nice fix Taco Jackson

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Fixed.

Restart PIE.

Will this possibly screw anything else up? I notice that 320x320 is specifically in the string right now, so I'm just a bit concerned that erasing that and replacing it with what I'm assuming is the string from the PPC 6800 might cause some issues down the line...??

Otherwise, I'm happy to do it because I like being able to have access to those streaming resources as well.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    Can someone please post the string that used to be there? So that we can refer back to it if we want/need?

The key at: HKLM\Security\Internet Explorer\User Agent
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ywenz View Post
    Can someone please post the string that used to be there? So that we can refer back to it if we want/need?

Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320)
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I believe you can also just change the Registry Key Name 'CustomBase' to 'Custom' (without the quotes) and it will also work without having to touch the value.
    Quote Originally Posted by ywenz View Post

i just added the "Sprint:PPC6800" to the values and it works. Thanks Taco Jackson
    Fixed.

Restart PIE.

Taco, Thank you!
    Thanks Taco!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

"Go forth and DIE!!" - Nathan Explosion
    Fixed.

Restart PIE.

Do we expect the videos to play right on the web or it will still pull up the windows media player?

thank you..
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    i just added the "Sprint:PPC6800" to the values and it works. Thanks Taco Jackson
    How exactly did you add it to the key? Can you post exactly what your have written in?
    For future reference: You delete the part that says "Treo800w/v0100" and replace it with "Sprint:PPC6800". That is what I did at least. It works now.

One side effect I noticed is that the default Sprint home page now doesn't recognize the device as a Treo 800w. This could lead to problems in the future I would assume.
    great hack...but the videos don't show. it asks to download and i do...then it won't open...do i need anothe app to play the vids?