Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Just to clarify...

If you have an unlimited data plan (but no messaging), are you charged for IM as text or does it go against the data plan?

Thanks-

John
    I'm pretty sure it goes against the Data for the built in IM program
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Warning: if the built in IM program you are referring to is Oz, that program, in fact, uses SMS and not data.
    When it installs, it clearly says it uses your data connection so to make sure that you have a plan, and it warns of charges otherwise, even if you're using wifi.
    yep...and if you try to use it and you are not connected..it connects you..so i assume it uses your data connection. But we all know what happens when you assume...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    Warning: if the built in IM program you are referring to is Oz, that program, in fact, uses SMS and not data.
    So even if you have unlimited data...still SMS. I'll load IM+ on then.

Thanks.

John
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Oz definitely uses SMS. However, the question is, does Sprint COUNT them towards your SMS allotment (if you have one). My thinking is no, because it is a special kind of SMS that goes only to this app and gets intercepted before your phone puts it into the messaging application. There are no warnings that I have seen about being charged for individual messages either. Of course, this is just an educated guess (assumption). Sprint needs to have some more specific information about how usage of this app gets billed...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

This is the sort of thing that would be cleared up (relatively) quickly if you just contacted Customer Service
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonq View Post
    This is the sort of thing that would be cleared up (relatively) quickly if you just contacted Customer Service
    Well let us know what they say.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Things like IM+ use data.

Does Agile Messenger work on 800w?
    agile works. It looks kinda crappy since it's not optimized for 320x320 yet, but all mediums work.
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    Well let us know what they say.
    I don't even *have* an 800w right now Swapping later this afternoon, or maybe tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    My thinking is no, because it is a special kind of SMS that goes only to this app and gets intercepted before your phone puts it into the messaging application.
    That would be incorrect. It's using SMS. Sprint doesn't care if it ends up in your messaging application otherwise someone would replace Mobile Outlook and everyone would have free, unlimited text messages.

If it uses SMS you will be charged for SMS. If it doesn't then you'll be charged for data
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Talkonaut works perfectly on this phone.. !!
    Anyone look at Mundu? It works fine, but makes no use of the soft keys. Stylus or finger and data are required with it.
    beejive.com

Jivetalk works the best for me. It's only in beta stages though
    I tried beejive but it kept giving me errors.

Check out palringo. By far the best i've tried so far.
    Octro FTW

Still the most "to the point" IM app, imo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter