Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 74 of 74
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    GDI has to be used due to the crappy directdraw drivers on the Touch/Mogul.
    Wrong. DirectDraw was fixed in the newest ROMs and is faster and better looking than GDI.
  2. #62  
    Whatever you say...

    I can't even select directdraw in coreplayer on my touch. I have to use another rendering option because the screen stays black in dd. In slingbox if I uncheck use GDI rendering it sputters, stalls etc, but If I check use GDI rendering it runs smooth as butter. Therefore my findings have not been as yours.

    they are working on it though http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...t+draw&page=32
    Last edited by volwrath; 07/23/2008 at 08:27 AM.
  3. #63  
    You're not using the drivers from the newest Mogul ROM then. AVC-encoded DVDs benchmark at approx. 200% using DirectDraw in CorePlayer. GDI and RawFrameBuffer are around 170%.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You're not using the drivers from the newest Mogul ROM then. AVC-encoded DVDs benchmark at approx. 200% using DirectDraw in CorePlayer. GDI and RawFrameBuffer are around 170%.
    And you're not using the drivers from the newest Touch ROM then...

    So it's a draw: both of your device trail here and will continue to do so, lol. Lets move on.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. H_D
    H_D is online now
    H_D's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    #65  
    This was one of the main issues I had switched from the Touch to my BBCurve but now that Palm has included the needed drivers, Im seriously considering the 800w now. I might just wait on another color to be released though.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And you're not using the drivers from the newest Touch ROM then...

    So it's a draw: both of your device trail here and will continue to do so, lol. Lets move on.
    Why would I use crappier drivers? How much sense does that make? LOL

    Anyone know why the 800w does so poorly in the D3D test? There are devices a couple of years old getting 200fps on the exact same test. Did Palm mess something up or is it because the CPU is so slow?
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Why would I use crappier drivers? How much sense does that make? LOL

    Anyone know why the 800w does so poorly in the D3D test? There are devices a couple of years old getting 200fps on the exact same test. Did Palm mess something up or is it because the CPU is so slow?
    why do you have to hack your device at all for graphic drivers?

    Re: "other devices" I have no idea what you are talking about. Which devices? What OS? What does 200fps mean in real life on the device?

    Film runs at 24 fps. Silent at 18 fps. While going above 24fps makes it smoother looking, the rate of return decreases with each extra FPS, so going over 40fps is not as important as hitting 24fps to begin with.

    If my 800w were supposed to compete against the PSP, it's be a different point.

    Where are you going with any of this?
  8. #68  
    Additionally it's not unknown that devices that try and use drivers/programs which are not designed for the device can give false readings.


    As an example, in Half-Life (1, the original), with a simple command you can get your FPS to shoot to 250 or higher.

    The game, however, cannot display above 100 FPS (hard coded limit).

    People would brag about how they could get 400 FPS in the game, failing to realize that it was simply a number and had no bearing on reality.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    why do you have to hack your device at all for graphic drivers?

    Re: "other devices" I have no idea what you are talking about. Which devices? What OS? What does 200fps mean in real life on the device?

    Film runs at 24 fps. Silent at 18 fps. While going above 24fps makes it smoother looking, the rate of return decreases with each extra FPS, so going over 40fps is not as important as hitting 24fps to begin with.

    If my 800w were supposed to compete against the PSP, it's be a different point.

    Where are you going with any of this?
    Um, obviously other WM phones released in the past 2 years. LOL
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    Whatever you say...

    I can't even select directdraw in coreplayer on my touch. I have to use another rendering option because the screen stays black in dd. In slingbox if I uncheck use GDI rendering it sputters, stalls etc, but If I check use GDI rendering it runs smooth as butter. Therefore my findings have not been as yours.

    they are working on it though http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...t+draw&page=32
    FWIW, the Mogul just got newer drivers. D3D tests are sick now. You might try using them on your Touch.
  11. willysp's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    FWIW, the Mogul just got newer drivers. D3D tests are sick now. You might try using them on your Touch.
    You're refering to the software (not hardware) drivers, right?
  12. #72  
    90+ fps on the Mogul using the new drivers on the D3D test, btw.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    90+ fps on the Mogul using the new drivers on the D3D test, btw.
    Yeah, except those only speed up D3D, and there are, what, two games that take advantage of that? 2D acceleration is the more important, and those software drivers don't help us there.
  14. willysp's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    90+ fps on the Mogul using the new drivers on the D3D test, btw.
    Which means what, exactly, in the real world?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions